Which System is better? Windows, Mac or Linux? And what distribution/version do you like the best?

Al X And Er

Which OS do you like the best?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which OS do you think's the best?

• Windows
    • Mac
    • Linux
    • Other
  2. 2. Which Windows do you think is the best?

• Windows 95
    • Windows 98
    • Windows ME
    • Windows 2000
    • Windows XP (Yeah! Go XP!)
    • Windows Vista
    • Other Windows
  3. 3. Which Mac OS do you like the best?

• Mac OS 9 or Lower
    • Mac OSX 10.0
    • Mac OSX (in between 10.0 and 10.4)
    • Mac OSX 10.4 (Tiger)
    • Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard)
    • iATKOS/Kalyway Mac OS X
    • Other Mac OS

70 posts in this topic

Hey!

I'm just wondering on everyone's opinion and what Operating System they think is the best. Out of Windows, Mac and Linux, which one do you prefer?

I like My Windows XP the best, it's fast, user-friendly, and works very well with all my programs. Vista is also good, but too many programs aren't supported.

I like Mac OS X too, but it doesn't have all the games and programs Windows have. I'd love to have both, I've tried iATKOS and Kalyway, but for some reason my computer doesn't like it :)

So what's your opinion on your favourite system? Tell us all about it, and why you love it

Well, thousands of new users, thousands more new opinions!

Sometimes people need to arise the debate again, even after it has appeared several times, to get all those new opinions from different people :)

i really like the look of iatkos...... but it only bugged my system up when i tried to install...... failed each time (with kalyway and iatkos!) at around 5% of installation, which really peeved me off....... especially with all the formatting i had to do!!!!!! lol

Sometimes people need to arise the debate again, even after it has appeared several times, to get all those new opinions from different people :)

Not really.

I wait with anticipation to see how the members on this essentially a "Mac" based forum vote between OS X and Windows, should be interesting. :):P

quite right........... although insanelymac does seem one of the more popular/less annoying forums when it comes to windows, mac and what have you....... so unfortunately some windows fans do show their sides a little even in foreign territory :)

i love os x more than windows 2, but i'm really peeved at it because iatkos/kalyway etc won't work on my pc.................

lol

os x is also really buggy, i must also admit that vista is full of bugs too. lets face it, all os's currently available suck :)

Hi Al X And Er,

Why are you making fun of us? :-(

Or do you actually mean what you are saying? That'd be irritating.

You should not post nonsense like this at a board full of Mac OS X enthuasiasts who love their operating system a lot.

"Let's face it", Mac OS X is several years ahead of the Windows Operating System. You can't compare them, there is no excuse. All Microsoft has been doing in the last 5 years was spending their money on excessive research -> copying Google and Apple.

Mac OS X is efficient, it uses the power of UNIX and the elegance and design perfection of the Mac. It combines two strong elements to provide first class workflow.

And one of the best parts that I do like about Mac is its community. It consists of well educated persons. Macs are mainly used at Science Work, Universities, / productive work (such as e.g. coding/art/music).

You can feel free to agree to Steve Ballmers unpleasable opinion. Quantity is the only thing that matters to them. They don't have any problem to sell their third rate products, because they believe in them. Windows is an operating system for the crowds, and you know it.

Mac OS X Leopard is the first-class operating system for productive users.

Ps. Now it's my turn to make a little fun of you,

Joke of the Year: "Microsoft is an innovative company!" :-D

Yours sincerely,

Puttabong

OMG 40 floppies?? That's 57.6mb of data... wow the good ol' days... I wonder how many floppies it'd take to back up my 1.5 terrabyte setup XD

Well, let's see. 1.44mb per floppy, 1 million megabytes per terabyte...well there you go. More than a million.

I voted Mac/Vista/Leopard. I love my Power Mac G5. I don't know how I lived using an HP Media Center PC and an iMac G4. Loved the G4, but it was slow as hell. Hated the PC, but it was faster. Now, I have a dual 2 GHz G5 and all is well. Runs faster than the iMacs in the store, too.

