Why are iPod's so popular?

Al X And Er

33 posts in this topic

It's Apple :)

Also since it was really the first "acceptable" mp3 player. Then when you had it, people thought it was cool to have it (in the kid world) so they had to have it and it quickly became a big trend.

But now, it's mostly just that big apple thingy on the back just like on macs.

Another reason is that Apple doesn't let third-parties manufacture the iPod itself so it is yea :P

The big question is: Why are iPod's so popular?

I mean, there are plenty of other multimedia devices that have plenty more features/functions....

So, what is it?

Is it their looks, their system, their support, apple?!?!, or just because it's trendy to hav 1?

Well it was the first, it got us all used to using iTunes to sync, and it's got a good design. It'll take more than a few measly features to make people switch from the iPod... even if they do die every couple years, requiring us to buy the newest ones.

It's the design and name.

That's like saying why do more people who can afford it drive a Lexus rather than a Toyota? Same company, same parts, but it's the look, the feel, the 'ride' of an iPod that makes it appealing. You're not only buying an MP3 player, you're buying a sexy piece of art in a way. And it sings to you!

When iPod first came out, I never expected it to be a success, never mind such a amazing triumph. And the price!! $500! Why? It didn't offer anything that you couldn't get already.

It's the MP3 player for everyone, it's not intimidating. It's well designed, iTunes + iPod is simple and well thought out. It's attractive and sexy. It was the big popular item in Hollywood. For all these reasons, people bought it in droves.

I blame you Americans and your addiction to consumer electronics! (Ha ha, look who's talking, I'm completely addicted :P)

If there was any justice in the world, iMacs would sell like iPods. meh, they probably will in a couple of years. Apple's rich enough already, smug bastards.

The design and the fact that it make you cool. Altough there are better players as Creative, Iriver or COWON.

The average customer, which doesn't use to have knoweledge about mp3 players and his features, always prefer Ipod...

When I bought my first iPod, I wanted a player that could hold all of my music. Hated shuffling songs on my 32MB Creative. What an amazing player the iPod was and still is. 5 Years without skipping a beat.

Now if my iPod died and I needed a new player, I would probably buy the iPod. There are way toooooo many other choices(with their own pros and cons, actually choosing would drive me nuts) , and plus no one beats Apple on support. Apple just replaces a faulty iPod with a new one!!

I bought my iPod touch after reading about the jailbreaking methods. When I learned I could turn it from just an MP3 player with WiFi into something so much more useful and entertaining, that was the catch for me. Customizing it is a lot of fun, the interface is fantastic, and because of the ability to modify and customize (albeit not sanctioned by Apple) the device how I want, it makes it so much more worth it for me. These are things I cannot do with any other MP3 player. It is basically now my PDA.

The iPod wins - in part - because of Pixo OS.

Pixo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixo), for those of you that don't know, is quite simply the iPod's operating system and interface. I used to try to play music with my dad's Creative. It would only store songs alphabetically and play them in that order, and the interface was incomprehensible. Now, this is from several years ago, but when I got my iPod mini, it was as if a light turned on. It was intuitive, and looked very sleek and stylish. Even in black and white - it was simple, but beautiful. So, without anyone knowing, Pixo is one of the most widely used embedded OSes ever.

Oh, and advertising helps an enormous amount. Apple poured money into advertising for the iPod.

The iPod is doing extremely well because of the same reason Windows is doing very well.
ummm...NO! Yes, I get what you're saying...But at what point in Microsoft's history can you honestly say that they offered a more elegant and well thought out solution to their competitors, and that's why they dominated?

apple's so awesome........................what's the bet one day they're gonna take over the universe so the only car you can buy is an apple icar, and the only food you can buy is apple ifood from apple ishopping....................lol...... wouldn't be bad!?!?!

• 4 weeks later...
apple's so awesome........................what's the bet one day they're gonna take over the universe so the only car you can buy is an apple icar, and the only food you can buy is apple ifood from apple ishopping....................lol...... wouldn't be bad!?!?!

surely the only food you could buy would be apples??? :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
ummm...NO! Yes, I get what you're saying...But at what point in Microsoft's history can you honestly say that they offered a more elegant and well thought out solution to their competitors, and that's why they dominated?

Microsoft office except for the 2007 edition is good.

Also Windows XP kicked ass in 2001.

Please do tell any problems with Office '07.

Wow, Windows 2k with a new, {censored} UI. How original. :(

Actually Windows 2k is the best OS that MS have put out in years. Luna isn't that bad (I use it every day at work). Yes I prefer Aqua, but W2k and XP weren't actually bad operating systems. Yes they have viri and malware aplenty, but as the biggest OS out there they are the biggest target. OS X is not invulnerable.

Office up to 2007 (I don't like the UI of 2007) is actually bloody good.

However the iPod is successful for 2 reasons that are the core of any Apple product.

Ease of use and beautiful design.

They were the first out there to achieve it with an MP3 player and thus captured the market.