MBP + external storage

dbasse

7 posts in this topic

Currently, I have a PC running XP and some 500GB of photos, videos etc. I'll be soon making the switch to MBP and obciously all my stuff won't fit in it. I'm sure lot of people here are running external disks with their notebooks for similar needs, so I'd really like to hear your experiences on different setups and makes/models etc.

Initially I've planned on getting the 500GB Time Capsule for LAN and backing up my MBP, which would have only applications files and most important personal stuff. Storage for all the photos, videos and other sizy stuff would be provided by Buffalo LinkStation Pro DUO 1.5TB NAS, which would also take care of backing up itself. Naturally, NAS and MBP would be hooked up to the Time Capsule via gigabit-LAN. Does this sound to you as a setup that would work?

Also, as I have no previous experience on either NAS or using external drive on a Mac, I'd like to know what's the interface like? Will the NAS show up on my MBP as a normal external drive rather than having some crappy web-interface or something?

Any helpis greatly appreciated, I must say I'm a bit lost with all the new challenges coming with changing to Mac and a notebook..

//basse

Kinda pricey. Do you really need a NAS? Why not just get a nice Icy Dock firewire/usb2 external enclosure and a 1TB sata drive for it. Should be able to do that for under $200 if you shop around. You could also pickup a WD My Book (or some other brand...they all suck equally) for not much more, but the quality won't be as good.

I run a 320GB 2,5" in a USB/eSATA enclosure, but you could run it in a firewire! (I'm not sure if one gets a USB/firewire combo unit,i'll have to check?)

Although it makes it a bit slower, it is TOTALY portable, doesnt need external power, and works on client's PCs!

I have the same thing in my road kit. Indispensable.

I have a little home server for the house built out of an old athlon 2600 running NetBSD. Has like 2 TB of space and serves the music collection to all the machines in the house and also doubles as space for automated backup and such. It's pretty bullet proof and lives in the closet. ;)

eSata FTW!

Just find a decent case, and chuck a drive in it yourself. You can pick up some decent drives these days that are 7200RPM for pretty decent prices.

If you are all about speed, then look for a eSata compatible case and get a eSata card for your MBP.

EDIT: If you want portability, then go for a 2'5" drive like SticMAN suggested. Then enclose it in a case with USB or eSata or Firewire.

Kinda pricey. Do you really need a NAS? Why not just get a nice Icy Dock firewire/usb2 external enclosure and a 1TB sata drive for it. Should be able to do that for under $200 if you shop around. You could also pickup a WD My Book (or some other brand...they all suck equally) for not much more, but the quality won't be as good.

Yep, I know it's a costly setup. I'm beginning my university studies this year, so I'm moving to my very first own home and since it's already such an expensive process, I somehow manage to justify spending a lot of money to get the ICT setup proper from the very beginning. That way I won't have to worry about it when I should concentrate on studying.

I ended up on purchasing a NAS since I really want to be able to access all my files from wherever I am. Another chance would've been making a fileserver out of my current PC, but I'm not interested having the thing lying around and tweaking it all the time. After all, selling the PC will make up the difference between modifying it to be a fileserver and purchasing a NAS.

//b

If you ever feel like tinkering with your LinkStation in the future you can flash it with Freelink and turn it into a real full fledged mini server. Couple that with Webmin and you'll be all set.