Slow Graphic Performances Before Sleep

mrroboto

18 posts in this topic

Instead of puting the System to sleep, just make the Display Sleep, you can do it with hot corners (on Exposé pane) or with a pogram called SleepDisplay, it take less than a second.

I think is a issue of 8400 cards on Notebooks becaus I see no noe reported this issue on 8400 for desktops.

• 4 months later...

I have the same problem:

GeForce 6600GT

MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum

AMD64 3200

2Gb

I tried making the display sleep using the corners, but that didn't work. I'll try the platform=x86pc to see if that makes a difference. Does anyone know of any material on the web about this graphics card issue, but not necessarily related to osx?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have an option in your BIOS for "usb keyboard/storage support"? I disabled this option in my BIOS (K8N NEO2) and now OSX flies.

To clarify I now have the "USB mouse" and "USB keyboard/storage support" options DISABLED in the BIOS. Let me know if this helps anyone. I'm trying to get a technical explanation for this.

• 1 month later...

Problem found: as in Windows, mac reduces the GPU clocks when any 3D rendering app is running to enlarge battery life, and the real issue is that this doesn't work after sleep display.

You can check this if you open any application that uses 3D (games or iTunes visualizer) an look at how the desktop effects speed increases instantly.

If you want to have clocks at max speed every time you can do two things:

1 - Modify your GPU bios to use the same clocks every time in every GPU profile.

2 - You can create a script with SleepDisplay 1.0 (wich works in Leopard) and

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to key code 59'

remember there's a time delay when any app starts up (this time is even bigger when you are logging) so use

SLEEP <sleep time in seconds>

between both comands

• 2 months later...
i have bad graphic performance after a fresh boot, to get back to normal i should at first put the pc to sleep

I had the same problem with my Asus 9400GT vga (passive cooled), to solve this problem I dump the Bios rom, than using NiBiTor i check the clock setting and I had this:

clock.png

As you can see te 2D clock setting are lower than the default (extra). all I have to do is to set to 0 the "2D Clock" save and flash it back. (I used the Bios from an BFG 9400gt as reference)

ciao

Davide

Not really, if you try chameleon 2.0 RC1 you will solve this issue without modifying your vga bios performance profiles. Another new issue that may appear with this bootloader is a random dock speed, mainly slow.

Another solution you may want to try (if you know how to)

is to edit bios softstraps to make VESA VRAM match with orignal VRAM, this way, as it's said in other forums and maybe this one, NVIDIA kext's will load properly. For example, my NVIDIA 8600M GS 256Mb is detected as VESA 15Mb.

• 1 month later...

this thread maybe is old but is good

my system is perfect but there is 1 problem that now i am 99% sure that it comes from the 8800GT

when the problem appears, minimize windows and other desktop stuff are $@^ up (become laggy)

in order to solve this u have to logout/login or restart (sleepdisplay doesnt work)

then all the desktop effects come to super fast again ...and i mean super fast!

i tried everything and now i blv the problem comes with 8800gt

1st it was natit,then nvinjects, then efistrings (i tried a lot of 8800 strings) and now the new netkas gfx injektor

everything give the same result: a perfect/fast video card but no good after the problem appears

i found 1 way to call the lag and keep testing ...

if i run the adobe CS3 setup, after the "inspecting system hardware" the gfx will become laggy, so then i know that i need to relog in osx

how can i test what is happening with the card's clock after and before the crash in OSX ?

i don't seem to find any nvidia app for leopard

if i had a 4870 or something good from ATI i would fix this...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it will help but you could check what happens in the System Monitor and the Console when the problem starts. I think that most of the graphical issues are PM related when I use the original InteCPUPowermanagement with any disbler or additional PM kext the graphics speed increases a lot except the dock that seems to use extrange procedures to render itself.

EDIT: I looked through IORegistry and I found IOPowerState missmachs between IODisplayWrangler and the actual display under NVDA Display. IODisplayWrangler allows the dislpay to sleep.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally after many checks I found the real origin of the problem: the way CI and QE start. Remember that the required kexts will load anyway as if there EFI or DSDT strings or if not, the difference will be that the kext will find some NVDIA strings at boot time and will start "working properly" from then. So after many trys I found that if AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement.kext is loaded properly (not disabled by any other kext) and the system is restarting with caches deleted, all the devices started, and many MAC OS X files loaded in memory the time delay in boot is reduced and some extensions load in a "proper order" so the EFI or DSDT strings will work as if they were generated by the NVIDIA driver (DSDT strings seem to be recognized before EFI strings) and the genereal graphics speed will be the maximum supported by the graphic card. The sleep display trick works because it restarts CI and QE.

