MacBook Air Beaten

dj_stick

40 posts in this topic

I have to agree with him on this point. I am in San Francisco and I seriously haven't seen an Air around. I mean, ya it's like miniature apple cities in any coffee shop, but I haven't seen someone bust out an Air. The dongle (haha, that word cracks me up) is soooo funky. Even though the powercord/ethernet idea takes some getting used to, the more I think about it the more I like it. It just makes sense! You don't ever forget your powerchord!

Finally saw one in the wild. Sorority girl type had one at Barnes & Noble. I guess if I had daddy's credit card I'd get one too. :P

I got my wife a MBA a couple of months ago and she loves it. It does come with the micro DVI cables and I've hooked it up to a dual monitor for her a few times.

That MBA was what got me looking at OS X and then plunging into the OSx86 world.

I'd never want to use one myself as a sole system but she's just a casual user: email, web and pictures... Seems to suit her just fine. And, the look on her face when I handed her the Interoffice Memo envelope that I slipped it into before giving it to her was priceless. I budget around $2K every 5 years for a new system for her and the MBA came in under that budget.I've found that making the wife feel bleeding edge every once in awhile has always been win/win for me. ;p

• 1 month later...
I got my wife a MBA a couple of months ago and she loves it. It does come with the micro DVI cables and I've hooked it up to a dual monitor for her a few times.

That MBA was what got me looking at OS X and then plunging into the OSx86 world.

I'd never want to use one myself as a sole system but she's just a casual user: email, web and pictures... Seems to suit her just fine. And, the look on her face when I handed her the Interoffice Memo envelope that I slipped it into before giving it to her was priceless. I budget around $2K every 5 years for a new system for her and the MBA came in under that budget.I've found that making the wife feel bleeding edge every once in awhile has always been win/win for me. ;p

gittin gittin some..

Are you Steve Ballmer or is your post merely sarcasm? :-)

What's wrong with having my own opinion? The Macbook Air looks nice, but this notebook has a better look in my eyes. Paying $2000 for it though, not worth it. The same though also goes for the Macbook Air. Not worth the money for me. Both look nice, but I'll never buy either of the two.(Unless I get a very very very very good deal)

A music cd or a dvd?

Wow.. didn't music cd's and dvds go out in the 70s? with hairy chests, big gold chains and hottubbing. - anyone who still uses media on an optical disk is stuck in an old decade.

Sorry I don't feel like having a cord just to pop in a music CD or a DVD...

I have to admit I like the looks as much or more than the MBA. It's close.

I'd never buy either one. The lack of ports really bothers me. It's my main problem with my MBP, in fact. I think it's shameful that my Eee has more ports than the MBP. My Dell has the right amount of ports.

Seriously, am I alone in this problem with not enough ports? Am I the only one who wants to plug in a mouse, my iPod, and a USB stick at the same time?

A music cd or a dvd?

Wow.. didn't music cd's and dvds go out in the 70s? with hairy chests, big gold chains and hottubbing. - anyone who still uses media on an optical disk is stuck in an old decade.

CDs are still one of the best ways to spread out your music, DVDs are still the best way to sell movies. Look all over stores, DVD sales still kill Bluray(Considering bluray isn't cheap either.), Online sales of music and movies are in no need in trouble, but there will always be the music CDs, and DVDs(Until Bluray or some other format comes up and smokes DVD in price and quality) I still use my CDs for my car, I rip them to my computer, and put them on my Zune, all good. Same thing with DVDs, minus the car part.

MacBook Air? I've considered it - selling my MacBook Pro and getting an Air. The missing features don't bother me really. I rarely, not never, rarely import cd's and it'll be to my machine beast not to a pooky dooky laptop if i need to.. Locked in hardware - andddd? I see no issue with that. Its not like i'm going to crack open my macbook pro and pop in a new processor is it? All in all, you need to stop simply complaining, and look at another device.

It's hard to say what will give better performance, because they each run their own type of OS. The Macbook Air is capable of running Windows, and the Voodoo is capable of running OSX86, niether of the two have an os that both share that run natively.