Sleep on Thinkpads

dRkLePtO

25 posts in this topic

I managed to have a (near) fully working installation of MacOSX 10.5.3 on my ThinkPad z61t and I thank this great forum for all the precious info I found on it.

Now what I'm trying to acquire is the Sleep functionality.

System goes to standby easily but when I woke it up I get:

Error 0192: System Security - Embedded Security hardware tamper detected

I've already seen something about this problem on the forum but I can't find any solution.

Somebody can help?

Thanks for your time

kLe

A great thank you to daveb4 for his first generous help:

Well, I did it a long time ago now, but here is what I can say to help:

1. Replace your SMBIOS kext with a one declaring that you are running on a macbook

Go to MacNub's site: http://my.macdotnub.info/ and download the corresponding kext

Replace the kext as usual (refer to the numerous forum posts for fixing permissions and rebooting with -f to force the kextcache rebuild)

2. Boot in safe mode and verify that suspend does work

At the boot prompt, press F8 and then load OSX with the -x command line option, ie type:

F8 <return>

-x <return> and that should be it

Once booted, check if the ACPILPC is associated with any of your hardware resources:

ioreg -l | grep -i ACPILPC

this command should not return any result, indicating that the kext is not loaded

Try FN-F4 to see if the machine goes to sleep and /resumes/ correctly.

3. Now reboot in normal mode, ie without the -x option and check again for the ACPILPC extension.

This time you should find that the kext is loaded and associated with your hardware. Please note the pci IDs of the HW associated with ACPILPC. You may have to use a full ioreg -l | more and search for ACPILPC (note: use '/' to search while in "more" mode). FN-F4 and resume should fail now.

So the trick is to edit /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPILPC.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and comment out the pci line to avoid the kext to match with the HW. In my case, the file was edited to look like :

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<-- <string>pci8086,27b9</string> -->

<string>pci8086,27bd</string>

<string>pci8086,2670</string>

</array>

fix perms and reboot with -f to force the cache clean

4. Check that ACPILPC is not loaded but that the rest of the system does work, ie graphic acceleration, etc.; try FN-F4 and resume and it should be ok

Hope this helps

I follow your instructions and everything went smooth till point 2.

Suspend and resume works like a charm in safe mode!! ;)

My true words had been: "Non ci posso credere!!" (I can't believe it!! ;) ).. with even some kind of happiness tears!! (just joking..)

But when I reboot in normal mode, even if there's no association with ACPILPC, I can't do it again.

I've attached my ioreg output from normal boot, maybe it could be helpful?

ioreg.txt

:):D:DUH YEAH! I GOT IT!!! :D:D:D

There was no reference to ACPIPLC so I tried to remove reference to my hardware (8086:27bc) from

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPILPC.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleLPC.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Restored permissions, removed Extensions.mkext (useless?) and rebooted with "-f" flag:

Sleep and resume works with no collateral damage (apparently!!! :rolleyes: ) even on my ThinkPad! No more 0192! (for now? :P:( )

Many thanks Dave!

PS: No more battery meter nor power saving features.. But sleep works great! (display light?)

Lenovo R60 sleep works ! thanks!

that's great news,....

vanilla fsb=166

works now with power cable, and slot battery !

now if speedstep would work, that be great.

misc:

disc drive in slot drive don't boot, think it has a sata to pata adapter,....

UPDATE:

An easier way:

Simply delete

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPILPC.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleLPC.kext

And battery meter keeps working!

eNjOy!

UPDATE:

An easier way:

Simply delete

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPILPC.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleLPC.kext

And battery meter keeps working!

eNjOy!

Hey, I used kalyway, and don't even have the AppleACPILPC.kext under plugins. My sleep doesn't return any errors, it just immediately wakes up. I have a lenovo T61 core2Duo T7300 with Intel X3100. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey, I used kalyway, and don't even have the AppleACPILPC.kext under plugins. My sleep doesn't return any errors, it just immediately wakes up. I have a lenovo T61 core2Duo T7300 with Intel X3100. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Give a try to Leo4Allv3.. I used that and it gave me very positive results..

Works for me too.

But only the methode of editing the Info.plist. (Only AppleLPC.kext in my case, AppleACPILPC isn't loaded by default in my case)

If i delete the extensions osx dont boot anymore.

Lemmy01, what exactly did you do? I would like to get sleep working on T61. Did yours instantly awake from sleep before using this fix? This would be very helpful, because I only have the AppleLPC.kext loaded by default as well. Thanks

Lemmy01, what exactly did you do? I would like to get sleep working on T61. Did yours instantly awake from sleep before using this fix? This would be very helpful, because I only have the AppleLPC.kext loaded by default as well. Thanks

Before this fix i get the security tamper 192 error.

What i have done you could read here:z61p topic

ralf

• 1 month later...

With stock kernel, mine sleeps, and now wakes without 0192 security error after removing the *LPC.kext.

Moreover, my display sleeps correctly.

After sleeping,

the processor/fan comes on,

But screen remains black(i.e. off), this is not just a display issue because the power button can't be called to shutdown/restart.

have tried both hibernate modes 0,1,3 via pmset, same issue.

Thinkpad T60p 2007-83G

• 2 weeks later...
With stock kernel, mine sleeps, and now wakes without 0192 security error after removing the *LPC.kext.

After sleeping,

But screen remains black(i.e. off), this is not just a display issue because the power button can't be called to shutdown/restart.

Thinkpad T60p 2007-83G

Mmmmmhh.... :) Try another kernel.... Or "distro"..

I'm using Leo4All.

