Acer Aspire 5715Z Step-by-Step Guide

Blue-K

17 posts in this topic

aspire571xip8.jpg

Latest Update: 25.1.09

So, for all the People who got an Acer Aspire 5715Z, and want Mac Os X Leopard on it, here's the Guide. I've had many problems, but now everything works great (except Wi-Fi and Ethernet). So belive me, if you do it like I described it here, it will work. This Tutorial was written for an external USB-HD in the mind, or to say goodbye to Windows forever. Dual-Booting with Partitions is not recommended by me right now, it only gives problems/bricks XP or Vista...I'll update the Guide, when Dual-Boot is safe and easy.

First, before we start, some Law:

I can't take responsibility if something goes wrong, and you have a non-working Laptop. Don't blame me if this happens. All you will do here, is at your own risk!!! I recommend to have a recovery-disk near you, or better, Install on an external USB-HD!!! And: Buy yourself a Leopard-Disk. It's the money worth!!!

Now the List what works and what don't:

Works perfect:

-Drive

-Keyboard

-Touchpad (Double Tap, Controll)

-Video (Display, Out)

-Sound (In, out, Included Microphone)

-USB

-Battery

-Restart

-Shutdown

Particulary works:

-Sleep (First time it works, second time Laptop don't wake up)

-W-Lan (Look here...but I don't recommend this method, since it makes your Laptop unusable...Better Solution: Buy a Dell 1390)

Don't works:

-Ethernet (Solution: Currently no Solution)

You can see, nearly everything works out of the box, except Internet. If you can life with that, or you already have a compatible W-Lan Card, let's start with the Tutorial.

Step by Step:

1) Download the XxX 10.5.6 Leo Install Disc Rev1. I recomend this one, since it's the best (Speed, Stable, many drivers, etc...)

1.1) Apply the PPF 1 to it (I've used PPF-O-Matic)

2) Burn it to a DVD-R Disc (I've used IMG-Burn), leave the Disc in the tray

3) Update your BIOS. Download the newest BIOS from here and run the ICL50134.exe in Windows. If you are already on 1.43, skip this step.

4) Restart, press F12 and boot from the DVD Drive.

5) Choose your Language, and klick OK

6) Now go to Utilities, and then to Disk Utility.

7) Choose your Partition/Drive

8) Select under Options MBR, select Mac Os X Extended (Journaled), and make one partition, I named mine "Leopard"

9) Klick Partitioning

10) Quit Disk Utility

11) You'll now be taken back to the installer welcome page. Click Continue

12) Click Agree

13) Choose your Drive, click Continue

13) Go to Customize and select the following:

aspire5715znr0.th.png

Red=Important, Yellow=Recommended

13) Klick OK, and then click Install

14) Skip the Disc-Check, it's useless and takes too much time

15) Get you a Cup of Coffee

16) Reboot and - you've got a Hackintosh!!

Additional tweaking:

17.1) Install VoodooPower 1.2.1, saves Battery-Power and makes your Laptop cooler (VERY USEFULL!!!)

17.2) Install your Languages with the XxX_Language_Pack

17.3) Set the timeout of the Bootloader with OsX86-Tools.

!!!CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'RE FINALY DONE!!!! If you have any problems or questions, just ask here!

~Greez Blue-K

• 2 months later...

Any ideas why there will never be one? AFAIK other distros have had similar problems because the device etc is closed, however they have developed their own drivers that work with the chipset?

I wont pretend to know much about this, but I am not a total noob, play with the ktexts etc to get other network stuff running in the past with realtek etc.

So, my original question again, is there any more detail on why there never will be? :P

Thanks

P.s

I don't suppose you have the wifi chipset make / model to hand do you? My laptop batt just died so can't check to confirm until I get home later. Also, I only picked the thing up yesterday so have not had much chance to do anything with it as yet / check things like that already. As far as I know it's a standard Intel device but who knows these days :)

Thanks your replying so quickly though. :) I have been a member here for ages and playing with this lot about as long, but generally try not to pester too much on the forums... thus the low post count :blink:

Ta

• 2 weeks later...
So, for all the People who got an Acer Aspire 5715Z, here's a Guide:

My PC:

My Hardware:

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5715Z

Motherboard:-Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family (448 MB)

-Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46GHz, 1463 MHz

-Mat{censored}a DVD-RAM UJ-850S ATA Device

-CPU Typ Mobile DualCore Intel Pentium T2310, 1466 MHz (11 x 133)

-Motherboard Name: Acer Aspire 5715Z

-Motherboard Chip: Intel Crestline-GML GL960

-Ram: 2037 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

-BIOS Typ Insyde (10/15/07)

-supports x86, x86-64, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

-External 80GB LaCie Mobile Disk

Many thanks in Advance!!!

So, what you got to do (Step by Step):

1) Download Leo4all v3 at Mininova

2) Burn it to a DVD-R Disc (I've used the IMG-Burn Programm)

3) Then upgrade your BIOS, this is very important. Download it here, and run the ICL50134.exe .

4) Restart and boot from the Disk.

5) Choose your Language, and klick OK

6) Now go to Utilities, and then to Disk Utility.

