ATI FireGL Mobility V3200 WORKING! w/ Instructions

VoRTeX15O

62 posts in this topic

RAAA!

If anyone is looking for a great setup my rig is now complete and working perfectly! No TEARING! NO ARTIFACTS! Tested in OpenGL window apps and DVD Player etc. Fully Stable. I finally got the patch working by just applying it myself using a hex editor. I am using the 10.4.4 version of the ATIRadeon9700.kext file. I have Sapphire Radeon X800 PCIe 256mb. This is non-pro edition. Note I am running the full resolution of my monitor via the com.apple.boot.plist option file. Device ID is 554F Vendor ID is 1002 of course.

Grab a HexEditor from http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17562

If you want to apply the patch yourself open your HEX editor and search for 3D 60 5B 00 00 in the 10.4.4 kext file. This simply means the file at /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext. (Note however it should work on any version of the .kext 10.4.3-5 so don't fret if you don't have the 10.4.4 one!

Be advised that this string occurs in two places. Once you find the two places that this string occurs, replace them with 3D YY XX 00 00 with XX being the first two digits of your Device ID and YY being the second.

So for setup it was as follows: 3D 60 5B 00 00 became 3D 4F 55 00 00.

Now go into the Info.plist file inside your ATIRadeon9700.kext folder and find the 0x5B601002 line and change it with your device ID like this.

For example: 0x5B601002 became 0x554F1002 for my setup. Note that if your card has a different Vendor ID you need to change the 1002 to your Vendor ID as well!

I forgot that you need to now make sure are your permissions are correct! Quickly do a:

chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions

chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions

Now reload your kernel extensions cache

kextcache -k /system/library/extensions

Now try a manual load of your driver before the reboot:

kextload /system/library/extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

Reboot and pray to the gods!

Good luck and everyone keep up the hard work! If anyone wants to know my setup incase you need a 100% working rig. Here goes:

Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz

Gigabyte I945P-Pro Motherboard

Sapphire Radeon X800 PCIe 256mb

3Com 3C905B-TX NIC

NEC ND-3540A DVD Burner

And of course the onboard ICH7 Intel SATA

Now if you were able to reboot and wish to change your resolution do the following!

Goto /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist

right before the closing line, add the following two lines to look similar to the other lines in the file

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>WidthxHeightxColourDepth</string>

So if my setup was 1280x1024 at 32bit colour, I would add:

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

Hope this helps everyone; If anyone sees anything else that is incomplete let me know.

Thanks!

*UPDATE: THIS PATCH ONLY WORKS FOR 10.4.3 / CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION TO 10.4.4 - 4.8

I GOT IT WORKING UNDER 10.4.3 81111g :guitar: ! THANKS GRIFFSTA!!! I finally got Quartz Extreme and CoreImage support! Watching DVDs and running OpenGL games are now possible with this edit. My qtz base screensavers works and I can do RSS screensavers, things are snappier and smooth on graphics. Launching the widget now shows the aqua effect. No changeable resolution yet though but who cares just use "Graphics Mode"="1600x1200x32". wooHoo on this ATIFireGL V3200. GRIFFSTA U ON FIYA! :)

For those still trying to enable support with ATIFireGL V3200 or any other card Vxxxx card, the ATIRadeon9700.kext does all of it as noted elsewhere I forgot, but my card id under the Info.plist in the kext isn't listed - so I had to replace 0x5B601002 with mine 0x31541002.

HexEdit binary in MacOS folder: Editing the Info.plist file previously only tells the ATIRadeon9700.kext to look for my card but it has no binary check on how to do so. Open ATIRadeon9700 with HexEdit. The devID for ATI V3200 is 3154 like Griffsta noted: in my case, XX = 54 and YY = 31 so I used the same address as Griffsta at 3D 60 5B 00 00 replaced it with 3D 31 54 00 00 where values are 3D YY XX 00 00 . MAKE SURE TO BACKUP ORIGINAL incase things go wrong.

After applying the edit, rebooted and system messege displayed driver wasn't installed correctly aka file permission problem, so I ran /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app and repaired my boot drive's file permissions and voila!!! rebooted - no error messeges - QE + CI support!

*note: this driver edit was orignally instructed to be used on 10.4.4 but still works on 10.4.3/very negligible artifact around mouse cursor from time to time after driver edit but it goes away.*

Always on fiya Griffsta and Maxxuss! :blink:

Interesting how this concept works. Sometimes editing plist doesn't work means binary edit is required - for some cards it's vice verse without binary edit.

post-22699-1141501892_thumb.jpg

post-22699-1141501946_thumb.jpg

post-22699-1141501966_thumb.jpg

post-22699-1141501986_thumb.jpg

post-22699-1141508175_thumb.jpg

I GOT IT WORKING UNDER 10.4.3 81111g ;) ! THANKS GRIFFSTA!!! I finally got Quartz Extreme and CoreImage support! Watching DVDs is now possible with this edit. My qtz base screensavers works and I can do RSS screensavers, things are snappier and smooth on graphics. Launching the widget now shows the aqua effect. No changeable resolution yet though but who cares just use "Graphics Mode"="1600x1200x32". wooHoo on this ATIFireGL V3200. GRIFFSTA U ON FIYA! :D

For those still trying to enable support with ATIFireGL V3200 or any other card Vxxxx card, the ATIRadeon9700.kext does all of it as noted elsewhere I forgot, but my card id under the Info.plist in the kext isn't listed - so I had to replace 0x5B601002 with mine 0x31541002.

