Graphics Card (PCI-E)

mutahir

5 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have installed 10.5.2 Kalaway, with help from this forum, my machine spec are :

PIV 3 GHz, 1GB DDRII, SATA HDD, DVDRW/DVDROM, Intel GMA900, Broadcom Lan (Wired).

I am now buying a graphics card PCI-E, after having a look at the HCL of 10.5.2, I still can't figure out which graphic card to buy which works out of the box, as my vista installation doesn't supports aero on gma900 so its time to buy a graphic card.

I have £ 80. for the graphics update.

In last, thanking you all for the great support and information here..

Regards

Mutahir

Are you sure your machine supports PCI-E card. Looking at your specs it looks like last generation motherboard which will have a AGP slot

Anyway if you are absolutely sure of PCI-E, this should work nicely

Thank You Gujal

I have checked, my machine supports pci express, Will get this one, is there anything a bit cheaper then this you can recommend ?

Kind regards and thank you

Mutahir

PS : Does the above card you mentioned works without patches ?

Any GeForce 6/7/8 series PCIe card or ATI X2xxx/HD 3850/70 series should be fine. Some X1950s don't seem to work in OS X, but the X1600 seems a sure bet too if you're looking for a low-end replacement.

Look at reviews and pricing and see what offers the best compromise between performance and price for you. You can get quite a decent card with £80 these days. Might even scrape you a second-hand 8800GTS, looking at eBay, though that's probably overkill with your system.

By patches, if you mean Natit/NVInject, yes, you need it regardless for any Nvidia/ATI card. If you are not into gaming, then even the £30 Geforce 7200GS 128MB PCI-E Graphics Card should suit you