10.5.3 Vanilla Kernel 9.3.0 / GA-EP35-DS3R / ALC889a Glitchy Sound

haysoos123

17 posts in this topic

Hello, I've searched the forums high and low but haven't seen anyone else with this problem. I have a Core 2 Duo Quad (q9300) on a GA-EP35-DS3R motherboard, 8800gts 320mb (G80) with ALC889a sound, which is a common enough setup. I had installed Kalyway 10.5.2 and got everything up working fine with the sleep kernel (9.2). So I decided to take the leap to 10.5.3 through the kalyway update and most everything is fine EXCEPT:

For some reason, I get glitchy sound only when I use the vanilla 9.3 kernel. I believe I've set up everything properly because sound works fine when I use the modbin 9.3 kernel. But with the vanilla kernel, it will stutter and cut out constantly, making any audio unlistenable. Has anyone encountered this? What's the vanilla kernel doing differently audio-wise? I use GFX string and ALC string to set up my audio (I used to have ALCinject and NVinject, but got rid of those).

By the way, the glitch started before I replaced the ALCinject with the string, so I don't think it's that. I've also patched AppleHDA with the correct dump, etc. The audio works perfectly with 9.2 kernels and the modbin 9.3. It's only the vanilla kernel causing the glitchy audio. Has anyone else encountered this? This started after I updated to 10.5.3 (which otherwise works fine except for sleep/shutdown issues associated with the kernels).

thanks.

I have the same problem as you, 9.3.0 kernel gives glitchy sound. I have the same processor as you but I am using the asus maximus formula mobo. I have also found that you can't use logic with the vanilla 9.3 kernel, but it works fine with speedstepkernel.

Guest ѕиоѡ

No probs here whatsoever. I only re-patched the HDA kext after the update and audio was back. I am using the ALCinject though so my suggestion is removing the sound string for testing purposes and use ALCinject with patched HDA dump (repatch it all like you are doing a clean install)

There are only a few kext modified on my rig: Apple AHCIport or IOAHCIFamily (internal/external drive icons), AppleSMBIOS (proper profiler spec) and of course the AppleHDA kext. I think thats about it. The other kext didnt need replacements after the update.

I have lost shutdown and reboot with the vanilla kernel and ACPIplatform but I always use sleep anyway since it's instant.

So reinstall/patch the lot without the string and if you got it working again re-do the string, good luck!

Laters

Thanks for the suggestions, but I found out something else interesting going on. I can't believe I didn't check it out before, but one thing that's a little different about my setup is I have Harmon Kardon Soundsticks attached to the machine via USB and not a stereo minijack. When I use headphones throught the front jack, the audio seems to play fine with the vanilla kernel and all other kernels. But it's just the audio coming from the USB speakers that is glitchy using the vanilla 9.3 kernel. I wonder if it has anything to do with how the usb bus is accessed under the vanillar kernel? Or some other extension that's causing the conflict that the vanilla kernel? I haven't tested the line-out jack yet because I don't have any normal speakers at the moment, but i suspect that it may work properly.By the way Snow, how did you get your sleep to work with the vanilla kernel? In 10.5.2, I had it all working well with the 9.2 sleep kernel with S3 sleep, which I prefer cause it turns off my fans. Are you using S1 sleep with your setup?

after some research it seems to me that our problem is linked tro another issue, which is that the

vanilla kernel doesn't seem to detect / set / use the right frequency for the FrontSideBus (FSB).

For the patched kernels, there is better detection and also boot option parameters which can

control FSB detection. Some threads can be found on this topic, but none i've found presents a

solution other than using a patched kernel. Another symptom if this is the time-of-day clock

lagging behind after some time (of course you need to disable NTP for this to become

visible) - I had exactly that issue, but it was hidden because of NTP.

I wanted to have a vanilla kernel because the moddded ones didn't give me the 64 Bit mode

(and I've installed the Java Upgrade to 6.0 when running a vanilla kernel, but running a modded kernel didn't allow

for any changes because the Java tool didn't work, just because Java 6.0 is 64-Bit-Only.

By having updated EFI to v8 and using kernel flag -64_bit I get all I want with the modded kernel,

sound works, time-of-day clock is accurate, so I am happy right now.

Regards,

Stephan

Could you give a bit more details on how to get the sound to work ? I have more or less exactly the same setup, and also ran into the problem of the slow clock with vanilla kernels.I now use modbin 9.3, and the clock is working properly -- however despite trying to install and re-install the two kext, I still only have "HD Audio Output" showing, with no inputs, and no audio in any case (I use SPDIF out on the coax connector). I[m a bit baffled by the mention of "repatch it all like you are doing a clean install" -- I have obviously missed that part :-)My setup is :GA-EP35C-DS3R, 9300@3Ghz, 8GB PC2-5300 (at 960), modbin 9.3, 8600GT 512MB, Kalyway 10.5.2+10.5.3 combo.Actualy I found my problem just after I wrote this -- went fishing in the Extensions folder and found a stray "AppleAzaliaAudio" lurking there. it obviously was being loaded before the real one.It's now fixed and I have SPDIF out all working; perfect !

