Force Video Resolution on Mac mini ?

i9300

6 posts in this topic

I have video issues with my mac mini. I need to force a specific resolution.

* The mac mini (os 10.5.2 -- or .3 whatever is the newest update ) is my media computer connected dvi to the tv. This is not the problem.

* I occasionally use the mini for making home movies but too cumbersome with the tv, so I unplug the mini and relocate it to my office to work.

I connect it via vga cable to my ViewSonic 19 widescreen 1440x900 @60hz. This works with one VGA cable I have. I have two other ones that can't autodetect the display.

I then only have the option of 1400x1008. This is a resized distorted image. I need to know how to force the mini to use 1440x900. I also tested all three cables with my pc and autodetect is fine (ie I get the correct 1440x900 resolution). So I can't fault the cables.

Someone will ask -- why I don't just use the the one vga cable that works..... Well one that does not work (at correct resolution) is a 50ft vga. This way I can leave the mini where it is at and still work on it in the office.

I do not want to force a resolution at startup like this thread....

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83245

Because it's normal resolution is 1920x1080 when attached to tv.

Unless I use the boot loader and maybe have two boot options, default with no options and then another to force into 1440x900.

I have tried the utility DisplayConfigX. However it is not freeware and does not support this resolution in unregistered mode. Sorry but not even gonna think about buying it if I can't test it.

But really -- I don't like the idea of buying anything for this problem because the OS has no reason not to be able to use this resolution. Well, I guess that is my opinion, the mini seems to have a different opinion.

Ideas?

-Chris

Well, Maybe it once was free.... from the website.....

SwitchResX is distributed as shareware, and registration is 14 €.

This means you can try the program without any limitation for a period of 10 days:

The distributed version is identical to the registered version.

After this 10-day period, if you want to continue to use it, you should register.

The preferences that you defined won't be loaded or saved any more until you enter the code that you'll be given after registration.

I just think the MAC OS should be able to do this, and I should not have to pay $20 to get it to play well with my monitor.

I had the same problem with my Widescreen 19 samsung 1440x900 + mac-mini.

Download the SwitchResX, because the program will let you set the wished resolution and then, after the end of the shareware period the OSX will keep/store the information in register and will not bother you anymore...

Hope it helps.

:P