SATA on Nforce3 Working

myzar

131 posts in this topic

why isn't there a AppleVIAATA.kext in my system !?

a AppleVIA.kext - yes... but no ...VIAATA.kext ;(

and in the IOATAFamily.kext there it isn't too... ;)

running 10.4.5 - almost everything is working...

Does nobody else has problems with the driver "hack"? No "IOATAController blocks bus" or "IOKitWaitQuiet()" error? No freezes?

Please try to copy larger amount of data from one SATA disk to the other and proove it's stable.

Thanks

Yes, I have lock-ups and corrupted data, back to IDE :whistle:

"Good" to know I'm not the only one having problems.

Anyway, this driver could be a great start. Maybe we could modifiy the sources in a way it works better with the nvidia controller. Comparing to FreeBSD sources could help.

I'm in no way experienced with driver programming (ahm, no programming at all! :censored2: ), but I'll give it a try.

Could I find this extentsion in the iso file, edit it with my SATA hardware ID and boot and install that way? Would this work?

edit: ok i opened up the ISO but I guess it dosent include and extensions folder in the libary...just a Extensions.mkext file. So reading the above posts, all I have to do is modify the VIA extension in a running library, create a mkext file from that, and swap this new mkext file with the old one in the ISO. Will this do the trick for the DVD installer to recognize my SATA drive?

Another question... what is the nForce 4 Hardware ID? Is it the same for diffrent motherboards? If it is could somone provide it as I dont have acess to my windows system right now. Thanks.

Does nobody else has problems with the driver "hack"? No "IOATAController blocks bus" or "IOKitWaitQuiet()" error? No freezes?

Please try to copy larger amount of data from one SATA disk to the other and proove it's stable.

Thanks

Because, AppleVIAATA.kext it does not exists in 10.4.4 original DVD....

But, maybe we should not work with AppleVIAATA.kext, we may try to edit AppleAHCIPort.kext like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>AppleAHCIPort</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>Version 1.0.1, Copyright 2005-2006, Apple Computer, Inc.</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>AppleAHCI</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>1.0.1</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.0.1</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>GenericAHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundeIdentifier</key>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x01060100</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>800</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Generic AHCI</string>

</dict>

<key>ICH7MAHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>Chipset Name</key>

<string>ICH7-M AHCI</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x27c58086</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>2000</integer>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Intel</string>

</dict>

<key>nForce4</key>

<dict>

<key>Chipset Name</key>

<string>ICH7-M AHCI</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x005410de 0x005510de</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>2000</integer>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Intel</string> </dict>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily</key>

<string>1.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>

<string>1.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>

<string>6.9.9</string>

<key>com.apple.kernel.libkern</key>

<string>6.9.9</string>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Local-Root</string>

</dict>

</plist>

ok for those trying to make a bootable installer DVD that recognizes SATA try the fallowing steps

-Edit the AppleVIAATA kext with your nforce chipset device ID's in a working x86 OSX install

-Repair permissions in your /System/Library directory (use "chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions && chmod -R 0755 /System/Library/Extensions")

-Delete the old Extensions.mkext file in /System/Library

-Create a new one with the fallowing command "kextcache -l -m Extensions.mkext Extensions"

-Copy this custom Extensions.mkext file into /System/Library of your ISO DVD installer (replacing the old file)

-To make your ISO writable, mount it with this command "hdiutil attach -readwrite ImageName.iso"

-Repair permissions on the ISO image

-Burn away!

Could someone that has got SATA working on thier system check if this work? I unfortunatly dont have my x86 system handy right now and cant test this :/

ok for those trying to make a bootable installer DVD that recognizes SATA try the fallowing steps

-Edit the AppleVIAATA kext with your nforce chipset device ID's in a working x86 OSX install

-Repair permissions in your /System/Library directory

-Create a new one with the fallowing command "kextcache -l -m Extensions.mkext Extensions"

-Copy this custom Extensions.mkext file into /System/Library of your ISO DVD installer (replacing the old file)

-Burn away!

Could someone that has got SATA working on thier system check if this work? I unfortunatly dont have my x86 system handy right now and cant test this :/

What Id like to people to try, is do NOT use AppleVIAATA.kext because is not compatible! Will work, but also will lead to corrupted data.....better if we test AppleAHCIPort.kext if works proper.....what I found, that it is really a generic SATA driver.....

What Id like to people to try, is do NOT use AppleVIAATA.kext because is not compatible! Will work, but also will lead to corrupted data.....better if we test AppleAHCIPort.kext if works proper.....what I found, that it is really a generic SATA driver.....

well then try it and report rather than bitching :hysterical:

well then try it and report rather than bitching :blink:

I can confirm that, it is working....if somebody would tell me how to include this kext into my install disk.

What is the way to post a pic, also how can I do a screenshot from my desktop to show my System Profiler.

I can confirm that, it is working....if somebody would tell me how to include this kext into my install disk.