After sleeping,

Thinkpad T60p 2007-83G

I have, (I think) the same issue. I replace my AppleSMBIOS.kext with macdotnub's version, did the chmod+chown+rm Extensions.mkext&reboot thing, booting into safe mode (F8+-x). Doing Fn-F4 seems to sleep properly, but the pressing the power button, the machine appears to wake up (fan restarts) but I get a black screen and have to hold down the power button to switch off.

I have Thinkpad T60p (2007-CTO) (Very similar setup to Finetuned's, but with 14" screen) and am running Kalyway 10.5.1 + Kalyway 10.5.2 update, post LGU, Vanilla kernel 9.2.2. Any ideas on what to check? I recall messing with something a while back, trying to get sleep working, though :) if I can remember now what I did, so perhaps that's an issue?

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Z61p, having a little trouble.

hopefully you can give me a hint.

USB not working and the wifi and Bluetooth indicator lights not working under the display.

Bluetooth not working.

In your opinion, what would be the best kernel to use for these z series laptops?

Any help appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, this got sleep working on my R60. Started from iATKOS v4 10.5.4 install, then did the SMBIOS change and no acpilpc.

BTW, my r60 is gma 950 graphics. I used kalyway sleep kernel from 10.5.2 disc (actually a ToH kernel I think).

Here's a question. What newer kernels work for thinkpad sleep? It seems like vanilla kernels don't work on my R60 (just reboots right at/after kernel load).

• 2 weeks later...
I have, (I think) the same issue. I replace my AppleSMBIOS.kext with macdotnub's version, did the chmod+chown+rm Extensions.mkext&reboot thing, booting into safe mode (F8+-x). Doing Fn-F4 seems to sleep properly, but the pressing the power button, the machine appears to wake up (fan restarts) but I get a black screen and have to hold down the power button to switch off.

I have Thinkpad T60p (2007-CTO) (Very similar setup to Finetuned's, but with 14" screen) and am running Kalyway 10.5.1 + Kalyway 10.5.2 update, post LGU, Vanilla kernel 9.2.2. Any ideas on what to check? I recall messing with something a while back, trying to get sleep working, though :) if I can remember now what I did, so perhaps that's an issue?

Cheers

I have same issue.  I can sleep/wake up in safe mode, but get a black screen after waking up in normal mode.

I m using ATIinject with my EDID.  I can get dual display in normal mode and single display in safe mode.  I tried a lots of combination of ATIinject/Info.plist to disable dual display, but with no luck.  I think this maybe relate to the sleep issue.  Does anyone know how to disable dual display by ATIinject setting?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Did you ever get around your problem. I have only seen this once before but now I can't boot the computer and fails with this error 0192. Any help other than replace system board is needed.

I managed to have a (near) fully working installation of MacOSX 10.5.3 on my ThinkPad z61t and I thank this great forum for all the precious info I found on it.

Now what I'm trying to acquire is the Sleep functionality.

System goes to standby easily but when I woke it up I get:

Error 0192: System Security - Embedded Security hardware tamper detected

I've already seen something about this problem on the forum but I can't find any solution.

Somebody can help?

Thanks for your time

kLe

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried the method shown in daveb4's post.

Here is the output of "ioreg -l | grep -i ACPILPC"

1951-44U:~ philipchang$ ioreg -l | grep -i ACPILPC
| |   | +-o AppleACPILPC  <class AppleACPILPC, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 4>
| |   |	   "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.driver.AppleACPILPC"
| |   |	   "IOClass" = "AppleACPILPC"

After replacing the AppleSMBIOS.kext with one from here: http://rapidshare.com/files/119687704/smbios.zip.html

I redid permissions and everything. And my /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPILPC.kext/Contents/Info.plist file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>AppleACPIPlatform</string>
<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
<string>1.2.4, Copyright Apple Inc. 2003-2008</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>Apple ACPI Platform Expert</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>1.2.4</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>1.2.4</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
	<key>ACPI CPU Driver</key>
	<dict>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AppleACPICPU</string>
		<key>IONameMatch</key>
		<string>processor</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>1000</integer>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOACPIPlatformDevice</string>
	</dict>
	<key>ACPI Interrupt Link</key>
	<dict>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AppleACPIInterruptLink</string>
		<key>IONameMatch</key>
		<string>PNP0C0F</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>1000</integer>
		<string>IOACPIPlatformDevice</string>
	</dict>
	<key>ACPI Platform Expert</key>
	<dict>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AppleACPIPlatformExpert</string>
		<key>IONameMatch</key>
		<string>ACPI</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>10000</integer>
		<string>IOPlatformExpertDevice</string>
		<key>intel-pic</key>
		<dict>
			<key>IOName</key>
			<string>8259-pic</string>
			<key>InterruptControllerName</key>
			<string>8259-pic</string>
		</dict>
		<key>top-level</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>IOName</key>
				<string>bios</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>
</dict>
<key>NSHumanReadableCopyright</key>
<string>Copyright Apple Inc. 2003-2008</string>
<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>
<string>1.2.4</string>
<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily</key>
	<string>1.0.0d1</string>
	<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
	<string>1.1</string>
	<key>com.apple.kernel.libkern</key>
	<string>1.1</string>
	<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
	<string>8.7.2</string>
	<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
	<string>8.7.2</string>
	<key>com.apple.kpi.unsupported</key>
	<string>8.7.2</string>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I'm stuck at this point. Anyone know what to do? There seems to be no ill effect on the system so I'm keeping the SMBIOS.kext on there and not restoring back from Time Machine.

• 4 months later...