Out in the wild, have anyone tested it?

kris33

16 posts in this topic

The Installer is simpler and quicker.

More settings in System Preferences require administrator authorization.

Programs start up slower due to 64-bit but run faster once they've started up.

We have Exchange support.

Xcode is just like the one in the iPhone SDK except for iPhone support.

Finder seems to be using ImageKit to display its icons.

The wallpaper chooser in System Preferences is much better.

It seems to be pretty stable.

~matt

Not faster for me either (macbook pro 2.2Ghz, 4Gb memory)

Azureus won't run so I restored a backup.

I installed Snow Leopard by booting from the dvd. Maybe an upgrade wasnt a good idea?

Any way.. its nice to test it, but I wont use it until there is a final. If it really is faster I have no problem paying for it too. OS-X is not expensive.

I have been testing on two aluminum iMacs. One is an upgrade the other a clean install. Both have noticeably faster responses in all programs I've tested. The internet browsing is phenomenal. I think we may be pleased to actually get an operating system that is tweaked for current hardware. I'm a fan so far....

I was thrilled with it until I found out that Aperture doesn't work, I guess I'll stick with Leopard for now. :(

I take that back, I had restored to Leopard with Time Machine, and then re-upgraded and Aperture is working now. I don't know if my first install went bad, or if the RAW compatibility update I installed after upgrading to 10.6 broke Aperture...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yea, no luck with a PC yet. The architecture is quite a bit different with the 64 bit switch.

Anyone noticed the size on the most recent build? Less than a gig!

Seems pretty stable, Haven't really noticed a huge difference on my macbook.

Might be a silly question, but anyone get it to work on a PC? i would like to install it on an additional partition on my Dell D820
Netkas got it working. Unfortunately you're on your own if you want to run it on a PC, because it is still under NDA. There's lots of hope though, I'm sure someone can get it running with the new boot-132

Here's my quick review of Snow Leopard. (MacPro 3GHzx4 4G RAM)

Noticeably faster response in applications and load times. Very stable for a release this early.

But about the Exchange support... don't get carried away.

It isn't MAPI. It uses Exchange web services, and requires Exchange 2007. If you select Exchange 2003, it still uses IMAP. I don't have a 2007 server to test it on, and I won't anytime soon. There are some open source projects out there working on a reverse engineering of MAPI. I would strongly prefer the use of that interface.