I have the same setup and also get audio glitches, which kernel should I try to test if that's the issue? I've got a copy of the modbin kernel (included with kalyway 10.5.3 update) I guess I'll see if that helps.

after some research it seems to me that our problem is linked tro another issue, which is that the

vanilla kernel doesn't seem to detect / set / use the right frequency for the FrontSideBus (FSB).

For the patched kernels, there is better detection and also boot option parameters which can

control FSB detection. Some threads can be found on this topic, but none i've found presents a

solution other than using a patched kernel. Another symptom if this is the time-of-day clock

lagging behind after some time (of course you need to disable NTP for this to become

visible) - I had exactly that issue, but it was hidden because of NTP.

I wanted to have a vanilla kernel because the moddded ones didn't give me the 64 Bit mode

(and I've installed the Java Upgrade to 6.0 when running a vanilla kernel, but running a modded kernel didn't allow

for any changes because the Java tool didn't work, just because Java 6.0 is 64-Bit-Only.

By having updated EFI to v8 and using kernel flag -64_bit I get all I want with the modded kernel,

sound works, time-of-day clock is accurate, so I am happy right now.

Regards,

Stephan

Ok, thanks for this. This actually sounds like the most plausible explanation for the sound problem. It doesn't look like we'll be able to use the vanilla kernel because of my particular bus speed. I've resorted to using the old 9.2.0 sleep kernel for now because the 9.3.0 modbin kernel breaks sleep for me (which I use). So far, there doesn't seem to be any problems, but I wonder if all the bug fixes for 10.5.3 will be active?

-H

• 1 month later...

I just bought a GA-EP35C-DS3R Rev. 2.1 with an Intel E8400, nVidia 8400GS 256MB and 4GB of RAM.

I have my SATA LG DVD-RAM drive connected to Port 0 on the ICH9R.

ICH9R set to RAID mode.

Hard disk drive connected to ICH9R in Port 1.

I tried loading iAtkos v4.0 (10.5.4) but immediately got the "com.apple.boot.plist not found" error.

I'll have Kalyway 10.5.2 by tomorrow morning. Will that work with this board?

Can anyone recommend a good kernel? Any special installation tips?

Thanks very much!

• 2 weeks later...

somewhere i read this could be a pc_efi v80 failure, couse it could not read the FSB correctly. could be using chameleon efi with vanilla kernel the solution? i wanted to try it, but because of my multiboot setup with grub (ubuntu) in front of it i was afraid to distroy something by using chameleon. i also use graphic string for my 9800gtx, wich tooked my long time to get it working and i don`t know if this will work ootb with chameleon. is there somewhere a tutorial for using chameleon with grub out there? i`ve searched for a long time, but without any result.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

I've always thought that I've used bad drivers for my realteck ALC889A, or I've made a wrong installation, or my sound card was wrong... untill now.

I tried ALC889A_FIX and tortuga's patch and sound worked, but sometimes it was disturbed by other programs. ex: I'm listening to an mp3 using iTunes and I open Microsoft Entourage. During its loading the audio get interrupted. I've also noticed that I was unable to completely shutdown the system.

Now I'm using Stealthplug as external usb audio drive (it's fully compatible with windows and macos), and I'm having the same audio problems (while the system now shutdown). I'm thinking these problems are not due to my ALC889A card or drivers, but something else I don't now.

Is it maybe the kernel I'm using?

Using OSX86TOOLS i got these info:

System Kernel Information: Darwin justers-macpro31.local 9.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.4.0: Mon Jun 9 19:30:53 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.5.20~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Detected Kernel Version & Make: Vanilla 9.4.0 Kernel

I'm using iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4 osx release, and Chameleon 1.0.11.

What d'u think? Should I use another kernel? Which one?

TNX

I installed a new kernel:

System Kernel Information:

Darwin justers-macpro31.local 9.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.4.0: Fri Aug 1 21:34:49 EST 2008; ToH & StageXNU:xnu-1228.5.20/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

Detected Kernel Version & Make:

ToH 9.4.0 Kernel

and latest toruga's patch for ALC889A.

Nothing changed.

OK, I think I found the problem: my bios settings. Resetting to default now audio works correctly.

One last question:

Should I continue to use StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel or should I get back to vanilla?

Hello,

Although I use ALC 888 on Abit IP35 Pro motherboard I had (yes, past tense) the same problem. So after reading this thread I realized that if you upgrade from Kalyway 10.5.2 with Vanilla Kernel 9.2.2 (the default one that comes with Kalyway install 10.5.2) to 9.3.0, the problem goes away!

So all you need is kalyway_10.5.3_kernel.pkg and everything will work like a charm! *just google it

P.S. I tried this on Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2 but I suppose it will work on other verisons too...

Good luck!

EDIT> I don't need to mention that you need to boot with update -v, right?