PCSX2 on Mac ?

112 posts in this topic

Unbelievable work. I do have one curiosity though. How difficult would it be to make a cocoa gui on top of the core emulator? MPlayer is an interesting example of something along these lines. The svn of mplayerosx pulls both the cocoa gui and the sources. The player can be compiled using traditional configure and make and run via command line as usual. Placing this binary in a certain directory within the gui sources then allows one to compile a very nice gui to be use to control the player. I wonder if this would eventually be feasible for this amazing port you're working on.

a gui could be nice, but wouldn't that mean there is a slight decrease in performance?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok this is driving me nuts. I installed all the necessary libraries and everything and extracted PCSX2 with "tar xzvf pcsx2.tar.gz," changed the permissions on everything like the Wiki says, but ran into a few errors. I forget what they were, but I remember it saying something about how it couldn't find pcsxAbout.bmp, which apparently means it was extracted wrong. So I deleted the PCSX2 folder, re-downloaded it, re-extracted it, and set the permissions again. Another (different) set of errors, and again it couldn't find the directory. I've downloaded and extracted it at least 5 times now and I've only gotten it to find the directory once (after which it crashed when I tried to run a game and it went back to not being able to find the folder).

I think the problem is related to the fact that it keeps trying to use my home folder as the PCSX2 folder. Every time I run the executable it creates the inis and NONE folders in my home folder. I have no idea how to change it so it uses the PCSX2 folder, though. Can anyone help me out here?

• 3 weeks later...

I followed the wiki guide and installed xQuartz, NVidia CG Framework, GTK Redistributable etc. but when I run pcsx2, I get:

$ ./pcsx2 

(<unknown>:20022): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Anyone have any idea what that means or how to fix it?

I guess pcsx2 needs to be run from an xterm. Ran X11.app and went from there. I get the pcsx2 gui now :unsure:

However, trying to run CD with CDVDnull Driver or Linuzappz Iso results in a white ZeroGS window and the following in the xterm:

ZeroGS: Cg error: CG ERROR : The compile returned an error.
 last listing: /Users/backward/Desktop/pcsx2/pcsx2/bin/../plugins/gs/zerogs/opengl/ps2hw.fx(719) : error C5210: assignment among incompatible concrete types
(865) : fatal error C9999: unable to generate code, no legal types for program.

ZeroGS: Failed to load ps CRTCTargInterPS: 
/Users/backward/Desktop/pcsx2/pcsx2/bin/../plugins/gs/zerogs/opengl/ps2hw.fx(719) : error C5210: assignment among incompatible concrete types
(865) : fatal error C9999: unable to generate code, no legal types for program.

ZeroGS: zerogs.cpp:1687: LoadExtraEffects()

btw, I'm running OSX 10.5.6 and XQuartz 2.3.1.

@CaptainEvilStomper: I get an inis directory in my home dir as well but not NONE.

backward, yeah, that's a known issue i think. Rayan from macscene has posted the following solution:

I have found a fix for your issue, I had the same one on my MacBook Pro rev 3.

You need to open up the ./pcsx2/plugins/gs/zerogs/opengl/ps2hw.fx shader file, and edit line 719 (indeed, the one indicated in the error message). You change "half4" to "float4".

In other words, change this at line 714:

half4 CRTCTargInterPS(in float2 tex0 : TEXCOORD0, in float2 ointerpos : TEXCOORD1) : COLOR

{

float finter = texRECT(g_sInterlace, ointerpos.yy).x;

clip(finter * g_fOneColor.z + g_fOneColor.w);

half4 c = BilinearFloat16(tex0);

c.w = g_fc0.w*c.w * g_fOneColor.x + g_fOneColor.y;

return c;

}

to this:

half4 CRTCTargInterPS(in float2 tex0 : TEXCOORD0, in float2 ointerpos : TEXCOORD1) : COLOR

{

float finter = texRECT(g_sInterlace, ointerpos.yy).x;

clip(finter * g_fOneColor.z + g_fOneColor.w);

float4 c = BilinearFloat16(tex0);

c.w = g_fc0.w*c.w * g_fOneColor.x + g_fOneColor.y;

return c;

}

Would you mind making a tutorial for someone who doesn't know much on this stuff (in this case, me)? Your tutorial you posted earlier in this topic was a bit too advanced for me. I know, it's probably really noobish, but I don't have a clue about this stuff, so if you could add a little more detail, that would be great. A video tutorial would REALLY help, if possible.

All I know is that I have pretty much all the files I needed to download from the tutorial. I'm clueless about some of the other stuff. x_x

Thanks Zedr0n, that worked. I was able to run La Pucelle usually around 25fps but 3fps in the world map. This old mbp is doing ok with pcsx2:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz

3GB RAM

ATI Radeon X1600 128MB

@Deathblade: I'll pm you since I think you want help with shell commands which is a little offtopic.

