EFiX: OSx86 gone commercial?

723 posts in this topic

efi-x.com, last updated June 9th, claims to offer the ability to install OS 10 on a non mac with the retail disc. The EFiX website states:

EFiX is the best solution for installing and using Mac OS X on your PC.

It allows its user to install Mac OS X straight from the original DVD without having to worry about patches,

replacing files and anything like that.

That means you can buy a regular PC, Mac OS X and EFiX and enjoy what the Mac users have always enjoyed:

unmodified Mac OS X on your computer, safe, easy and fast, exactly the way it should be.

The development of EFiX took a lot of time.

During the development phase, we had to deal with various problems, including sabotage.

This process also involved testing, which has been conducted for the last 6 months in production environments.

Industry leading professionals(who work for TV stations, recording studios and many others) rely on EFiX and Mac OS X running on standard PC hardware to get their tasks done.

EFiX is in the final testing phase.

All the testing has went far better than what we expected and the testers have given positive feedback.

We have planned to release it on 23rd of June, 2008. More information will be added soon.

Longtime OSx86 contributor netkas has posted EFiX in action on his blog. According to netkas, EFiX is hardware which plugs into your USB port.

As the June 23rd release approaches, many questions about EFiX remain unanswered:

-Is it an EFI emulator like PC_EFI or Chameleon?

-Is the USB device required every time you boot or just during installation?

-While this device may allow OS 10 to be installed, won't the driver situation be just like that of the OSx86 project?

-How will Apple respond to this?

-Will EFiX's EFI implementation be usable on traditional OSx86 DVDs?

Something of note is the EFiX contact page:

International dealers:

(If you can not find dealers in your region please contact us)

Germany

Россия

Украина

Taiwan R.O.C.

P.R.China

Japan

Korea

Notice here that the United States, along with many other countries are ignored. Also, netkas who has a sample of the device, stated:

they don't plan to sell it in US.

So, forget about dmcs in this case.

Thoughts?

Just proves there is a demand apple could fill if they wanted to. Support would be pretty poor though. It's one thing to do it since everyone here is a volunteer but to pay for something and it doesn't work is something else.

Thank Supernet33 too, he originally posted about EFiX here.

Not exactly, netkas reported first:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=110001

then redcell reported in Readers News and Reviews:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=110076

and Finally SuperNet33 on New Releases and Updates (which it isn't really a release yet):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=110127

Not exactly, netkas reported first:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=110001

then redcell reported in Readers News and Reviews:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=110076

and Finally SuperNet33 on New Releases and Updates (which it isn't really a release yet):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=110127

I was about to edit the post to include redcell, thanks for the clarification :D .

May be Apple is in this and we all don't know about it: internal procedure. :P

I have a question, and I'm not trying to be snide or sarcastic. I appreciate all the work that has gone into this.

But beyond allowing Intel/AMD PC people from booting a leopard DVD... what else does this do? I mean... will it read my nforce 4 chipset and install the proper kext? Will it read my audio and do that too? will it allow me to do system updates without a kernel patch or decrypt script?

If it's not doing that, then I'm totally fine with downloading a DVD that does.

will it read my nforce 4 chipset and install the proper kext? Will it read my audio and do that too?

I think you didnt get the point what this device is for.

Q: Will your BIOS install drivers for Windows?

A:

[ ] No

[ ] Yes

[ ] What is an BIOS

So....

the website doesn't have anything...plus osx86 have been here for almost a couple of years...and we still have not came up with solutions for all the drivers yet....false promises if u ask me....one install disk for all pc is too magical; like free sex.

the website doesn't have anything...plus osx86 have been here for almost a couple of years...and we still have not came up with solutions for all the drivers yet....false promises if u ask me....one install disk for all pc is too magical; like free sex.

EFI-x is NOT an driver-package for ALL hardware out there.

Its an replacement for pc_efi that will let you install the retail DVD.

i did test with installing it to main system.

burned some 10.5.0 to dvd-dl for it.

I installed it to hdd, formated as guid, then booted jsut installed system with efix and...it booted just fine.

I only had to install audio driver for my hda, All other things worked jsut fine, update to 10.5.3 was like I am mac user, that was cool.

and, this usb thing insert to usb port on mobo.

i did test with installing it to main system.

burned some 10.5.0 to dvd-dl for it.

I installed it to hdd, formated as guid, then booted jsut installed system with efix and...it booted just fine.

I only had to install audio driver for my hda, All other things worked jsut fine, update to 10.5.3 was like I am mac user, that was cool.

and, this usb thing insert to usb port on mobo.

Sounds pretty good, netkas.

Thanks for testing it for the rest of us :P

This could be a nice business for eBay power sellers who live in one of the countries that EFIX is sold to. They buy them in bulk, then sell them on eBay to Americans and Canadians and all the other left out countries for more than its worth :D

Well it's usually those outside the US who get left out when Apple introduces a new product. A mistake that I feel let MS grow so big.

Back in the days of DOS it had a cost advantage considering that , depending on the edition, a copy of Vista could cost more than one of OS X it would be interesting to see how things play out if Apple decides to retail it's OS for non Apple platforms.

Well it's usually those outside the US who get left out when Apple introduces a new product. A mistake that I feel let MS grow so big.

No, the mistake is, that we pay a lot more than US customers.

e.g. the macbook pro 1999$ in US, around here Apple wants 2579$.

ipod touch 299$ in US, 400$ here

cinema display 30" 1799$ in US, 2579$ here

It looks to me from the video that it is DUET (tianocore.org), compiled with the graphics option turned on, runing a custom bootloader like rEFIt. Other that the graphcs based bootloader, I made the same thing that boots 2k8 server via efi. What's holding me back is an UEFI /EFI x64 HFSPlus driver to do the OS X install.