Vista is the only Microsoft OS that hasn't managed to {censored} me off to extreme measures yet. This is in part because I don't own it yet and only have it in a virtual machine (yay free microsoft downloads). XP was decent until it completely melted down in my face in a rather spectacular way (I tried to delete an account, and the computer turns itself off and restarts. I'm sorry, WTF?), and I had to system recover it twice, rendering all of my programs unusable (including Object Desktop, VMware Workstation, and MS Office, none of which I have been able to recover the serials from, meaning I have two choices - buy new, or use open source - so now VirtualBox and OpenOffice are in), and creating three random "HP_Administrator" accounts, giving them all crazy names and making it all around impossible to use. Can't format and reinstall, either, because Microsoft in its wisdom declines to give even restore DVDs. So here I am stuck with a crippled XP Media Center Ed (which, so that it might boot up in less than 5 minutes, has been purged of all media center functionality - it's so cute, it thinks it's XP Pro now), that has 1 functioning account, as I had to delete the other two, and that just about did it. Windows 2000 I never had, but my school had it and boy did I hate it. Windows 95 and 98 were 16-32 bit hybrid pieces of {censored}. Windows 3.1...well I was about 2 years old when that came out, but judging from some nice VMwarization, it's pretty awesome, (gotta love the 16 colors) if completely useless. So there's my anti-Microsoft rant. Although, I love MS Office.

I didn't know anything about Macs until about 4 months ago, when I got an iMac G4. It looked cool, and it was 250 bucks. I loved it. It led me to discover the Power Mac G5, which still had only Panther until about a week ago and was used solely for music editing. Using both the HP PC and the G4, it became clear to me that I had no more use for Windows. I still don't mind using a PC every once in a while, but the design, speed, and functionality of Apple hardware and software was what convinced me. Now, I don't think Apple's perfect. Far from it. There are several things that flummox and irritate me about Macs that I think Windows got right. The first is the close button, which doesn't actually do anything. If you want to quit a program, you use Command-Q or choose it from the menu. But if I want to close it, I want to close it, by god. Some programs are sensible like that (System Preferences, Disk Utility), and some I can understand why you would want to keep open, even without a window open (i.e. web browsers with downloads ongoing). But System Profiler? What bonus do I get from having System Profiler without a window? Okay, Mac-rant done.

Final thoughts: Apple is awesome. Microsoft would be if it weren't so hard to do something and not crash. Macs are expensive, but truly are awesome desktop computers. Their laptops are nice, but honestly not worth the price, in most cases. Unless you're getting a last gen Powerbook or something, I'd say a PC laptop would be just fine. Linux...well...I just don't get those /bin, /dev, /etc, /mnt, /usr, /var folders. I tried Linux for a month or so and still don't have the faintest idea what they do. Fluxbuntu is pretty cool, though, and at least I can use the terminal.

omg........ and to think we even used floppies once......... :blink:i really, really, really want a mac, they are soooooooo cool...... but iatkos and kalyway doesn't work on my pc and i can't get a mac for about another 3 years........... :(

omg........ and to think we even used floppies once......... :blink: i really, really, really want a mac, they are soooooooo cool...... but iatkos and kalyway doesn't work on my pc and i can't get a mac for about another 3 years........... :(

I feel your pain. I'm trying to get some actual money so I can buy a decent old Powerbook, even. A G4 aluminum, maybe. But until college (yeah, it's 3 years. I'm a little child ._.) my parents aren't going to finance anything.

Mac recycling is a good thing, though. Some very nice G4s and G5s pop up on ebay and craigslist.

Windows Vista Ultimate x64 = Tower

Windows Vista HomeBasic x86 = Laptop

WIndows CE 5.0 = DreamCast

YellowDog Linux 6.0 = Ps3

sry no room for OSX any were

I must way windows all the way for gaming... and linux for the ps3 becuz u can not install windows out of the box on a ps3...

I'd have to say Mac is the best OS. Simply because Linux is overly complicated and Windows is well...Windows. The best Windows version is Vista. Why? Microsoft is finally starting to head in the right direction. Best OS X is Tiger. Why? Well, it's what started the whole OSX86 community. Good old 10.4.1