USB Hotplug Fixer

~pcwiz

30 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
OK another new one attached. This time I added an error handler--

Hi PcWiz,

I've modified your script slightly to get rid of those non zero errors, see attached.

Apparently when grep doesn't find a string it returns a 1 and apple script perceives it as a failed run. Without grep script actually runs faster and avoids the above problem.

I am seeing com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass loaded after running the script, but after some time it gets unloaded. Any ideas?

PCWizUSBHotplugFixer.app

• 1 year later...
~pcwiz, until you have refined the query if the IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext is loaded or not: attached is a lil script that will load the kext without checking. If one runs the correct system/kernel combination and the kext is already loaded, it should simply detect the kext being loaded, and nothing.

kext is loaded with sudo, so if not logged in as root, one will be asked for the admin PW.

If logged in as root, simply add an entry to your account's loggin items (check the box to run hidden). If usually you do rather not log in as root you might simply run the script on demand (desktop, dock whatever).

The script closes with killall Terminal so there is no windows to close.

(Adding the kextload to rc.common as some people suggest does NOT work)

BIG THANKS

This solved the slow usb problem I was having in my snow leo install, doing an install disk (via restore) from and to usb disk the time went from 14hs to 25 minutes!

Maybe its unstable, I hope not, its working superfast as I write this.

If I only were able to make work lan & wifi on this netbook I would be uber happy (hp mini 5101)

:D