Darwine and Steam

6 posts in this topic

I used to be a mac user back in the day but when I built my PC I all but forgot my love for the Apple Interface. 10.2 Was my last Apple OS, but now that the Macbook is out there are tons of possibilities to be had. I am a college student and I would love to purchase a Macbook, the only thing stopping me is that alot of the guys here love to Play Counter-Strike 1.6. As many of you know CS 1.6 is an OGL game based on the HL1 Engine which in essence is a modified quake 1 engine. This does run under Linux wine and I would love to know if any of you guys got Steam, or any of the HL1 Based games running under Darwine. Source and the rest of the DX8-9 games I know wont run or wont run for a long time on the mac side but I am very curious about the old line as thats still what most people play to this day. If so, or if it is something that is expected to work in future Darwine releases consider me a born again mac user Otherwise it may be Acer for me =[.

The best way to know is to give it a try.

IMO, I'd buy a MacBook. Remeber that it won't be too long until you have should be able to have a functional Windows install dual booting with OS X. Even then, you can always install Linux (which is now possible), and run CS from Wine in there.

I don't believe the OpenGL stuff in Darwine works right now (I could be wrong). That is where Cedega came in for good 'ol WINE. It gave you everything you needed to run the games as they were meant to be run. Perhaps Cedega will soon become compatible with Darwine, or a Darwine-specific release will be made available. That would be perfect...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...