Which System is better? Windows, Mac or Linux? And what distribution/version do you like the best?

Al X And Er

Which OS do you like the best?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which OS do you think's the best?

• Windows
    • Mac
    • Linux
    • Other
  2. 2. Which Windows do you think is the best?

• Windows 95
    • Windows 98
    • Windows ME
    • Windows 2000
    • Windows XP (Yeah! Go XP!)
    • Windows Vista
    • Other Windows
  3. 3. Which Mac OS do you like the best?

• Mac OS 9 or Lower
    • Mac OSX 10.0
    • Mac OSX (in between 10.0 and 10.4)
    • Mac OSX 10.4 (Tiger)
    • Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard)
    • iATKOS/Kalyway Mac OS X
    • Other Mac OS

70 posts in this topic

Microsoft is finally starting to head in the right direction.

Yep, and in two or three more years they may even catch up to OS X 10.4 once they get all the features they copied to work right. :blink:

Windows 2000 is just more stable I find; it does what it's supposed to without trying too hard. XP seems too focussed on being 'Simple to use' that alot of features became inaccessible and tedious

windows 2000 professional was lovely to work with, fast, stable, XP was built upon that so i guess that's why we are all so fond of XP these days.

Vista is just ugh :P

I love Mac OSX but i think finder is very annoying to work with, nowhere near as officiant as explorer or thunar (linux) etc.

I'd have to say Mac is the best OS. Simply because Linux is overly complicated and Windows is well...Windows. The best Windows version is Vista. Why? Microsoft is finally starting to head in the right direction. Best OS X is Tiger. Why? Well, it's what started the whole OSX86 community. Good old 10.4.1
You call really huge amounts of bloat, a really bad network stack that breaks, a new audio stack which is total {censored} and changing the driver code right at the last minute totally screwing up nvidia/ati/intel drivers all at once requiring everyone to start over? UAC? and wmp11...boy they ruined that in vista.Microsoft went hugely in the wrong direction with vista, aero has no functionality, it just looks nice, for a short while...after that you realise its just trying way too hard to look pretty to distract you from just how slow the OS is, try it without aero off and be amazed at the slowness and clunkyness of the UI.Then there is the constant UI inconsistences across the OS, everything looks out of place with everything else.Could go on forever :P *Misses longhorn days, vista looked so promising back then...Anyway 7 is on track...it's shaping up to what vista should have been and it's actually ALOT faster already, unfortunetly still the same {censored} aero interface.
To be honest; I find Finder much more streamlined and sensibly integrated than Explorer or the Linux shells I've used, Well, Vista's Explorer anyway. Let's face it; Vista is just about as useful as M.E....
Hmm, big difference of opinion here, i feel very restricted while using Finder in all honesty.Explorer would be great with multi-tabs, other than that i cant really say much bad about it.What do you find good about finder? i really cant think of anything, sure it fits in well with the OS but it's pure hell for moving files about and arranging them properly, imo.

I don't know; I just Finder to be alot more sensibly designed; whereas Explorer (in Windows 6.0) seems rather topheavy and impractical. Finder does what it's supposed to without bloating out the OS and causing bugs, something Explorer seems incapable of

But finder doesnt remember your folder views (constantly changes for me) and even so you have to set it for EVERY folder you go in, this is pure hell if you have folders 5-6 deep or have alot of downloads/movies/encodes etc, makes it extremely stressful.

And the random icon movements, i get sick of aligning them out then they go out of place when i delete a file, infact, i got so annoyed with finder i removed leopard all together, just not practical when you use the PC/Mac for downloading etc.

Explorer is MUCH better in that respect.

Explorer in vista really doesnt make much sense (why do i have to alt+tab just to bring up the old file, edit etc? grr!) the sidebar isnt consistent either, i had to modify it soon as i got in vista, but then, there is nothing i like about vista anyway, i get annoyed with it within 10mins of use, so im pretty much stuck with XP, linux annoys me as well, lol.

I like Leopard, way better than Tiger and runs smoother even on the older Macs. I'm usin Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.3 atm on my macbook and 10.5.0 on a PM G4 Quicksilver.

The best Hackintos distro is Kalyway. It just works better than all the others

Best Windows is XP. I've used it without major problems for a while now for gaming. Still a bad OS for everyday use.

no apparently the aero interface in windows 7 is only going to be during the testing phases, while they're developing a new interface......... apparently it's going to include the ribbon included in office 2007, and there's gonna be some new major feature called HomeGroup or something that allows you to LIVELY sync with other computers, mobile phones, tv's, even cars, live whereever you are. sounds pretty fancy! anyone heard about the proposed new 'snow leopard 10.6?' apparently it's going to have around 3000+ features which is more features that were included from the first OS X to leopard.........slowly, at the moment XP is better than vista in most aspects.... but more products like VMware ThinStall are coming out where you can run any program from any copy of windows on any copy of windows, so all of those incompatible programs that don't work on vista are runable....................quite fascinating.

pfft sounds awesome........

my sucky laptop is constantly overheating and iatkos nor kalyway works with it................ what's up with this new EFiX thing? maybe it'll work on mine.................also, what system are you using now? presumably osx?

Yeah... OS X Ftw =] After migrating I really can't look back... It takes a quarter of the time to boot as Vista; so I configured BCD to boot OS X automatically.

