[How To] Mac OS X Bootable Utilities on a Hackint0sh

~pcwiz

50 posts in this topic

I use the 4GB DataTraveler too :) Yeah, didn't support my PS/2 devices either. I installed ACPIPS2Nub but still no PS/2 :( Yeah a new version of Bootable Utilities was released a couple days ago. I have version 2.0, which one did you get?

Labeled Bootable Utilities Image: Back With A Vengeance - 2.0r2 [uB/Serial] at BS.

~pcwiz this is not a tutorials section and this in it's current form is a tutorial. It even has [How To] in the title which clearly means it belongs in The Genius Bar as MasterofComputers has pointed out.

This is the second time you done this mate and to be honest I can't for the life of me understand how someone with as much experience in this place can mess that up. In future if there is 'news' like this then make a small comment about it and re-direct people to the more details thread. Don't make the news itself a tutorial and complicating.

Edit this topic and create a tutorial in the genius bar where you should like this news to.

hi ~pcwiz,

would you consider minimizing the steps involved in this procedure and reducing it to a single button in osx86Tools?

for instance you can just ask the user to point on the downloaded image file and the destination usb drive and press Go. that would be a lot easier.

if you would like, i am willing to write the code and you can integrate it in the tools package.

Shay.

PCWIZ, could you help me to get my USB bootable Utilities working? it doesnt boot. I follow all your steps, but it doesnt work for me.

I set boot USB in BIOS but doesnt help me either...

The guide is pretty straightforward. Try reinstalling scripts in the small window that pops out while you're installing Chameleon. First click the right button and then the left in that small popup window. Then a Terminal window will open and ask for your password. I guess you missed this step. You can render your system unbootable if you select the wrong HDD and/or partition while installing Chameleon. So be careful.

Come to irc.osx86.hu - hackint0sh channel if you need online support. :)

I know how to use it....i fixed my problem...

I used fdisk and then install Chameleon EFI and now works.

But i have a problem, when OS X is starting stucks with this message:

mDNSResponder [61] Couldn`t read user-specified local hostname

Now i need help to solve this new issue!

Shutdown and make sure you unplug your computer. Don't just turn power button off. Unplug ethernet cable, wait 1 minute. Turn on and boot from your USB. If it doesn't work, try disabling your onboard NIC (ethernet) card rom your BIOS and retry.

I dont use onboard ethernet, i use PCI 3Com.Ill try to unplug ethernet cable and tell if works.Ive tried, seems to fix that issue, but now i get this error:

localhost diskartitration [58]: unable to mount /dev/disk1s3 (status code 0x00000047)

Really strange... Mine just worked. I had do it just once.

It's giving you many "No such file" errors and ownage and "read-only file system" errors. Are you sure you waited until the end of the restore? Are you sure your machine can boot with Vanilla kernel? You have a P4 3.2. I suppose it can't handle Vanilla kernel. I suppose you have to replace that kernel on the USB disk.

I fixed some problems, but now i have this when i boot:

...display: family specific matching fails...

and below

ethernet adress 00:01:02:xx:xx...

and stops there

Ive tried with -f -x -v, but doesnt help

Help me to solve this problem please!

I set the correct permissions to the replaced extensions.

Now i can boot, but OSx86 Tools doesnt work, it doesnt start.

Known problem. I can't get OSx86 Tools to work on it either, its missing some required file, but I don't know which. I'm still working on solving that though.

This image can be burnt to a DVD?

I have created the version that installs on the USB (still having trouble getting it to boot on a C2 Q6700) but that is another matter.

I would love to learn how to create the USB on a bootable DVD. Did I miss it?

Montgom626

• 3 weeks later...
I solved!

I chown and chmod Extensions folder and it boots...

Yeah this did the trick for me as well

...to be a little more specific...

Once you've installed your .kexts to the Extensions folder, run the following from Terminal:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/{Insert Your Boot Utils Image Name Here}/System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/{Insert Your Boot Utils Image Name Here}/System/Library/Extensions
sudo rm /Volumes/{Insert Your Boot Utils Image Name Here}/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo rm /Volumes/{Insert Your Boot Utils Image Name Here}/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

(idea stolen from here: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=45514)

I think booting up with the following options at the Darwin prompt might've helped as well: -f -x -v

(stolen from here :)

-Beej

• 8 months later...

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/{Insert Your Boot Utils Image Name Here}/System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/{Insert Your Boot Utils Image Name Here}/System/Library/Extensions
sudo rm /Volumes/{Insert Your Boot Utils Image Name Here}/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo rm /Volumes/{Insert Your Boot Utils Image Name Here}/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

I've been doing this for hours upon hours. It almost worked once, but it stopped working. So far, here is what I've done...

* Disk Utility to restore BUI 2.1.0.dmg to my 4gb flash (and usb hd too).

* Tried booting. Failed horribly. So I searched alot and found alot of little tips here and there, things like deleting AppleIntelPower, installing AppleACPIPlatform, dsmos, disabler, etc. Then it stopped crashing so soon, got through some more loading, but stalls.

* Then I tried copying the extensions folder from Kalyway 10.5.2 install DVD (hidden folder) straight over to my BUI usb drive. Now I cant remember if thats all I did, but I believe I did the quoted chown & etc commands, then I rebooted and voila it worked!

* But it was short-lived. The grey screen actually loaded with quickpicker (i'm familiar with it from my real mac), but it was very low res and it was only picking up USB drives, not my internal SATA.

* So I rebooted into OSX and installed some new kexts trying to enable ICH10 SATA, and few other kexts with it. I thought this was harmless, but upon the next reboot it has bricked, and somehow I can't get it back to the way it was before.

* I've done a total restore again, and am trying all sorts of combinations to reach that stable load again. But no combination I've found yet works, and I'm still stuck! Even with doing the chown commands.

* I've even tried all the boot commands, -v -f -x, platform=x86pc, none of those help.

* Still stuck...

I took a pic of my screen once it seems to have 100% frozen. Quickpicker cannot seem to load, something about "uid 0"... I think it has something to do with this line from middle-ways: "root filesystem is read-only; skipping kernal link data generation". I'm only taking an educated guess here though. Here, you look at the pic of the screen and tell me what you think...

Most%20Recent.JPG

Can you tell me whats going on? If you need more pictures from earlier on in booting, let me know and I'll take a stream of them. It only takes about 30 seconds or so to get to this crashed point (fast computer).

My main question is: Do I need to extract any kexts over to the BUI usb drive to give it compatibility with my computer hardware? I had to get special kexts to make my OSX to work, but with them it works 100%. I'm thinking I just need to transfer the right kexts over and it'll work perfectly (like it almost did once with the grey screen!).

Incase it helps you, here are the specs of my rig. It runs flawlessly, with all the right kexts installed. Used iPC 10.5.6 Final DVD to install.

* ASUS P5Q3

* Intel Core2Duo T8400 3.0ghz

* Nvidia Geforce 9800gtz+ 512mb

* Patriot 4gb DDR3 1600mhz Ram

* 320gb Western Digital 7200rpm

* 550w PSU

* ~$600.

Anyway, whew. I'm looking forward to having BUI working fully.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

thanks for this disc. I DLed it to repartition (grow hfs+ partition) my hackintosh HD (mbr partition schema), but none of the provided software is capable of this :( iPartition 3 is the only app which would work, but there is no serial/crack available.

Anyone else tried to repartition hackintosh drives?