7) Choose your Partition/Drive

8) Select under "Options" MBR, select Mac Os X Extended (Journaled), and make one partition, I named mine "Leopard"

9) Klick Partitioning

10) Quit Disk Utility and choose Agree

11) Klick on your Drive and select Customize.

12) Now, the only things that you MUST select is x3100-Driver and the Sleep-Kernel. The Rest is not very important

13) Klick on install

14) Get you a Cup of Coffee

15) Restart and - you've got a Hackintosh!!

16) Now, the Fixing. Download Tarugas HDA-Patcher (See atachement), and Install it. Audio now works.

17) For W-Lan, currently no Soulution avaible, buy an Apple mini PCI-e Airport Card, if you want W-Lan.

18) The Same for the Ethernet...no Soulution avaiable...

DONE!

Credits for willy728 for the Tip upgarding your BIOS.

Hi Blue-K:

I´ve read over there you´ve got problems of overheating on the Acer aspire 5715z.

Do you still have that problem acording to this guide?

I'm going to try with iDeneb 1.1 to see what happens. Sadly i didnt read the issue with the networking. If you notice some fix for that i´ll be very interested to know.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

hey blue-k,

in your sig it says that you have tried kalaway as well. did any problems occour or why did you choose leo4all?

i own the same acer, but i'd prefer kalyway because of the update feature. please share your experience with kalyway :P

many thx for this step-by-step guide!

• 3 months later...

First, sorry for not answering the questions...I was busy..

Hi Blue-K:

I´ve read over there you´ve got problems of overheating on the Acer aspire 5715z.

Do you still have that problem acording to this guide?

Nope, Updating the BIOS solved this.

hey blue-k,

in your sig it says that you have tried kalaway as well. did any problems occour or why did you choose leo4all?

i own the same acer, but i'd prefer kalyway because of the update feature. please share your experience with kalyway ;)

Look at the Updated Guide..I now recommend XxX 10.5.6.

Guide is now Up-To-Date, and I've done some slightly edits. Enjoy it!!!

Hi Blue-K

First, I want to say thank you ;)

I tried to install leopard on my laptop to a friend (acer 5715z) for a week ... I followed your previous guide ... I have tried several versions of mac, but unfortunately with no result instead to erase acer's mbr.

After starting Windows Vista with Ultimate Boot CD, I installed easy BCD, and then I followed your last guide.

everything perfect, now I have "Vista" on second partition and Osx on third.

The first is the hidden partition of the Acer and I have recreated the last partition data 111Gb Ntfs, which had been deleted from the first installation of Leo4all.

thank you very much

Ps I want to clarify that unlike your guide, I preferred not to partition the volume from the Leopard disk utility, so I did not use the option mbr. But I created a fat32 partition from windows and then with the utility disk I have initialized it.

In this way, I have avoided a reinstallation of Windows Vista

Pps excuseme for my bad english :)

Ps I want to clarify that unlike your guide, I preferred not to partition the volume from the Leopard disk utility, so I did not use the option mbr. But I created a fat32 partition from windows and then with the utility disk I have initialized it.

In this way, I have avoided a reinstallation of Windows Vista

First: I'm realy happy that it worked for you. The first Guide was terrible, so I decided to update it. Glad that it was a good decision :) .

Now to the Partition. I'll will update the guide one more time, because to partitionate a whole Drive new is only for a fresh, new install, which overrides everything, like I said at the beginning. Dual-Booting how-to will come when I can confirm it works :( .

BTW: After you installed Vista, have you installed then EasyBCD, then add the Mac Os X entry, and then installed Mac Os X? I should try to do this...but I bricked my Laptop around 7-times :P ...so I wait with that until holiday, and then I'll try...

~Greez Blue-K

1^ I have installed Leo4All from your previous guide... and Acer's MBR went KO.

2^I started Ultimate Boot Cd for boot Vista...then installed Easy Boot CD and added OSX line...(Leo4all went in loop)

3^follow you guide, i've installed XxX 10.5.6 whit language pack...and EasyBCd has started Darwin Boot

Tnx 4 All

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I have a same notebook - aspire 5715z. I tried to install many release of OSx86, but only one iATKOS v4 was installed correctly. I had a big problem with network - i didn't have a network ))) But anoter devices worked normally. 

Drivers for net didn't work.

Today we can download many new release with integrated drivers. Your choose - XxX. 10.5.6 have a integrated driver too. Why did you not mark radiobutton "AppleBCM..." and "Atheros wireless" when you installed you system?

PS

Yesterday I installed a iDeneb (last version), but i have a strange problem with booting my system.

• 1 month later...

hi everyone,

just a question, when i click on XxX_10.506 Leo_install_Disc_Rev1. the page send me on XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2, New build 9G66 based ISO. Read first post for updates

what i have to do? download the universal finalv2 or find on the web the disc rev1?

thanks a lot

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hallo Blue-K,

thank you for your guide,

Just for information:

I've installed iDeneb 10.5.8 just selected: voodoo audio - voodoo PS2 fix -

Everithing work out of the box!!

Ethernet is no working but for wi-fi I use TP-Link WN321G (detected like ethernet cost 10Euro)!!

Grettings from Rome

GG

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...