My maximum graphical puntuation with xbench: 186 - 170. Now check how it changes depending on the situation:

- Normal boot with IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext disabled: 170 - 150 (only CI and QE work slow)

- Normal boot with IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext enabled: 86 - 79 (the slowdown is noticiable in the dock, but CI and QE work faster)

- Normal boot with IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext enabled, caches deleted, from rebooting: 186 - 170 (normal performance)

- Performance after sleep display (IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext enabled/disabled, caches deleted/present, boot from restart/shutdown): 186 - 170 (CI, QE and OpenGL work faster because the were restarted)

Some graphical issues that could appear in the desktop are: anti-alising is not applyed to all icons in the stacks (normally file icons no Applications or Folders), small corruption at the begining of some progressbars, AppleSoftwareUpdate progressbar doesn't merge the percent of load of the individual updates when installing updates at shutdown and Adobe CS4/CS3 installer will slowdown the dock animations (this issue can be worked arround only by relogin)

EDIT: QGL solves all the graphical issues except the one related to HTML interface based applications and dock slowdown, this issue comes from dock application so when the desktop graphics become slow just restart dock process using Activity Monitor.

• 2 weeks later...
this thread maybe is old but is good

my system is perfect but there is 1 problem that now i am 99% sure that it comes from the 8800GT

when the problem appears, minimize windows and other desktop stuff are $@^ up (become laggy)

in order to solve this u have to logout/login or restart (sleepdisplay doesnt work)

then all the desktop effects come to super fast again ...and i mean super fast!

i tried everything and now i blv the problem comes with 8800gt

1st it was natit,then nvinjects, then efistrings (i tried a lot of 8800 strings) and now the new netkas gfx injektor

everything give the same result: a perfect/fast video card but no good after the problem appears

i found 1 way to call the lag and keep testing ...

if i run the adobe CS3 setup, after the "inspecting system hardware" the gfx will become laggy, so then i know that i need to relog in osx

how can i test what is happening with the card's clock after and before the crash in OSX ?

i don't seem to find any nvidia app for leopard

if i had a 4870 or something good from ATI i would fix this...

Try a different decrypter if you're using AppleDecrypt 2.0.3 (known for it's debug boot messages) that maybe the reason. With OpenInstall or AppleDercyp 2.0.1 the problem should dissapear. Both can be loaded from "/Extra/Extensions". The dock minimize animation slowdown caused by some HTML interface based applications such as CS3/CS4 Installer is another issue that can be solved just by restarting dock process (quit not force quit).

• 3 weeks later...

Final Solution (not a workarround): Have IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext loaded with DSDT patcher and "-newHPET" option (any IntelCPUPowerManagement disabler removed). If you experience that your performance is dropped a half, testing with GeekBench and/or Cinebench 10 this means that IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is loaded but it does not adjust the processor frequency even if it's reporting the maximum processor frequency to any frequency checker, then, install VoodooPower.kext (you can download it from Superhai's website). After this you'll find you allways get the maximum graphical mark and the dekstop graphical effects will work at maximum speed from fresh boot (without any SleepDisplay workarround).

Important notes:

The Dock could some times look laggy because it depends directly on the processor frecuency that will change depending on the tasks and CPU load.

VoodooPower.kext is known to give kernel panics under certain circunstances and does not recognice absolutely every processor, a good example is mine where the tempertures are detected 20ºC over the real ones (anyway in my case the only fan is controled by the bios because it works depending on both GPU and CPU temperatures). Only use this kext if you notice that the performance has dropped a half after having IntelCPUPowerManged.kext loaded with a DSDT fix.

Check that your SMBIOS values are the right ones in comparison with the ones you get in Windows with CPU-Z or equivalent. The most important SMBIOS values are external clock, processor frequency, memory frequency and FSB if required.

VoodooPower.kext and IntelPowerManagement.kext do the same work so the could give kernel panics in some computers. I haven't had any but some computers could give them so remeber againt not to use VoodooPower.kext unless the general performance has dropped a half since you started using the DSDT patch to load IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Have luck :)