efi-x hardware solution to install osx on pc's

redcell

42 posts in this topic

They are watching our threads. Kiko and Dr. Dankenstein suggested (or rather had the idea) of a PCI card with EFI emulation and a few days later, EFI-X comes out with the same thing. Coincidence? I think not..

Pci would be uncomftable for a lot of reasons. On top: the not so supported pci bus and the problem that you can't put it into laptops. Plus it is expensive to produce and complicated to make.

An EFIX-USB dongle will be more comftable. Speaking about it, I think it will basically be a simple USB-stick with a bootloader, an EFI partition and lots of strings. So I wonder how they plan to make money with it. Before you can speak out "for sale", it will be dd'ed and up on some tracker out there...

However if all this EFI-X thing is is a ordinary thumb drive ...

According to their site the device will be unique piece of harware "with very intricate protection above and beyond your wildest imagination."

Also in the product section there is USB, desktop and PCI version.

I wonder if this is such unique promising device will Apple finaly come into play?

Hmmm

Why buy something that costs perhaps more than a 100% compatable motherboard that that also works with a little post install tweaking or no tweaking at all for some this new wonder ( blunder ) device would needd to be cheaper and also it would need some sort off onboard driver database as it clearly state on there front page " Average users can easily install Mac OSX without fear of needing professional knowledge "

so with a driver database how would the average user manage .......

I have a simple answer to your complicated question :D

People will buy this device instead of compatable MB as you suggest, because most of them already have working one and then even only few are willing to invest time and money in building a new PC or upgrading the existing one into a complete working hakintosh.

Even more: I think almost everyone who is comming here is willing to give Mac OS X a try and PERHAPS make the switch after some time. Also some of them (like I did) after having a Hackintosh will buy a real Macintosh. So, I think it comes more to test the OS and try to decide if you like it so much or you can live with XP/Vista and right here at this moment the EFI-X is the best solution. Only the price must come right. :)

So, who else thinks that someone will extract the data from the EFI-X hardware and make it so you can put it on your own usb flash card or portable harddrive? It might be worth it building an Intel machine dedicated to Osx86, just making it more easier everyday, but there in lies the problem. If it does get too easy, Apple would probably take notice sooner or later...Only thing I'm not to fond of right now, is this.

Does the EFiX device support AMD processors?

No, at this moment we do not offer support for AMD systems.

I can understand why though.

So, who else thinks that someone will extract the data from the EFI-X hardware and make it so you can put it on your own usb flash card or portable harddrive? It might be worth it building an Intel machine dedicated to Osx86, just making it more easier everyday, but there in lies the problem. If it does get too easy, Apple would probably take notice sooner or later...Only thing I'm not to fond of right now, is this.

No. This is a hardware based device and it can't be replicated onto a normal USB flash stick. It contains some sort of ROM and other circuitry, so the only way you'll get it is to buy it. Replicating EFI-X onto a USB drive would be like someone trying to pirate a laptop from a torrent tracker (:lol:). Maybe software you can find ways of getting without paying for it, but not for hardware...

What is interesting is that people are complaining about cost without knowing what the "wonder-dongle" is and what it actually does ... and for that matter don't even know how much it will cost. Not very constructive ... or smart for that matter :lol:

Have no idea of the cost. I do think this will be bad for the hobbyists. Moreover, there's something odd about paying for methods to get around Apple's protections. I understand they want to be paid for their work but the whole thing is a bit like the mod world in game machines. The new copyright laws being enacted by all G8 countries ( there is quite the controversy in Canada at the moment about this) will make this sort of activity very risky. The end result is that true hobbyists are going to be driven away.

My 2 cents...

lstep