What is the way to post a pic, also how can I do a screenshot from my desktop to show my System Profiler.

well just tell us what you did to get it working , a better solution is always welcome even tho on nforce3 the viaata is not giving me problems with a single hd, prolly the problem arise with nforce4 and more than 1hd

well just tell us what you did to get it working , a better solution is always welcome even tho on nforce3 the viaata is not giving me problems with a single hd, prolly the problem arise with nforce4 and more than 1hd

I said earlyer...I put device ID to AppleAHCIPort.kext.....just you missed that. Also it supports multiple HDD..so

ST380817AS:

Capacity: 74.53 GB

Model: ST380817AS

Revision: 3.42

Serial Number: 4MR1CMJ3

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk3

Protocol: ata

Unit Number: 0

Socket Type: Serial-ATA

OS9 Drivers: No

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

ST380817AS:

Serial Number: 4MR1CMTV

BSD Name: disk2

BAM It works on my nForce4 Asus A8N-SLI! Thanks Myzar!

Edit: Hm.. after a second reboot it seems now it does not work. OS X states that the extension is not "authentic" and refuses to load it, suggesting I get an update to it to fix the problem. What now?

On boot:

System extension cannot be used.

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

On manual load attempt:

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)

It worked once.. I saw my windows drive and everything on it but now it's gone :/ Thanks for your help.

It was written thousands times:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions && chmod -R 0755 /System/Library/Extensions

I said earlyer...I put device ID to AppleAHCIPort.kext.....just you missed that. Also it supports multiple HDD..so

ST380817AS:

Serial Number: 4MR1CMJ3

BSD Name: disk3

ST380817AS:

Serial Number: 4MR1CMTV

BSD Name: disk2

oops sorry i totally missed the your previous post, i'm gonna try now thx !

Could somebody help me how to make write-read enabled my ISO, and inject my .kext?....

Look at my previous post on how to include your new kext in your ISO...I wrote out step by step unstructions, as to how to make your ISO writable mount your iso image with this command

hdiutil attach -readwrite ImageName.iso

Look at my previous post on how to include your new kext in your ISO...I wrote out step by step unstructions, as to how to make your ISO writable mount your iso image with this command

hdiutil attach -readwrite ImageName.iso

It is not working for me.....

Edit the AppleVIAATA kext with your nforce chipset device ID's in a working x86 OSX install

-Repair permissions in your /System/Library directory

-Burn away!

This command : "kextcache -l -m Extensions.mkext Extensions" it does not for me the extensions.mkext

also how you repair permissions on the ISO?

That is the correct command, make sure your in the /System/Library directory before running it, and just copy and past it in your terminal. Also do not use the quotations as it is not part of the command.

You can correct the permissions of the ISO like any other disk, either use disk untility or the terminal commands.

Has anyone else got a working SATA boot dvd using my suggestions or another method?

Buddy, it is not enough this: "

You can correct the permissions of the ISO like any other disk, either use disk untility or the terminal commands." because this argument of yours is not valid. Disk utility will do a repair on hard drive but not on ISO...

So, please submit kindly here how you use that command, because I have something working here,and I have to burn a freakin working DVD...:D

Buddy, it is not enough this: "

You can correct the permissions of the ISO like any other disk, either use disk untility or the terminal commands." because this argument of yours is not valid. Disk utility will do a repair on hard drive but not on ISO...

So, please submit kindly here how you use that command, because I have something working here,and I have to burn a freakin working DVD...:D

just forget about permissions you can just copy the kextcache aka Extensions.mkext but keep in mind that you'll have sata only when booting from the dvd, it will not work after osx install.

Anyone else is having success with AppleAHCIport ? i've tried with my nforce3 and doesn't work at all

just forget about permissions you can just copy the kextcache aka Extensions.mkext but keep in mind that you'll have sata only when booting from the dvd, it will not work after osx install.

Anyone else is having success with AppleAHCIport ? i've tried with my nforce3 and doesn't work at all

Yes, I know......I think , I know why....because, if you had oportunity you check visually a 915G chipset board ( acctually I had Foxconn one, actually this one: http://www.foxconnchannel.com/products_mot...ame=915GL7MH-S) it has just only one IDE connector, so SATA drives act like IDE drives, and because of this it may block access to the real IDE drive if SATA is enabled...It happened with me right now.....why?...because I tried to do an install from working installation to the other drive, but before this...worked like a charm....So Im going to do a reinstall from IDE, and from there I will create my custom boot disk, but until that, I would like to have some device ID-s to include into my .kext. This is why so important to have a right way to make a disk.

Btw..it is important to make that package isntaller with kext file?..( because Im to noob to do that..LOL )

myzar if he had a success is because is using an Intel board, the AHCI works on Intel chipsets since the extensions of 10.4.4 were leaked but not for nForces, I tested that then.

myzar if he had a success is because is using an Intel board, the AHCI works on Intel chipsets since the extensions of 10.4.4 were leaked but not for nForces, I tested that then.

I have nForce4 with 3000+Venice core....so Im sailing in the same ship. The AppleAHCIPort.kext it is generic..so we can use it.

Acctually on 10.4.5....native (thx Myzar)

So, I am at that stage, when everything is running fine, I have the IDE MacOSX Installation, one spare 250gb Maxtor SATA2 16mb cache 2x80Gb Seagate Sata (My windows install) and all of this seen by MacOS. Because I have no idea yet how to make a DVD, simply Im going to copy my installation to my 250gb HDD...so from there I will see what is supported, or not.