efi-x hardware solution to install osx on pc's

redcell

42 posts in this topic

That sounds exciting.

But as someone commented on Netkas's site, kexts and patches are still needed to get things like audio to work.

Also, EFiX appears to cost money, which is really too bad because all OSx86 has been about was simply downloading stuff and etc without spending a single cent.

but retail dvd a big plus. and cost money they should get money for what they have done. and OSx86 Community wasnt about getting everything for free, we still support Apple and buying the retail dvd at least.

That sounds exciting.

But as someone commented on Netkas's site, kexts and patches are still needed to get things like audio to work.

Also, EFiX appears to cost money, which is really too bad because all OSx86 has been about was simply downloading stuff and etc without spending a single cent.

Shure you will still need to patch the drivers for your hardware (net, audio, some GPUs, etc); that's pretty ovious. This is still a (better) EFI emulator. And I dont see why they shouldnt charge money for they work; since we all are saving money running OSX on generic cheap hardware it wouldnt hurt to spend a few € on this (and on a retail osx DVD), would it?

it sounds / looks like a bootable flash drive with a boot manager that loads an efi emulator then boots the cd drive of hard drive ( with mac installed on it ). Remove the flahs drive and osx won't boot anymore. If that is the case I don't see what's to gain from using it. But that being said ... what about dsmos.kext ? Something does not add up ...

dont know.... For this to work as a real mac they should have ripped the original apple EFI and I guess that will be illegal (not that I care about the legallity of it, but that will be a problem for them, and I've heard it contains NO apple firmware; PLEASE correct me if Im talkin' bullSHT). I risk to say that we will probably still need the decryption kext as well as the kext for your generic hardware.

To me it looks like an GUI enhanced PC-EFI bootloader. I hope you could install it in a small partition on your HD as well. Im looking foward to it. Will see in a few days

yes, but beside that you don’t need to download a hacked version with EFI in it, it saves nothing, since Netkas EFI we all take this part for granted, so what is this hardware going to solve? if i will buy it and install a retail dvd and my mobo or cpu is not supported, i will still get panics and constant reboot and all the great stuff we all deal with.

and what about kext injection, no way to that ether (on a reail, unless we re-burn it, so what have we saved there?)

but great work, another step for moving apple 2 PC.

and beside put this topic in the Home Page - everybody should hear about this.

Shay.

This {censored} has got to stop because it will only serve to make apple pissed off which will make legitimate modders lives harder.. Anyways OSX86 is not for newbies it never has and it never will! If people cannot wrap their heads around modding the software of this operating system then they should buy a real mac and not stupid products like this! I for one is sick and tired of all of this catering to people who are either too stupid or lazy to read forums or guides to make their computers work a certain way.. I mean come on who's with me? I hope psystar and this crappy company get sued out of existence by apple.

stupid synathesia, dsmos doesnt have anythign to do with EFI. stop spreading {censored} knowledge. dsmos is to decrypt apple binaries and the string for the decryption routines is provided by the smc on apple mobo's

Hey ! no need for that here , few in this forum are actual capable of understanding 100% the way os x relates to the hardware in real macs and in hacks and all the subtleties that goes with it. By the way - I am sure netkas is all over the wonder-dongle as we speak and he will illuminate all of us soon - since he knows more about EFI then most of us and he also has the dongle at his disposal.

By the way netkas - I am curious how did you get your hands on it ...

Two things for sure:

1. They know how to play their game. Instead of explaining what EFiX does (EFI emulation for BIOS systems), they starts with "... Mac OS X on your PC." Legally nothing can and will stop them.
  2. They know how to spread the news on their product, which is not even in the market yet. Give a sample to netkas!

Apparently it's a piece of hardware that you plug into your USB port though, which is why it costs money. Wonder if it's just a bootable flash drive that auto-installs EFI on a drive or something. Needs more details!

i guess that it will be a 256mb( maybe smaller) usb stick that cost 1 euro with just some files encrypted(maybe) on it

1gb usb stick cost 4euros, i don't know if they can find such small storage usb sticks (256mb +/-)

when the boot files are out bye bye efix good bussiness

i believe that things like this should be open/free ,as it was about 3 years ago(+/-),when the 1st 10.4.1 flat image from maxuss was out

i remember a lot of ppl all those years that did a huge progress and never asked for money, only some of them for donations

i am testing since then, i am not in the mood to pay now for something that is "hardware", sorry

if i want the real hardware i'm gonna buy the real hardware from apple

and it is not like i am one of those guys that ask for "everything in the plate" and free

i supported the authors with small donations

it's just my opinion, i am not flaming :rolleyes::unsure:

What is interesting is that people are complaining about cost without knowing what the "wonder-dongle" is and what it actually does ... and for that matter don't even know how much it will cost. Not very constructive ... or smart for that matter :rolleyes:

Agree, absolutely. If "this thing" works as promised, I am willing to pay a reasonable price.

Since Kalyway 10.5.3 I have had only trouble. I had to reinstall several times and the update would kill my system every time. So I have had it now with OS X on a PC, unless a better solution becomes available, and this one could be it.

I think I might buy this when it comes out. However if all this EFI-X thing is is a ordinary thumb drive with some EFI software files on it, it will be pirated as a disk image and released on the torrent trackers the day it comes out. However, if this thumb drive actually contains some unique hardware, then people will HAVE to buy it.

I think I might buy this when it comes out. However if all this EFI-X thing is is a ordinary thumb drive with some EFI software files on it, it will be pirated as a disk image and released on the torrent trackers the day it comes out. However, if this thumb drive actually contains some unique hardware, then people will HAVE to buy it.

If they are smart and I think they are then they will simply lock the code the hardware (iLock for example). It'll be funny to see "Hack for OS X have been Hacked!" headline.

:)