snow-leopard-will-support-powerpc-chips

macgirl

64 posts in this topic

Darn you, I wanted to be the first to say that! :censored2:

It wouldn't have been such a big deal to me if she wasn't such a huge fangirl about it, ignoring evidence and official statements - ah, when logic and reason prevail it is a golden day indeed.

You know, I was thinking, when you install OS X to a mac from the retail disc, why didn't Apple make it so that it auto recognizes the machines architecture and then strips out the code for the other architecture? In fact, I think I could actually make a simple shell script that does exactly that using "ditto", and then set it to run at the end of the install. That would be sweet, something to consider if I ever make my own OSx86 distro. Would save a lot of disk space, and its such a simple and easy to implement idea. I agree that PowerPC has to go sometime, but discontinuing support for all the poor people who bought G5 Quads doesn't seem right, and it doesn't seem like Apple. Maybe by 10.7 or 10.8 but definitely not only 2 years after the discontinuation of the G5s.
It may have been said before but I haven't seen it said before! It seems like common sense, doesn't it, to at least offer the option at the end of the install? As good a point now as it was back then, ~pcwiz.

Thanks for posting, Macgirl. (ah, just noticed the posting date) Here's hoping Apple, like MS, will yet remember that a lot of people aren't upgrading their hardware in the middle of a recession... I am very attached to my older Mac Mini. By budgetary necessity.

Remember the abrupt discontinuing of Classic in Leopard, even on PPC? That caused quite a bit of uproar, but it settled down in a few weeks. Honestly, I didn't see anything that I would spend money on to upgrade to Leopard from Tiger on my iBook G4, considering that even Tiger is a little bit sluggish on it. Time Machine? That's just a GUI for a technology that's been around for decades in the UNIX world. New iChat? I have Leopard on my primary computer, my MacBook and it still has quite a few kinks to work out before I'm satisfied, especially in the cross-platform department (from Mac-Windows chats, file transfers, and video chats). Who said Apple won't continue supporting Leopard for a few years? They still support Tiger. They just released a security update and Safari 4 for it. Just my 2 cents.

Actually, I noticed major performance improvements on my iBook G4 from Tiger to Leopard, especially when I disabled the 3D dock and a few other visual aesthetics. Speeds in most applications noticably improved. As long as you're not stupid enough to be trying to run an iBook with 512 MB of RAM, you're set. (for the record, mine's maxed out at 1.5gb)

• 1 month later...

Aaah! Gotta love some companies.. Now i might as well run Ubuntu Linux on my 53 PPC G5 Quad with 8-16GB ram and quadro 4500 graphics.. Oh but wait all my lovely $$#$%%! software I paid for will no longer run.. -points a finger in Autodesk's direction-

Nothanks to greedy corporations badgering consumers into throwing away perfectly good hardware.. Oh well flog the graphics and turn it into a headless webservers :thumbsup_anim:

I'm buying a new blade , intel based system before I shell out $14,000 for a custom top end tinker-boxes.. Pityfull...

Regards

One-less-mac-fanatic

I wouldn't say it's a minor upgrade if you want to practically double the performance of your computer...the performance difference is totally astonishing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Now the time has come and gone for Snow Leopards release. We know now that this was an irresponsible rumor at best. Snow Leopard needs Intel processor. Nothing you do with Open Firmware will change that. It's not as simple as the 867MHz speed check that Leopard does for a G4. You can hack the installer DVD to make a new one that will work fairly well with an X86 box, but never with a G4.

As far as not needing XPostFacto if you hack Open Firmware, that also is hooey. There are no kernel extensions for the older hardware. That's why you need XPostFacto to make OS X run on a pre-G3 box. I have an 8600 running 10.4.11, but not by hacking Open Firmware. It doesn't even have the option to boot to Open Firmware! Ha! How you gonna hack something that doesn't exist?

Apple doesn't leave the G5 owners on a desert island. They have their Leopard and it works fine. Snow Leopard with the optional Rosetta installed is about 90% of what Leopard is. There's not much added and quite a bit (PPC code) taken away. Speed is about the same Application support (with Rosetta) is about the same. That's why it isn't called "Lion". It's just a bit more nimble Leopard. Apple wouldn't sell it for $29 if it were a big change. Vista is a big change from XP. That's why PC heads will pay (or torrent) for it. After all, XP is how old now? Nine years?

• 3 weeks later...