Graphics Driver Issue After 10.5.3 AMD Update

MasterBeta

21 posts in this topic

I have an nVidia GeForce 7600GT graphics card, and an AMD CPU. I installed the 10.5.3 AMD update today and it worked okay, but since, it seems there are no Nvidia graphics drivers installed, as Exposé is crawling, as is my screensaver. I have a feeling all I need to do is a replace/add the nvidia kext, but I'm not sure how...Any help? If it matters, I have Time Machine set up, so I can access any system files from before the update.

I downloaded NVinject 0.2.1, opened the terminal and ran chmod and chown on it, then moved the file to /System/Library/Extensions/ and ran the .command file to clear the caches. Then I restarted. QE is still not supported though.

I have the same problem but with a 8800 GTS 512MB G92, on a Nforce 590 AMD.

I do a fresh kalyway 10.5.2 install and then apply the update with AMD updater and then installing a 9.3 kernel from modbin.

I try EFI-Gfx Strings, NVKush, NvInstaller(the version that works on 10.5.3), replacing the kernel for a 9.2, replacing the video kext's for old ones.

But nothing work.

I'll try NVKush, but after trying to fix it on my own, I've made things worse, because now I'm stuck in 1024x768 because I tried backing up the GeForce drivers from Time Machine and forgot to set permissions again so they're not loading as proper drivers. Should I uninstall them first or just install NVKush?

EDIT

Okay scratch that. It's actually so broken now it won't even boot up. I think I can get into Single-User mode but I think it'd be a big hassle to repair it that way. I can't access Time Machine from the install DVD (it freezes while loading it after I go to that option), but I can just do a standard Time Machine install and then access my Time Machine backups to do a system restore, right?

Sorry to revive this old thread, but as it would turn out, I had broken my installation entirely by mucking about too much trying to repair the kexts. Now I've got a fresh install, with settings and programs restored via Time Machine, and I'm ready to have another go. Before install NVKush, should I delete any kexts from my previous graphics card driver, or just leave them be?