Reasons why I should buy a Mac

28 posts in this topic

The thing that ticks me off about apple sometimes is they always advertise how powerful there machines are, when something can be built on the windows side for much cheaper.

The mac pros have RAW power to their side, with 8 cores and 1600 fsb, they are the fastest consumer pcs in RAW power out on the market. Sure you could encode stuff on a mac pro faster maybe than a quad core windows machine, but keep in mind you can build an 8 core behemoth that supports crossfire(since the mac pro is a intel 5400 chipset).

PC's have more gaming and multitasking power, period. When it comes to gaming mac's are pretty weak. SLI and crossfire have existed for over 5 years, and mac has yet to adapt it. This is awkward, since their new OS Snow leopard is suppose to use unused gpu power for regular computing. You'd think if mac wants to get wise and say "if we have two cards that would make this faster", hopefully this is the case before it comes out. Hopefully the new mac pro's will use something similar to the skulltrail to allow this

If all you do is game and program, i'd think vista is fine (since is direct x 10 is far superior)

My two cents, I know it has been pretty much been said before, but mac's are more future proof than PC's, mainly because Apple have an idea of the resources needed by their OS as they develop it, I am looking on ebay for a Mac, due to a lack of funds and a dead PC so I may as well make the transition, and I am seeing G4 iMac's that are going but are still pretty high spec for what they were at the time.

But before my computer died I had Leopard running reasonably well on a 3.33GHz Single Core PC with 768MB Ram and it was pretty speedy at that speed, change that to a dual core processor and at least of 1GB of Ram and you have a pretty dam good computer.

Anyway I am trailing off. They're a bit more future proof than PC's for the same price, plus the OS is a lot more cleaner and quicker updated, Vista SP1 has recently been released when Leopard is looking at Revision 4 and it hasn't been out too much longer than Vista.

My Two Cents.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been switching from windows to mac and back to windows for the past few years and in the end. I went back to OSX.

I have an ibook but that's a bit too slow these days so I'm using my hackintosh til I can afford a new mac.

In all seriousness, mac's generally do feel faster than a well spec-ed windows machine. Hardware specs and software management aside, OS X seems to have a lot better memory management than windows. I rarely come across paging and my harddrive is always silent unless I'm doing something intensive. Even at startup, osx seems to be a lot smoother. Keep in mind my hackintosh's specs aren't old (not the best either) but the experience I get in OSX is much better than in windows.

Of course, when you think about it, a hackintosh can probably bring out 80-95% of the whole mac experience at maximum. There'll always be incompatibilities somewhere and then there's the aesthetics of the computer.

I switched to windows initially cos I wanted to game. But then I realised that gaming wasn't that much of an important thing for me and I can do all my gaming in crossover or vmware anyway. So i went back to os x and now i'm finally happy with everything once again.

I've never had any problems with windows too. But there's just a lot of annoying little things here and there that wastes my time and patience. OS X just feels so much easier to use and grow with. (And for some reason, i tend to be a lot more productive when using it too)

My 2 cents.