SATA on Nforce3 Working

myzar

131 posts in this topic

just forget about permissions you can just copy the kextcache aka Extensions.mkext but keep in mind that you'll have sata only when booting from the dvd, it will not work after osx install.

Do you think the OSX install would boot into single user mode, and we could edit the kext that way? If not has anyone located where the actual kext files are stored in the DVD installer? That way we could edit them before they are installed.

Do you think the OSX install would boot into single user mode, and we could edit the kext that way? If not has anyone located where the actual kext files are stored in the DVD installer? That way we could edit them before they are installed.

nope, the only way to have sata support after osx installation is to write a small package that will install the extension during osx setup

just forget about permissions you can just copy the kextcache aka Extensions.mkext but keep in mind that you'll have sata only when booting from the dvd, it will not work after osx install.

What if you do the following

- Install Windows XP

- Partition Harddrive

- Patch DVD as described above

- Install OS X with DVD

- Boot into Windows, load Transmac and open your mac drive and insert the custom mkext. (Is that possible, or will transmac lack the privelages?)

- Boot into OS X

@Gdfath3r

What mainboard do you have? Could you make your AppleAHCI.kext available somewhere? My modified one doesn't work. It simply does nothing, even though the dev id's I added are the correct ones.

Are you on 10.4.4 or 10.4.5?

Thanks

@Gdfath3r

What mainboard do you have? Could you make your AppleAHCI.kext available somewhere? My modified one doesn't work. It simply does nothing, even though the dev id's I added are the correct ones.

Are you on 10.4.4 or 10.4.5?

Thanks

Same board as yours, just the difference, mine is modded to SLI....

Right now I am working on 2 computers, (one for backup) into the other Im installing osx....give me an e-mail, and soon as I get working my system, Im going to send it to you....

I have found a similarity, here:http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=2188

So, the guys, to have working the SATA2 they edited both kexts, AppleVIAATA and AppleAHCIPort.kext .....

At this stage, I have reached a dead end....Im using AppleVIAATA.kext only......burning a DVD failed, Im copiing my partition to SATA to see if that variation it has point .

on a single drive and nforce3 it works flawlessy for me, i don't have a second sata hd to test with two

For me it works with 3 drives, I am using just only one...

It stays stable, I already put on that drive more than 20 gigs of data without errors...

Fixed my problems maxtor vs. sata2 with putting the jumper in sata1 mode.....also pretty fast...I copyed ~20gigs in 6 minutes.....

Is that with just the modified AppleVIAATA.Kext or Do i need to add anything to add any Dev ID`s to AppleAHCI as well.?

also any joy with building custom mket to put on DVD and install straight to SATA.?

Currently i have 2 SATA Drives set up in Raid 0 2 XP Partitons x32 and x64 and a Data Partiton. i dont want all the hassle of backing up using as Single Drives and then it not working.

Im using an old ATA100 disk for OSX at the mo i know if i was to use a SATA disk id get much better performance, not that its slow now.. boots in under 15 sec

Is that with just the modified AppleVIAATA.Kext or Do i need to add anything to add any Dev ID`s to AppleAHCI as well.?

also any joy with building custom mket to put on DVD and install straight to SATA.?

Currently i have 2 SATA Drives set up in Raid 0 2 XP Partitons x32 and x64 and a Data Partiton. i dont want all the hassle of backing up using as Single Drives and then it not working.

Im using an old ATA100 disk for OSX at the mo i know if i was to use a SATA disk id get much better performance, not that its slow now.. boots in under 15 sec

Yes...with AppleVIAATA.kext..nothing else...I abandoned AppleAHCIPort.kext because I found AHCI driver not good for Nforce SATA....after I did some research in linux world.

Right Click my computer >> Properties >> Hardware Tab >> Device Manager..

Expand whatever device ID you after >>Right Click on Device >> Propeties Again then Details tab and you should be able to find there

Why can't I find anything that starts with 0x0 in the details tab????????

Why can't I find anything that starts with 0x0 in the details tab????????

Very simple...because in windows you wont find devID and vendor ID in that format....

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5961&SUBSYS_7C25174B&REV_01\3&61AAA01&0&40 is for example the radeon9200PCI devID where devID is 5961 and vendor 1002 so what you look for in my case is 0x +devD +venID = 0x59611002

I hope you understood..:D

myzar if he had a success is because is using an Intel board, the AHCI works on Intel chipsets since the extensions of 10.4.4 were leaked but not for nForces, I tested that then.

macgirl, cool signature but 924.18 KB is way too much for the server bandwidth, dont you think?

It works on Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, however the drives do not mount consistantly at boot. There are 2 PATA drives which will always boot. Then the system will usually mount 2 of the 4 SATA drives connected to the NForce4 controller. Sometimes one will show, sometimes all 4 will show, but usually 2 will show although not always the same 2. Once after rebooting the Invalid Volume Header error was preventing me from mounting one of these additional drives, which I fixed using Repair in Disk Utility. I suppose I could write a script that executes at login/boot and performs a disk repair and attempts to mount all SATA volumes, then they should all show up at login/boot.

I'm currently performing a stress test; they are 4 250gb drives so I created an ISO of the install media, copied it four times, archived all four copies, copied the archive an additional 3 times... now I'll copy that data to the other 3 SATA drives all at the same time. Finally, I'll perform MD5 on all these files; every copy of the ISO and archive should have the same sum. So far it apparently has no problem copying large files while all four drives are mounted; I'll post the results later.

It works on Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, however the drives do not mount consistantly at boot. There are 2 PATA drives which will always boot. Then the system will usually mount 2 of the 4 SATA drives connected to the NForce4 controller. Sometimes one will show, sometimes all 4 will show, but usually 2 will show although not always the same 2. Once after rebooting the Invalid Volume Header error was preventing me from mounting one of these additional drives, which I fixed using Repair in Disk Utility. I suppose I could write a script that executes at login/boot and performs a disk repair and attempts to mount all SATA volumes, then they should all show up at login/boot.

I'm currently performing a stress test; they are 4 250gb drives so I created an ISO of the install media, copied it four times, archived all four copies, copied the archive an additional 3 times... now I'll copy that data to the other 3 SATA drives all at the same time. Finally, I'll perform MD5 on all these files; every copy of the ISO and archive should have the same sum. So far it apparently has no problem copying large files while all four drives are mounted; I'll post the results later.

Probably you are using Maxtor SATA2 drives, right?...I heard some issues about compatibilty with NF4...some firmware are in the wild with fix, but the best if you get from manufacturers site....

While talking about the drives. I have Samsungs. 2x SP1614C and 1x SP2504C! As you can read above they give me problems (not in Windows or Linux!).

I still think there are problems with IRQ assignments and timing parameters with the VIAATA kext. Be careful, I almost lost all my data on these drives, experimenting a bit too much! :)