I've had some time recently and it seems like quite a lot of people are having problems with installing all the necessary libs, compiling fontconfig, whatever, so i've made a .pkg. I've tried to test it but it was rather limited testing so I need you to tell me if it really works as it should :)

The package will install all necessary libs in correct locations and pcsx2/mac itself would be in Applications/pcsx2

This package also includes the spu plugin, ported by rayan from macscene forums. Thanks go to him for his good work.

Well, nothing much to say, grab it here - http://pcsx2-mac.quant0r.com/files/pcsx2.pkg

Awesome. It works now. That package helped a lot.

Just one more thing. I keep getting "Bus error" whenever I hit execute. I don't have the CG Framework completely installed yet, but that message doesn't sound like it has to do with that. Of course, I'm clueless about Unix coding, so I could be wrong, but I don't know. I'll just install CG Framework and see from there. I'll edit this post in a bit if that fixes it.

I can't seem to get it to work. All I get is this:

ZeroGS: creating
Bus error
logout

And I get this message when I first start it up:

** (<unknown>:1202): WARNING **: Couldn't find pixmap file: pcsxAbout.bmp

I don't know if that has anything to do with the "Bus error" thing, but it seems important, so I thought I'd post that too.

I tried everything though. For example, I just recently thought that putting the CG Framework in a specific spot would help, but so far it doesn't. I'm getting very close to getting it to fully work, so any help would be awesome.

I finally got a ps3 controller so i could test ffxii for a bit in-game. I've also updated to latest pcsx2 playground svn so hoped it would be a bit faster. Well, it did get a bit faster but ffxii is still pretty intensive so i got around 20fps. As in it sometimes got up to 50fps and sometimes dropped to 10fps :D

Here's some video - mind you, the video makes it around 2 times slower so the speeds aren't really representative.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=evR-96NKkpE

Impressive. You even got some sound working. And if the real speed is 2x faster, it must be pretty sweet. Of course, FFXII is quite detailed and hard to run, so getting those kinds of speeds on a Mac is awesome. Pretty soon you'll be running it as if it were being played on PS2 itself.

I'm still trying to solve the errors that I get when I try to run a game on it. I'm impressed with how far you've gotten me though. I usually could never do something that high tech. Of course, you did the work, but it still feels cool when I run it on my Mac. ^_^b

Wow, that's pretty much the normal speed of the game when played on PS2. I know too, I used to own it. But you did say it was faster when you're not recording, so it must run at the same speed or more as the real thing. Great job. You're starting to get so good at this that it's almost not suprising when you make these breakthroughs, they're almost expected. Of course, it's still amazing to see and fun to look forward to when I check this page every now and then.

I'm probably rambling on though. I should probably stop posting and commenting every time you post. :D;

Sweet! I just tried chmod 777 on the USB plugin (I found out that the USB plugin, USB Linuz or whatever, was the reason for the "Bus error") and it worked and I can now access its configuration menu that has the Ethernet and HDD device options. There's a drop-down window for each option, but they both are blank. I'm thinking that you just have to type in all that info. That's what I plan to do next. Hopefully it works. ;)

Awesome pictures too, Zedr0n. It looks like you have a great frame rate and spectacular graphics.

Edit: Dang. I can't get it to work. It doesn't save the settings and I don't exactly know what to put in the blank "Device" parts. I'm going to need help again. >_<

Edit again: Well, I used GSsoft Plugin 1.0.0 instead of ZeroGS and found that it works better. Now I get a whole lot of code before it finally says this:

2008-12-26 21:50:56.893 pcsx2[4204:1203] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Error (1002) setting window owner'
2008-12-26 21:50:56.893 pcsx2[4204:1203] Stack: (
)
Trace/BPT trap
logout

[Process completed]

I almost have it. I don't know what to do from there. It's just about to open the window, but it quits for some reason. Help would be awesome.

Hey, I haven't checked that topic for a while.

The work accomplished is just great ! :)

I tried the Xmas package on my macbook even if it's a bit useless because of my intel GMA950 --" but still I was curious ^^

It's great to have PCSX2 with pluggins just by cliking install, ok ^^ !

I have a "bus error" but it seems that I'm not the only one to get this one, so I put it if it can help somehow ...

ZeroGS: ******
ZeroGS: GS WARNING: Floating point render targets not supported, switching to 32bit
ZeroGS: *********
ZeroGS: Disabling MRT depth writing
Bus error

( I have the latest x11 and the CG kit )

So thanks again for all that stuff, and the vid of KingdomE is impressive ;)

Adrien0203, Check that you are not using any frame limit/skip option in CPU window, it doesn't work in this build

Deathblade, you need to launch pcsx2 from X11(Applications/Utilities/X11.app). Opening X11 will open xterm window where you need to type

cd /Applications/pcsx2/bin

./pcsx2