Dell D420 Bible

43 posts in this topic

real_sinjon , can u tell how exactly did u mange to update to 10.5.6 ? I am running 10.5.2 , I already tried update via Kalway 10.5.3 combo update but with no luck :( .

I am running on 9.6.0 kernel, working without problems with dual cores.

Still can't get ethernet to work, I found one kext that make ethernet card visible in ifconfig (with normal mac address ) , but sending or receiving few packages make kernel panic.

Later try make scrolling working . BT & WiFi work out of box without problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I did a retail Leopard DVD install with DellMiniBoot123 on my d420.

my video won't work on the laptop. I can only get it to work on an external monitor (and that's only after playing with FN+F8, unplugging vga cable, etc)

I can live with using an external monitor, but can any of you tell me how to get this thing to boot w/o booting off of DellMiniBoot123 CD?

Do I just install Chameleon 2beta? I tried that, but it didn't work, but maybe I did something wrong?

ur help would be greatly appreciated.

And Thank you to vcrman and real_sinjon for the sound tip on using taruga's appleHDA patcher and sigmatel 9200.txt dump method!

• 1 month later...
real_sinjon , can u tell how exactly did u mange to update to 10.5.6 ? I am running 10.5.2 , I already tried update via Kalway 10.5.3 combo update but with no luck :( .

I am running on 9.6.0 kernel, working without problems with dual cores.

Still can't get ethernet to work, I found one kext that make ethernet card visible in ifconfig (with normal mac address ) , but sending or receiving few packages make kernel panic.

Later try make scrolling working . BT & WiFi work out of box without problem.

Sorry for late reply but I've been away from the boards for a while. Hopefully you got to the latest version by now but if not I used the excellent update tools from Mysticus found here and on his own site:- http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109102

These help you to reinstall your custom settings but back up any kexts you have altered just in case so that you can reinstall after using one of the tools such as kext helper or OSX86 Tools. I found I had to manually put back my battery meter and the lid close sleep kexts.

Good luck.

I did a retail Leopard DVD install with DellMiniBoot123 on my d420.

my video won't work on the laptop. I can only get it to work on an external monitor (and that's only after playing with FN+F8, unplugging vga cable, etc)

I can live with using an external monitor, but can any of you tell me how to get this thing to boot w/o booting off of DellMiniBoot123 CD?

Do I just install Chameleon 2beta? I tried that, but it didn't work, but maybe I did something wrong?

ur help would be greatly appreciated.

And Thank you to vcrman and real_sinjon for the sound tip on using taruga's appleHDA patcher and sigmatel 9200.txt dump method!

As above, sorry for late reply but I've been awy from the boards for a while. The answer, in case you havent found it by now is to do with the AppleIntegratedFrameBuffer kext found in System/Library/Extensions. The only install disk I have found that contains a working AIFB is Kalyway 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 which both use the kext from Tiger. All the more upto date distros I've tried display exactly the symptom you are seeing because they use a later Leopard AIFB.

If you have a working install and can view from an external monitor I would suggest replacing the AIFB with the one in the Kalyway distro. I've never done this but it should work fine. Good luck.

I've never used the Dell miniboot cd but it sounds like your boot loader didn't install properly. I would try doing another install of either the latest Chameleon or PCEFI to get the boot loader on to your hard disk.

I decided to have another go at the sound issue as I was not entirely happy with the bluetooth solution. Even though leopard is supposed to be stereo bluetooth compliant I found that I got too many dropped connections with my bluetooth device and the sound quality exhibited massive variability from excellent to very distorted.

So, I tried the VoodooHDA kext which is still in beta and has many bug reports being worked on - NB** :(

You can download this here:

http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/downloa...mp;can=2&q=

I backed up and then deleted the AppleHDA kext then used OSX86Tools to install the Voodoo kext. The result is certainly a big improvement but I suppose mileage will vary depending on the exact spec of each machine and it's early days yet as I havent tested it in every situation such as waking from sleep etc. However, I now have:

Sound from internal speaker - as before (still crappy)

Sound from Headphone jack - as before

Working mute function on internal speaker - as before

Working volume controls on keyboard with HUD - as before

Headphones mute internal speaker when plugged in - previously did not work

Independent volume controls for headphones - previously internal speaker was affected as well

So far so good. This is a big improvement on the HDA patcher solution from Taruga that has served me so well. I'll be watching out for updates to the voodoo project and will let you know how they work for me.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not sure why this wasn't brought up earlier, but its much easier to install Snow Leopard using this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...178411&st=0

Everything seems to work extremely well with the exception of my Intel wireless card (have ordered Dell 1490 via ebay as Intel is not supported). For the DVD player, I downloaded VLC which seems to do the trick.

