EFiX: OSx86 gone commercial?

723 posts in this topic

All you guys might be wrong it might be some actual hardware EFI you need instead of software who knows.

yea, that *would* be great, but it is just some software as i already said. don't expect wonders. it might be a great piece of software, but it is never some magic hardware. the 'locks' in os x are software too, i am no expert but this problem could be solved with some emulation layer or virtualization that is achieved with that loader we see in the video. quite similar what we have already but maybe more advanced, i don't know...

okey dokey....

Usb comes out which is useful for the people who actually own a legit disc (me!) whichl installs OSX and the future updates, it it will not fix drivers issues which I presume

Apple may have slight problems here if the average joe can buy a pc and gets this fickle USB a leopard disc and be able to do this, Apple will then have to pull the plug and do either one of these things

- bring the lawyers round for tea

- mac future updates not compatible with the usb (Efix has not stated if the usb will be updated for future updates that may occur if this happens)

- apple finally gives in and retails leopard for pc's at 3x the original price

PS: TBH I don't mind a usb sticking out of my computer for mac

Could it be just a bootable thumb drive with PC-EFI'ed darwin bootloader installed that boots a mach_kernel from the DVD or HD ?

I thought it was already possible to do this.

No, it couldn't be, because even with PC_EFI or Chameleon (another fake EFI implementation), those both cannot boot vanilla retail DVDs and installs can't survive a vanilla 10.5.3 update even with PC_EFI. So whether it be software or hardware that they have in that dongle. its something unique that we haven't seen before.

I quite frankly dont care about what it is or what it does, since it doesnt look like it'll ever hit US and UK outside of ebay. I am concerned, however, about people buying it and having it not work, and then EFiX turns them over to us for support. I dont want a group of noobs overrunning the forums. Fortenetly, that may be why they arent shipping to the US :)

In any event, I am interested in how this turns out. If it survives the next update(since chances are apple will target it in that one), then I might get one on ebay.

Like it has been said a few times before, if this is software based, even if it does have protection, it will be imaged and distributed over the net so anyone can write the image to an ordinary thumb drive and then use that as EFI-X. Then everyone around the world gets it.

this is why im working on a sata /ide host controller card with an efi emulator built in. still drafting the design and still looking for some help though...

Dr. D

Sweet! Much more convenient than a USB dongle you have to plug in every time :)