OSX86 on Intel P45 chipset?

BiTRiP

818 posts in this topic

Hey All,

Yesterday I bought one of the latest motherboards of Asus, the P5Q3.

This motherboard has also one of the latest chipsets of Intel, P45.

Before I bought it, i did some researh but without result so I just bought it, thinking it wouldn't be that hard to get osx86 on it.... :trumpet:

Unfortunately I am not even able to boot the install dvd or boot from a running version of OSX on a USB drive.

The boot already stops at the beginning like is showed here:

error.jpg

Does anyone already have more luck with P45 boards and Leopard?

Any tips are welcome!

Thanks guys.

BiTRiP

:help:

I've checked the BIOS on the new ASUS P45 based boards about a week ago, and they need a modified DSDT, I can try making a BIOS mod for you, another option is: try using an old AppleACPIPlatform kext (pre 10.4.8) like the ones used in kalyway's DVD and probably also in leo4all, you'll need to boot with cpus=1 (yes this means only one core).

But then my system will use only 1 core ?!?!?!?

I just bought a quad-core so would like to use the full benifit of it.

I will try to install 10.4.x later this night to see what it does...

BiTRiP

CPU=1 as startup-option gave no other results.

Neither old releases like 10.4.8 or Kalyway 10.5.1, it only reboots automaticly itstead of hanging but quits on some spot.

BTW: CPU is a Q9450 quad core.

BiTRiP.

Unfortunately I am not even able to boot the install dvd

Hi there, i managed to boot Kalyway 10.5.2 and install the System on my P45 Board. I needed to remove AppleSMC.kext to get it to work.

But still no boot from HDD :)

Will notice if i get any further on this.

I've checked the BIOS on the new ASUS P45 based boards about a week ago, and they need a modified DSDT, I can try making a BIOS mod for you, another option is: try using an old AppleACPIPlatform kext (pre 10.4.8) like the ones used in kalyway's DVD and probably also in leo4all, you'll need to boot with cpus=1 (yes this means only one core).

Hi Kabyl,

i even tried the older *ACPI* and *APIC* kext with no luck yet :(

Hi there, i managed to boot Kalyway 10.5.2 and install the System on my P45 Board. I needed to remove AppleSMC.kext to get it to work.

Oh, well done! So you were able to install it but after first boot it didn't boot anymore?

At least you got the install working which gives me already a bit of hope :P

Tonight I'm going to inspect again what will fix this problem.

Cheers,

BiTRiP

I have the same problem (my motherboard is Asus P5Q Deluxe).

I read in some forum to change in the Bios SATA RAID AHCI Mode from IDE to AHCI. Tonight I try to install without the AppleSMC.kext....

A question for IPhoneTom. What happen after you successful install Kalyway in your PC? did you lost dual boot with windows vista?

Thanks

I have the same problem (my motherboard is Asus P5Q Deluxe).

I read in some forum to change in the Bios SATA RAID AHCI Mode from IDE to AHCI. Tonight I try to install without the AppleSMC.kext....

A question for IPhoneTom. What happen after you successful install Kalyway in your PC? did you lost dual boot with windows vista?

Thanks

I have three hdds, one for vista, one for osx and one for all the data used in both worlds...i boot only and always by bios boot select...

Oh, well done! So you were able to install it but after first boot it didn't boot anymore?

At least you got the install working which gives me already a bit of hope :D

Tonight I'm going to inspect again what will fix this problem.

Cheers,

BiTRiP

No, no first boot yet. It boots only from the install media dvd.

Just picked up an Asus P5Q Deluxe yesterday to replace my P5B Deluxe (on which I had Leopard running :D ).

I've tried:

- booting from the existing HDDs - No

- installing Kalyway 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 - No

- installing Leo4all 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 - No

- tried AHCI - No

Depending on which distro I used, I would get to different points in the install before it would restart my computer. Looking forward to some solution.

How are you guys setting up the BIOS?

BTW .. overclocking an E8400 and have it up to 3.7 without sweating it .... looks like plenty of room left. :D

OK, except the audio I have a FULLY working machine on my P5Q3 p45 ICH10R mobo!!

I have to look into the audio since it's a new ADI2000B sound onboard. But rest is working fine!

See picture...its real! :hysterical:

post-18995-1214704762_thumb.jpg

OK, except the audio I have a FULLY working machine on my P5Q3 p45 ICH10R mobo!!

I have to look into the audio since it's a new ADI2000B sound onboard. But rest is working fine!

See picture...its real! :D

post-18995-1214704762_thumb.jpg

This is great news! what was the trick? I am very interested in using the new Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 to build some very nice workstations and a server. Teaming the 4 gbe should allow for server/client HD video workflow. Please let me know how you got P45/ICH10R working.

Thanks!

-genzai

The GigaByte boards should work just fine, and I even recommend them, because they use ALC889a (0x0885 as a dev-id like in real Macs) and the RealTek NIC that is known to work OOTB..

the problem with MSI is the Processor Aliases thing in the DSDT. Now, new ASUS boards (P45 based) have this thing too, so that explains why it didn't work for BiTRiP and he had to use a modified BIOS..

I still recommend GigaByte boards..

-Kabyl

All honour goes to Kabyl who helpt me to make this possible.

He modified the biosrom and after double checking for bios backup chips, in case something went wrong, I reflashed it and could boot it from a pre-installed USB drive.

Then i installed 10.5.1 from retail dmg and upgraded to 10.5.3.

Just some minor plist edits to get all NIC's working etc and then it was done.

Fully working new system.

Thanks again Kabyl!

BiTRiP

The GigaByte boards should work just fine, and I even recommend them, because they use ALC889a (0x0885 as a dev-id like in real Macs) and the RealTek NIC that is known to work OOTB..

the problem with MSI is the Processor Aliases thing in the DSDT. Now, new ASUS boards (P45 based) have this thing too, so that explains why it didn't work for BiTRiP and he had to use a modified BIOS..

I still recommend GigaByte boards..

-Kabyl

Very cool. For my own interest, can you describe what DSDT is, why it causes problems, and what affect changing it has other than finally allowing OSX to boot? Maybe you can even describe the bios hack procedure at some point so that us interested parties could help make the modifications?

Many thanks,

genzai