PS- upgraded to 10.6.2 without problems.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi I finally made my touchpad working with ALPS Glidepad driver! I just follow this guide. You guys can try my customized com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist below, the trick is adjust all the setting under "SynapticsPreferences" yes not under AlpsPreferences follow this guide on what propeties to adjust.

What's working

Tapping

Tap and drag

Scrolling(Horizontal and Vertical)

What's not

Pointing stick

Included in this package are the ALPS Installer, FFScrollDaemon and my customized plist.

Mediafire link

Good Luck!

collit99-

Could you maybe upload your customized plist for scrolling again? The Mediafire link is dead.

And thank you, real_sinjon, for your response. I actually took jbloogs suggestion and used the d620 guide by Leppy700m to install everything over again.

That allowed everything to work (even the video!). And Jabbaranks' tip from Gujal for the sleep works PERFECTLY!

I could never get chameleon 2 to work on my laptop, so I just boot off of a usb stick as described by stickpin here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=115064

Now I'm just trying to get any form of scrolling to work.

Thank you everyone for helping me hack my d420!

Ok, lurker here. Add me to the ranks of those who have installed 10.6 on their D420.

I used the thread that was mentioned by jbloogs. Everything installed smoothly, I'm just waiting on my Dell 1490 Card also.

@jbloogs: Does sleep work for you when you set a System Password? As mentioned in the other thread, it can be inconsistent and mine doesn't work.

Everything else that I care about immediately seems to work, but I will get more in depth once I have working wireless and can do it from my couch.

Thanks to everyone here for posting and sharing their knowledge. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
collit99-

Could you maybe upload your customized plist for scrolling again? The Mediafire link is dead.

And thank you, real_sinjon, for your response. I actually took jbloogs suggestion and used the d620 guide by Leppy700m to install everything over again.

That allowed everything to work (even the video!). And Jabbaranks' tip from Gujal for the sleep works PERFECTLY!

I could never get chameleon 2 to work on my laptop, so I just boot off of a usb stick as described by stickpin here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=115064

Now I'm just trying to get any form of scrolling to work.

Thank you everyone for helping me hack my d420!

Hi, here's the link of my plist.

Dell D420/D430 2 fingerscroll

hey guys, great that you contributed so much! i wasnt able to update my d420 to 10.5.5 so i installed win xp again and currently im pretty happy with win 7...but since you guys got almost everything working, im thinking about to reinstall osx86. ;) If so i will update my post with all your contributions i used.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm new here - I've been using a Mac at work for some time now and I'm thinking of getting putting osx on my d420.

So have people used the D620 guide to install it?

I would love to get this installed on my d420 - I don't have the external burner is it easier to copy the retail dvd onto a usb stick and install?

Sorry for all the questions!

• 1 month later...

Here is a new gospel: Perfect Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on Dell Latitude D420

Preface

• There are two varieties of D420: single core and core duo. This guide applies to core duo only
  • Most of D420 used to ship with Intel wireless. It has to be replaced with a compatible Broadcom wireless

Requirements

Walk through

1. Follow to leppy770m's guide step by step. Don't go for software update yet
  2. Once you have working Snow Leopard, do some fine-tuning

1. Remove the following kexts from /Extra/Extensions/

• AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext - I'm not interested in wired Ethernet. The laptops are for mobility == go wireless

• IONetworkingFamily.kext - The less non-vanilla stuff, the better

• AppleIntelGMA950.kext - Vanilla GMA950 appears to be fine

• IOGraphicsFamily.kext - This is supposed to be in /S/L/E/. Native kext works okay

• Natit.kext - Doesn't do anything good for GMA950, it's mostly for nVidia

[*]Remove AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from /S/L/E/:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

[*]Move AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from /Extra/Extensions/ to /S/L/E/:

sudo mv /Extra/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

[*]Don't do anything to /S/L/Extensions.mkext - Leopard takes care of cache on its own

[*]Rebuild /Extra/Extensions.mkext:

sudo kextcache -quiet -a i386 -z -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

[*]Reboot and confirm you still have perfect Snow Leopard 10.6.0

[*]Run Software Update, take 10.6.3 Combo Update, and all the rest

[*]Reboot and confirm you have perfect Snow Leopard 10.6.3

Notes

• As it is the same frame buffer from Tiger, you would expect exactly the same artefacts
  • Green WiFi indicator keeps off all the time
  • Insomnia. It wouldn't sleep

EDIT: Corrected some spelling and updated HCL 10.6.3

• 7 months later...

