Touchscreen with MacBook Pro

4 posts in this topic

Ok guys, heres the deal, I just got a MacBook Pro yesterday and I was wondering if there is a Touch Screen adapter that I can put over the screen that will allow me to touch it instead of typing. There is one for my normal laptop but I was wondering if you guys knew of one that worked on Mac OS X.

Thanks in advance.

your problem won't be the hardware: it is the lack of software.

There are several vendors of touchpanel kits on ebay and co. http://www.virtualvillage.com i.e (that's where I bought mine).

But OSX isn't designed to be used with a touchpanel ... frontrow, equinux mediacenter, etc. doesn't work with it at all, that what makes it absolutely useless as a media-pc.

For Tiger there is a software called FrontRowRemote or ffremote ... it places transparent buttons above the old frontrow. These buttons look and behave like the apple remote. But there is no chance using ffremote with Leopard and the developer won't do further work on it. (mp3car.com has some threads on it)

But, there are some things like Xgestures and an onscreen keyboard so you could use it to browse the web. But that's it as far as I could figure it out. There is more support for touchscreens in the latest releases of some unix-distros ... ubuntu i.e.

I'm very disappointed about the missing touchscreen-"compatibility"

--EDIT--

When thinking about a touchscreen-kit .. keep in mind that it is not really thin ... the normal touchkits use a glass plate with the film on it ... it is 3-4mm thick ... fitting this in a MacBook Pro could be very difficult.