iPhone 3G Carriers

Wayfarer247

22 posts in this topic

Hey, quick question. Now that the iPhone will be available for 3G, will we be able to use a new carrier with it, after jailbreaking it? For instance, could Jailbreak the Phone (or sim unlock it) and then use the 3G iPhone on the Verizon network, which is 3G in some places? How exactly does that work?

You can't use the iPhone on Verizon, Sprint, or Alltell. They are CDMA networks, AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM based.

Thusly, in the USA, you could only use the iPhone on T-Mobile if you have to unlock it. In other countries, it may be different.

Only time will tell.

Thanks for the reply. I was hopeful that the 3G phone might change that, but alas. I guess we just have to wait until the iPhone contract opens up.

You'll have to wait another 4 years for that. Apple and AT&T have a 5 year deal going from when the first iPhone was released.

Im going to sell my 2g iPhone on eBay and put the money towards the £99 for the 3g and then the rest of the money for the first few months of the contract, im really pleased its not £269 again :)

I doubt you will be able to unlock it unless you effectively steal it. You have to activate your iPhones in store.

Nah, go ahead with their silly contract and activation, then terminate contract, pay $175. Done. iPhone 3G is yours for a perceived premium.

Nah, go ahead with their silly contract and activation, then terminate contract, pay $175. Done. iPhone 3G is yours for a perceived premium.

That's if you do it after 30 days. If you do it before 30 days, you will be required to return the phone.

Oh, I forgot to mention that 3G is actually just a term used for "3rd Generation" of network technology.

CDMA2000 (which is used by Verizon, Alltel, and Sprint) is 3G, and AT&T and T-Mobile use UMTS which encompasses either some or all of the following: HSPA {HSDPA, HSUPA, or HSPA+}, UMTS-TDD {TD-CDMA, TD-SCDMA} or FOMA.

The iPhone uses UMTS/HSDPA on 850, 1900, 2100 MHz. When not in a 3G area, it defaults to GSM/EDGE on 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Verizon strictly uses CDMA2000 1x on either 450, 700, 800, 900, 1700, 1800, 1900, or 2100 MHz and EV-DO on 1.25 MHz, which is not compatible with the iPhone at all, hence why you cannot use it with Verizon.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program.

That's if you do it after 30 days. If you do it before 30 days, you will be required to return the phone.

No, if you don't activate it within 30 days, you will have to pay a fine. Where did you hear that people will have to return it?

No, if you don't activate it within 30 days, you will have to pay a fine. Where did you hear that people will have to return it?

No. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about canceling the contract after you've activated it. If it's within 30 days, you will be required to return the phone with no early termination fee. If it's after 30 days, you will keep the phone, but pay a $175 termination fee - $5 for each month you've had service.

OK, so we have a problem here.

It is supposed that iPhones won't be sold without proper In-Store activation right?

Imagine the time it will take to activate all iPhones sold on launch day?

Predictions about this?

It is supposed that iPhones won't be sold without proper In-Store activation right?

Predictions about this?

What they will be doing is they will have an express line for upgrades with people who have the current gen 2G iPhone. You will get the new 3G iPhone, scanned into the system and be off. Then, when you get home you use the SIM-Ejector Tool (Aka the paper clip) to switch out the SIM, connect it to iTunes and activate it.

• 3 weeks later...

Will the Express Line require getting the new contract right away, or is that something that can be done with iTunes? I use AT&T but I never actually got the iPhone plan (why pay more for less?) and I'd like to keep that plan if I could...

Here's one way of getting around the silly iPhone-specific rate plan (but not the contract). Once the phone's been activated and all that jazz, log into your mobile account on AT&T's website and where the phone type is listed, select the "this is not my phone" option and change the phone to some other 3G model such as a Samsung A707 or similar. Then "upgrade" the rate plan to a normal data plan. It's worked for me on a 4GB iPhone for almost a year. There's no way Apple can tell that you're using an iPhone and there's no breach of contract.

Predictions about this?

Now you know, the activation servers were down.

No. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about canceling the contract after you've activated it. If it's within 30 days, you will be required to return the phone with no early termination fee. If it's after 30 days, you will keep the phone, but pay a $175 termination fee - $5 for each month you've had service.

Are U sure about this procedure ??

It opens a wide "buying iPhone 3G at 375 usDollars only" :D

Are U sure about this procedure ??

It opens a wide "buying iPhone 3G at 375 usDollars only" :P

It's a little more than that.

$199 for iPhone + $175 termination fee + $70 for one month of service + $36 upgrade fee + taxes and fees = about $580...so it's not going to be that much less that AT&T's supposed "no-commitment" prices that have yet to be announced.