Just got a D420 off eBay for $150 and am happy to report that I successfully installed Snow Leopard as per the Leppy instructions: downloaded and burnt CD containing D620SLV1.iso, booted from it on an external USB optical drive (compact LG DVD burner) and all went perfectly. Booting from my Snow Leopard retail DVD took what seemed like a REALLY long time, so much so that I thought something wasn't working right - but after about 15 minutes the Snow Leo install screen came up! Then followed the rest of the instructions and all went perfectly.

Couple of notes: my D420 is the Core Duo 1.2Ghz version with 2.5GB of RAM and a 60GB hard disk.

I was really surprised at how Mac-like the install went. The screen did show the progress bar advancing as the installation was completing. I left the room when it was about halfway, and estimated time at 18 minutes. When I came back the install had completed.

But, the computer had rebooted into the DELL startup screen.

I rebooted and tapped the F12 key and the Dell startup device menu came up, with the hard disk highlighted. I hit Enter and the Dell startup screen appeared with my Mac drive booting (small progress bar that went to about halfway, then the computer booted to the Mac startup screen.

Re. startup: I have to tap F12 at startup and then choose my hard disk as the startup device. The first couple times I rebooted I didn't tap F12 and the computer booted to the Diagnostics page. This occurred even if I had chosen my disk as the startup device in Preferences. Is this normal?

I haven't installed any updates yet. Everything is working fine so far and I don't want to mess with a good thing.

So I still have the basic 10.6.0 installation, with the post install cmd.

I haven't done extensive testing but I can say that:

Audio works perfectly: iTunes, Music on my iPhone, YouTube, system sounds, etc.).

No artifacts on screen up till now.

Software update worked, as I download the latest iTunes in order to use my iPhone.

My iPhone, with OS 4.2.1, is recognized, syncs, charges, etc. Seems to work perfectly.

The USB ports work fine.

I haven't tried wifi as I use a UMTS USB Internet Key. Its software installed fine and it works perfectly. I have the original wifi card installed so I will swap with a Broadcomm in the future.

The Dell function keys work.

Screen brightness works, but the Mac indicator doesn't appear on screen.

Volume works and the Mac indicator appears on screen.

Page up, page down, Home and End work.

Energy: battery and power adapter icons appear in menu. Battery charged appears. Battery percentage appears. Battery time remaining appears and counts down. I am still checking battery duration, as I've just got the D420 and it was used.

Battery info is listed in System Profile.

External USB drives all work fine: DVDs, USB pens, including my SD card pen to transfer my photos, and USB hard disks (both powered and bus-powered).

What can I say? I am really really impressed. Huge thanks to everyone here!!!

Just to correct previous post, I have a Core Duo 1.3 Ghz (not 1.2 Ghz) and both cores are recognized.

Battery: I have just run down the battery from fully charged to the Low Battery warning, which came up at about 5% charge remaining. The original estimate was 1:30 and it was pretty accurate.

The battery's full charge capacity is listed as 2273 mAh.

Cycle count listed as 3.

Condition: Check Battery.

The battery icon in the menu bar says to Service Battery.

I got this message on my Macbook Pro too, after installing Snow Leopard.

Other:

I don't have any Trackpad preference pane, as expected. The trackpad works okay, responds to Mouse settings changes. Tap as Click worked by Default, as did Tap-Drag-Release.

Trackpad buttons: the left button works as Click, the right one as Right Click.

No scrolling.

What's the recommended option for scrolling and/or two-fingered scrolling?

I saw that some older posts had download links to get two-fingered scrolling working, but the links are dead. Does anyone have valid links?

• 1 year later...

I see it was a while .. but here is my take/questions I started with the retail 10.6.4 and the OSXLatitude method wouldn't go

Then I tried the iAtkos S3 v2 adding the Extra y MyHack on top of it it would go thru the installation and the first time it booted it would always go to the external monitor. I decided that I can still use it with that weird setup, so I continued the setup updated to ComboUpdate10.6.8 here it would boot to the external monitor but the mouse would stay locked on the top left corner quite a few trial/error , tried deleting/updating the Mouse/Keyboard kexts to no avail I read somewhere to disable the USB external keyboard/mouse, did it but no difference although this step seemed to get the proper Mouse kext to load properly so now back at rebooting and it would kernel panic on the VoodooHDA deleted it and now alelluya it worked and booted to the Laptop screen

I needed to install Xcode so I added the InstallUPdate.pkg and the Xcode itself back to the same it wouldn't boot, removed the Voodoo again and it booted to the Laptop screen, so it looked like it is all well wifi worked everything really good.

Then I rebooted and back to the boot to external monitor only and the Airport does not turn ON I've been trying so many things with no success ...so any hints here??? it always goes to the laptop external monitor and the Airport does not work

Cheers

Edit: OK figured it out the bootloader from the OSXlatitude does not like my setup, I use the oldie and goodie Chameleon v2.1svn r1547 bootloader and I'm in bussiness