Tbh I'm not so keen on the who Efi-X thing; It seems to take the 'challenge' away from the whole OS x86 scene, if you get me? I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way... it just seems like an 'easy way out' sort of thing...

no apparently the aero interface in windows 7 is only going to be during the testing phases, while they're developing a new interface......... apparently it's going to include the ribbon included in office 2007, and there's gonna be some new major feature called HomeGroup or something that allows you to LIVELY sync with other computers, mobile phones, tv's, even cars, live whereever you are. sounds pretty fancy! anyone heard about the proposed new 'snow leopard 10.6?' apparently it's going to have around 3000+ features which is more features that were included from the first OS X to leopard.........slowly, at the moment XP is better than vista in most aspects.... but more products like VMware ThinStall are coming out where you can run any program from any copy of windows on any copy of windows, so all of those incompatible programs that don't work on vista are runable....................quite fascinating.
Err, the interface in 7 is not gonna change much and they are keeping aero, windows 7 is mostly going to be about touchscreen, we wont see many UI improvements at all.It's going to be all about performance/speed.
Home built... but kept upgrading. I'd say my spec's more mediocre tbh though...2gb 677mhz Kingston RAM,Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS4*500gb WD HDD2*LG Lightscribe DVD+DL writersIntel Pentium D 3ghz Dual Core 64x
Quad Core QX96508GB DDR3 @ 1833MHZ2X8800GTX Sli3TB Spaceetc here...overkill..for now...but i know it will last me for 3-5 years so its money very well spent.

yeah............................................i'm just wanting to try it because i can't install it.... it's kinda weird how i can't, it boots into the installer and all, i format right and stuff, followed tutourials and been guided by friends who have done it, but each & every single time, at about 5-10% it just stops and has an error about some 'Intel.1.5.1' package could not be installed thing...... Tried iatkos, kalway and all. maybe i could get the latest iatkos 2.0? would that solve the problem? only issue is that my internet is really slow (512kilobits) and I only get 7gig to download per month, don't ask why it's just the way the internet works in my house lol

btw levkovski, how much did that home pc cost u inc. all the bits and bobs? (USD)yeah, well the problemo is that this is my school pc....... kinda managed by the schools it dept. the options in my bios are what you'd call scary, like you search them in google and not even google gives you an explanation lol..................

I like in Rip-Off Britain... and all together it cost around £670, which would be $1310.32 in USD...

You get computers supplied by school? How lucky is that XD

the computers at my school are pathetic little Dell Dimensions with 60gb HDDs and 17" Monitors XD

Is there any option to turn off one processor core?

yeah i think there might be...... i'll have a look sometime when i backup all my stuff...................

yeah we have to pay for the laptop's, but the school provides them, we HAVE to get them otherwise we can't be at the school

You call really huge amounts of bloat, a really bad network stack that breaks, a new audio stack which is total {censored} and changing the driver code right at the last minute totally screwing up nvidia/ati/intel drivers all at once requiring everyone to start over? UAC? and wmp11...boy they ruined that in vista.

Re: bloat - Yeah, Vista's fairly piggish, but by 2008 standards it's not so out of place. On my Macbook Pro with OS X 10.5.3, I have Safari, Colloquy, and MSN Messenger running. Total RAM in use currently is just over 1.1GB. I have yet to install any recent desktop version of Linux on real hardware, so I can't compare it. Maybe someone here can show some information?

Re: network stack - I'm not sure why you are having problems, but my Vista (and Windows in general) networking has been problem-free. Whether I'm on wired or wireless, I have no complaints. The Vista "Network and Sharing Center" is a little odd, but I'm slowly getting used to it.

Re: audio stack - while I'm not sure I'd say it's "total {censored}" I can say I am annoyed they ditched hardware acceleration. I've been a loyal Creative Labs fanboy for years JUST for this, and it pains me that when I upgrade my gaming desktop and move it to Vista I won't be using a Creative Labs card. The audio stack definitely needed a re-write, I don't think they did as good a job as they could have.

Re: driver code - Obviously someone knew something, as ATI's drivers at Vista RTM, while not stellar, were far more mature than nVidia's. ATI didn't even miss a monthly driver release cycle, while nVidia got really quiet and had a strange driver schedule from that point on pretty much.

Re: UAC - a popular Vista dis. Ya know, on my laptop I put Vista x64 on, and I decided to keep UAC enabled. It really doesn't bother me much, and when it does I don't mind it. It could use some tweaking, and what I wouldn't give for some kind of verifiable "whitelist" function to say "this app with this hash is ALWAYS safe" but for now I don't mind hitting "allow" on the rare app that wants it. OMG ONE CLICK. And of course, UAC can be disabled for the really whiny people that REALLY hate it so much.

Re: WMP11 - Not sure what's wrong here. It seems to run OK for me. I even fool with the 64-bit WMP11 and got some codecs for it. Not sure there's any benefit to that, but hey, 64-bit is the FUTURE!

Vista has grown on me. I wasn't sure I liked it at RTM, and while I ran it on and off on my laptop most of 2007, I still ended up back on XP64 (or OS X). SP1 kind of cleared any doubt for me, and I decided to give it another shot, and so far it's run really well for me. I still have my gripes, some of which are fairly serious (WTF is with Media Center installing a bunch of {censored} the first time it's ran?) but overall it's nice to look at without being too gaudy, runs very smooth for me, and is modern. Whether being modern is good or bad, who knows. It's a little of both I guess.