Logic Pro 8 + rewired Reason 4 on Hackintosh, possible?

Trigue

16 posts in this topic

This is my Pc Config:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU E6600 @ 2.4 (8MB/1066)tray

Motherboard : Asus P5K SE , Intel p35 Chipset

VGA : Ati Radeon 2400 Pro 256 mb

Memmory: 2 GB DDR2-667 Kingston

HDD: 320 GB SATAII Hitachi 16MB

2 partitions:

C: WIN XP x64 bit, primary 100 GB

D: for MAC , primary 200 GB

I am using this sound card : http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/pro...p;product=15911

I can run Mac OS X on my PC. But my question is can I run Logic Pro 8 with rewired Reason 4 on this Hackintosh? What kind of sound card will I need? I read, for Hackintosh is better external Soundcard, true?

Please give me some tipps where and how to check the perfect model for this operation, if I cannot run it. If you did it, please tell how...

Thanks !

HI,

I run logic pro 8 and Reason in rewire and tons of plugins without any problem.

I suggest to you this:

1. Increase your RAM, 4 GB min... better if you use 8 GB, logic is capable to use all your memory, so more memory more performance.

2. Audiocard, use a firewire audiocard is a good choice, but it seems that also some usb are working fine on hackintos, for pro audio best solution is firewire audiocards, this is not only for hackintosh, also real for a real mac, pro audiocard generally are using firewire ports.

If you are a newbye for audio, i suggest to you the m-audio firewire 1810 or firewire 410 those firewire audiocards are working fine in hackintosh simply by using the original mac drivers so they are working out of the box.

shoot other questions if u need help :(

and sorry for my poor english

Will be possible this operation with my Sound Card of Creative? Can you give me some tipps with Cheaper USB audio cards, working on Hackintosh with Logic? Firewire is better, but not cheap I will take one later, but now, must use cheaper external USB audio interface.

• 1 month later...
1. Increase your RAM, 4 GB min... better if you use 8 GB, logic is capable to use all your memory, so more memory more performance.

Not, is not. Logic 8 is a 32bit application and it can only adress a maximum of about 3.2gb. But in the real world, Logic starts making crazy things as soon as you pass 2gb (just look at Logic process memory usage with the system monitor).

The only way to use more ram in audio apps, is routing audio and midi in and out of Logic and load extra plugins in a host application, or using their standalone version.

Not, is not. Logic 8 is a 32bit application and it can only adress a maximum of about 3.2gb. But in the real world, Logic starts making crazy things as soon as you pass 2gb (just look at Logic process memory usage with the system monitor).

The only way to use more ram in audio apps, is routing audio and midi in and out of Logic and load extra plugins in a host application, or using their standalone version.

try to load samples from exs24....with your 2 Gb ram

and my logic wrks more fast on 8 GB then 2 GB (maybe because not nned to swap data on the hard disk) and without problems also with a real mac pro 8 core that i use in studio, the problem appears is if you use logic 7.

When you use samples and plugins check your activity monitor.

For more infos:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1041?locale=it_IT

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...8&tstart=90

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1112

try to load samples from exs24....with your 2 Gb ram

and my logic wrks more fast on 8 GB then 2 GB (maybe because not nned to swap data on the hard disk) and without problems also with a real mac pro 8 core that i use in studio, the problem appears is if you use logic 7.

When you use samples and plugins check your activity monitor.

For more infos:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1041?locale=it_IT

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...8&tstart=90

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1112

Logic is a 32 bit application, the only way to use more ram is using EXS VM mode, which is in fact a kind of hack. But since Logic still a 32 bit application, your limit for total used ram with external plugins is 3.2gb AS MAXIMUM (in fact with more than 2gb starts to works a bit unstable)

The only 8gb does in logic (except for exs24) is serve as disk cache, but this is not done by Logic, but by the own Mac Os X disk cache system.

This issue has been widely discussed in Viena Symphonic Library and EWQSL forums. People there used huge libraries and since Logic is a 32 bit app they are force to either lose all the scripts in their sample libraries by converting it to EXS24, or use external hosts via rewire. That way they can have another 3.2gb.

But the MAIN problem working with big sample plugins and more than 2gb in Logic is Logic itself doesn't know when an audio unit is loading a huge sample bank.

Let's say, your Logic process is using 2.8gb ram, now you open Kontatk3 and load a 1gb sound.

Logic doesn't know you are loading so much data, and allows you to start the process, but as soon as you pass the ~3.2gb mark, logic completly crashes (some times it crashes at 2gb).

So, if you work every day with big libreries in AU, you are almost forced to stick with 2gb total system ram, or 2gb + baseline os x memory usage, so you can't accidentally pass the 32 bit limit and crash Logic.

To sum up:

1.- Logic CAN'T use more than 3.2gb (unless you use EXS with VM on as sampler)

2.- Logic CAN be unstable passed 2gb used.

3.- Logic WILL crash passed 3.2gb used.

4.- The only advantage of 4+ gb for music at the moment is serving as disk cache administered by the OS, or using a different host via rewire so that you can have another 3.2gb with that new process.

• 4 weeks later...
OFFTOPIC] Many learned people here, can anybody point me to a place from where I can download Ableton Live 7 for a Mac. I want the full version, but you know I mean tongue.gif

There s no cracked live 7 so you ll need to buy it

Ableton soft are fairly priced & allow more than 1 computer so you can buy it with some friends & share the serial if you don t use it professionnally ( 2 - 3 max )

• 3 weeks later...
Logic is a 32 bit application, the only way to use more ram is using EXS VM mode, which is in fact a kind of hack. But since Logic still a 32 bit application, your limit for total used ram with external plugins is 3.2gb AS MAXIMUM (in fact with more than 2gb starts to works a bit unstable)

The only 8gb does in logic (except for exs24) is serve as disk cache, but this is not done by Logic, but by the own Mac Os X disk cache system.

This issue has been widely discussed in Viena Symphonic Library and EWQSL forums. People there used huge libraries and since Logic is a 32 bit app they are force to either lose all the scripts in their sample libraries by converting it to EXS24, or use external hosts via rewire. That way they can have another 3.2gb.

But the MAIN problem working with big sample plugins and more than 2gb in Logic is Logic itself doesn't know when an audio unit is loading a huge sample bank.

Let's say, your Logic process is using 2.8gb ram, now you open Kontatk3 and load a 1gb sound.

Logic doesn't know you are loading so much data, and allows you to start the process, but as soon as you pass the ~3.2gb mark, logic completly crashes (some times it crashes at 2gb).

So, if you work every day with big libreries in AU, you are almost forced to stick with 2gb total system ram, or 2gb + baseline os x memory usage, so you can't accidentally pass the 32 bit limit and crash Logic.

To sum up:

1.- Logic CAN'T use more than 3.2gb (unless you use EXS with VM on as sampler)

2.- Logic CAN be unstable passed 2gb used.

3.- Logic WILL crash passed 3.2gb used.

4.- The only advantage of 4+ gb for music at the moment is serving as disk cache administered by the OS, or using a different host via rewire so that you can have another 3.2gb with that new process.

Fortunately i still use EXS24 for some things and EWQL RA (only for duduk sounds)

REASON in rewire and IAC now for some other hard plugs...