MacBook Air Beaten

dj_stick

40 posts in this topic

It has an extra USB port and replaceable battery, but it's also $300 more, heavier, and thicker on average (the thickness comparison was made at the Air's thickest point). It's not really fair to praise them for bundling the optical drive, when you can get the Air with an optical drive and still pay $200 less.

It's not really fair to praise them for bundling the optical drive, when you can get the Air with an optical drive and still pay $200 less.

Sorry I don't feel like having a cord just to pop in a music CD or a DVD...

Sorry I don't feel like having a cord just to pop in a music CD or a DVD...

Then get a computer that isn't either of the two compared, because this one comes bundled with an external drive, not an internal one.

It does have a backlit keyboard.

But it doesn't seem to have an optical drive either, and moreover it uses a stripped down OS. And it is more expensive than the Macbook Air since the Macbook Air starts at $1799 and the Voodoo starts at $2100.

The Voodoo does seem very well-designed and cool, but I would also rather have the Macbook Air. Also, the Macbook Air has multi-touch (although the Voodoo has it too) :D

Sorry buddy,

but your subtitle lies. You say it beats the MacBook Air. Let me see.

Design - 5:0 for MacBook Air

Operating System - 1:0 for MacBook Air

Ugliness - 0:1 for Voodoo Envy

So the score is 6:1 for the MacBook Air - no doubt about the winner! :-D

Good friend of mine works at Frys. He tells me the Air just isn't selling well at all. The $1099 Macbooks are selling so fast they can't keep them in stock, but the Airs are collecting dust. I live is Austin, TX which is a very techie and wealthy city and I've yet to see an Air in the wild... and I live at freakin' coffee shops frequented by Macheads.

Sorry buddy,

but your subtitle lies. You say it beats the MacBook Air. Let me see.

Design - 5:0 for MacBook Air

Operating System - 1:0 for MacBook Air

Ugliness - 0:1 for Voodoo Envy

So the score is 6:1 for the MacBook Air - no doubt about the winner! :-D

You forgot to add in the second USB port for the Envy, as well as all the holes on the back for various varieties of cables.

If you add all that in, we get something like 6:2 for the Macbook Air... still no doubt about the winner :-D

You guys completely miss the fact that we should be comparing the $2000 Voodoo to the $3000 MacBook Air. The Voodoo comes with a 64 GB SSD standard. Sure its not a mac, but at least I get a disk drive, an ethernet port, eSATA, HDMI (not some Apple micro-DVI for which I have to by cables from apple for too much money), and a removable battery (which is sort of nice). For a $1000 less it seems to be worth the money, even though the looks may take some time getting used to.

We always have OSx86, however, this laptop will have issues with wireless as they are still working on the driver. Dunno if the eSATA will work in OSx86 either, but still, its cheaper even without those features, two USB ports, ethernet, removable battery and multi-touch (which will probably work). The graphics and the chipset are good, so this machine should be set for OSx86.

You guys completely miss the fact that we should be comparing the $2000 Voodoo to the $3000 MacBook Air. The Voodoo comes with a 64 GB SSD standard. Sure its not a mac, but at least I get a disk drive, an ethernet port, eSATA, HDMI (not some Apple micro-DVI for which I have to by cables from apple for too much money), and a removable battery (which is sort of nice). For a $1000 less it seems to be worth the money, even though the looks may take some time getting used to.
Nope, it comes standard with a normal 80gb 1.8" 4200RPM hdd, and it's $1000 extra to upgrade to the 64gb SSD, just like the Macbook Air.

Good friend of mine works at Frys. He tells me the Air just isn't selling well at all. The $1099 Macbooks are selling so fast they can't keep them in stock, but the Airs are collecting dust. I live is Austin, TX which is a very techie and wealthy city and I've yet to see an Air in the wild... and I live at freakin' coffee shops frequented by Macheads.

I have to agree with him on this point. I am in San Francisco and I seriously haven't seen an Air around. I mean, ya it's like miniature apple cities in any coffee shop, but I haven't seen someone bust out an Air. The dongle (haha, that word cracks me up) is soooo funky. Even though the powercord/ethernet idea takes some getting used to, the more I think about it the more I like it. It just makes sense! You don't ever forget your powerchord!