Introducing: OSx86 Tools Utility

49 posts in this topic

If just I hadn't wiped out my osx86 partition last night, I would test it today... Great job, one the two problems that doesn't allow osx to become my main operational system is fixed: shutdown problems. The other is quality audio drivers, I'm still waiting for Taruga and his AppleHDA driver to support my AD1988b to really change from Linux to OSX. Until it happens I will stick to opensuse.

Wicked utility. Congrats mate! This is the long-awaited solution for people with pathological command line phobia like myself (I'm very dyslexic and keep miscopying and pasting /typing important details.)

Anyway, just a constructive bug report. I tried to change my CPU info but it messed up the About this Mac popup. I see now 'ABOUT_BOX_PROCESSOR_LABEL ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT' and ABOUT_BOX_MEMORY_LABEL ABOUT_BOX_MEMORY_FIELD_FORMAT'

I tried the reset function but it didn't change anything. I have one of those SMBIOS for CS3 to work, if that is of any help to trace the problem. I don't remember where exactly I got it from. It's date-stamped on the 11th of November 2007, 21:03.

As it's apparently just cosmetic it's no biggie but perhaps someone else might come across this problem.

cheers

sol

Wicked utility. Congrats mate! This is the long-awaited solution for people with pathological command line phobia like myself (I'm very dyslexic and keep miscopying and pasting /typing important details.)

Anyway, just a constructive bug report. I tried to change my CPU info but it messed up the About this Mac popup. I see now 'ABOUT_BOX_PROCESSOR_LABEL ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT' and ABOUT_BOX_MEMORY_LABEL ABOUT_BOX_MEMORY_FIELD_FORMAT'

I tried the reset function but it didn't change anything. I have one of those SMBIOS for CS3 to work, if that is of any help to trace the problem. I don't remember where exactly I got it from. It's date-stamped on the 11th of November 2007, 21:03.

As it's apparently just cosmetic it's no biggie but perhaps someone else might come across this problem.

cheers

sol

If you flick though the last few pages of the Official OSx86 Tools thread, then you will find the solution to this problem. :P

PCWIZ,

Pardon the noob question, but I'm not clear on how to use this application. I have Kaly 10.5.3 running very nicely on my Hack, with sleep more or less working.

What would I do with this app to improve my Hack?

Thanks for all of your enthusiastic work.

rheneas,

Well check around the User Guide for things that you might like. Mostly its a maintenance/install helper utility, and other than Quartz GL and About this Mac mods, there isn't much it can do if you already have your hack working more or less perfectly.

Also, announcement to everyone:

Calling ALL shell scripting gurus! Help fix the shell script that is the only thing stopping OSx86 Tools from final release!

^ ^ Much appreciated if people could help out there. Also, OSx86 Tools has been translated to Brazilian Portuguese (thanks cabron!) and French (thanks sonotone!). :)

:(

hudmodjs3.png

Don't worry, I'm not gonna switch the app to HUD right now, I was just having some fun with appkits and interface builder :)

EDIT:

Introducing OSx86 Tools Build 149 (not released yet, but coming soon):

newhudnc8.png

HUDized B) All windows have been switched to awesome looking HUD styles except for the main window :)

Hi ~pcwiz,

Thanks so much for your work. Such a wicked little utility which is gonna save the brain of hundreds, i'm sure!

Keep up the good work!!

- Jim

PS. You spelt "Customization" wrong in your app. :)

Feature Request! / New Idea

Hi pcwiz, awesome job! Simply amazing! Your tool will help a lot of people out there, especially the new ones out there, im sure!

But… i have a dream. i have a dream. that one day (no we dont need to stand on a hill) there is a combined information on software updates working with hackintoshes.

For now, please correct me if im wrong, the procedure is as follows: A new software update shows up in software update and you think, yeah i wanna install that, i have to, its itching me - but then the big question: is it safe? is it safe for my hack? So what do you do? search the forums. and when youre lucky and mostly you are, you realize that others did what you just wanted to do and they wrecked their install. or you make a backup, install it and when it goes wrong you "downgrade" again. While all that is reasonable with one update, multiplicate the time when there are lets say 4 or five updates in a row. and then, even if you search the forums, and people say, yeah, it worked (but dont mention they have vanilla, efi, whatsoever) you do the update and you are screwed because of your fancy zx spectrum processor on your WII motherboard (kidding, but you get the picture).

So…

How about a utility that:

- is a software update verifier (think of it as an update hcl app)

- takes your hack details (once entered by you or "automatic")

- and tells you, whether a specific update is safe (based on other submitted peoples entries)

- and when you updated, asks you on restart (if youre lucky) whether it was successfull and puts that information in an online database with your hack details, which it used before to retrieve information from to check wheteher the update is safe for you or not.

- this way, all information is not scattered in the forum or in post over x pages and everyone contributes to make our update whoes easier.

actually, i think the tool should nag us to post the update success or failure...

and yes, i have no clue. no clue about how demanding and complicated and time consuming all that might be. but hey, its just an idea. so please no bashing, it was just a thought. and i have a name for it too:

Central Station!

- That would require a large online database of OSx86 update safety information

- Getting the hack details would be pretty easy

The challenge here would be to actually build the database and coding the interaction between the program and the database. I won't say that it's impossible, but it would definitely take a lot of work and a lot of community cooperation. If someone here would be willing to code the database in PHP or whatever I would be happy to take a shot at making the app.

I got the same result when I tried to update my processor data. I couldn't restore it, either. Guess I'll have to reinstall 10.5.4.

GIGABYTE P35C-DS3R

Q6600 2.4 ghz

KINGSTON HyperX 4GB 800MHz

GeForce® 7300GS