HexEdit binary in MacOS folder: Editing the Info.plist file previously only tells the ATIRadeon9700.kext to look for my card but it has no binary check on how to do so. Open ATIRadeon9700 with HexEdit. The devID for ATI V3200 is 3154 like Griffsta noted: in my case, XX = 54 and YY = 31 so I used the same address as Griffsta at 3D 60 5B 00 00 replaced it with 3D 31 54 00 00 where values are 3D YY XX 00 00 . MAKE SURE TO BACKUP ORIGINAL incase things go wrong.

After applying the edit, rebooted and system messege displayed driver wasn't installed correctly aka file permission problem, so I ran /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app and repaired my boot drive's file permissions and voila!!! rebooted - no error messeges - QE + CI support!

*note: this driver edit was orignally instructed to be used on 10.4.4 but still works on 10.4.3/very negligible artifact around mouse cursor from time to time after driver edit but it goes away.*

Always on fiya Griffsta and Maxxuss! :)

Interesting how this concept works. Sometimes editing plist doesn't work means binary edit is required. I'm off to seeing if I can get my CompUSA WLAN USB dongle to work since it's got a similar chip as the DWL-122g.

I tried to open with the software mentioned. how do i open that, it would not allow me to open the kext , it says "cannot get to the file"

Doing as u said, it gave me this message at the end.

humphrey-davys-computer:~ root# /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents

bash: /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents: is a directory

humphrey-davys-computer:~ root# cd /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents

humphrey-davys-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root# ls

Info.plist MacOS PkgInfo version.plist

humphrey-davys-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root# nano Info.plist

humphrey-davys-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root# chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions

humphrey-davys-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root# chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions

humphrey-davys-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root# kextcache -k /system/library/extensions

humphrey-davys-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root# kextload /system/library/extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

kextload: cached repository path doesn't match that of repository

kextload: error using cache for /System/Library/Extensions; using repository itself

kextload: /system/library/extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext loaded successfully

humphrey-davys-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root#

i tried the method you post, and did it for ati mobility 9200

using hex to mod 9700 kext will make the machine can't boot up successfully.

so i use -x to safe mood and use the orginal kext

and i tried to convert 8500 kext

yet some may find there is no 3D 60 5B 00 00 inside there

as ati 0x5B60 do not fit this kext

so i tried these instead and find it in the kext

4C51,6C51,664C,6649,6059,6159,635C,6749,6259,6359

and replace 615C

of course each times i just replace one figures

sometimes it works and sometimes it didn't

that"it works" means the system actully load kext during booting

yet it didn't mean anyting

as no QE nor IC works

and more worse is that whatever using opengl, the system will crash.

it shows i may do something wrong and not enough.

1 is kext loaded and 2 do not

wrong memory and pci detected.

post-25811-1141518117_thumb.png

post-25811-1141518233_thumb.png

arthurson have you checked this link:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=10415&st=0

it's where I got my info. Have you checked for another version of kexts?

Another post I saw somewhere noted that all ATI Vxxxx cards require editing ATIRadeon9700.kext . Griffsta's card is a Sapphire Radeon X800 PCIe, my V3200 PCIe is similar to X600 and I am not sure about the others, which shows how the X series Radeons and V series FireGL series are close. I edited the driver spotting somewhere on OSx86 that this should work with ATI's FireGL V Series which ship with some laptops.

FireGL V3100, FireGL V3200, FireGL V5100, FireGL V5000 and FireGL V7100

http://www.ati.com/products/fireglvseries/

http://www.ati.com/products/mobile.html

Doing as u said, it gave me this message at the end.

humphrey-davys-computer:~ root# /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents

bash: /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents: is a directory

humphrey-davys-computer:~ root# cd /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents

humphrey-davys-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root# ls

Info.plist MacOS PkgInfo version.plist

humphrey-davys-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root# nano Info.plist

humphrey-davys-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root# chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions

humphrey-davys-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root# chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions

humphrey-davys-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root# kextcache -k /system/library/extensions

humphrey-davys-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root# kextload /system/library/extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

kextload: cached repository path doesn't match that of repository

kextload: error using cache for /System/Library/Extensions; using repository itself

kextload: /system/library/extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext loaded successfully

humphrey-davys-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root#

The best thing to do is go to the Terminal and su to root

1) 'cd' to /System/Library/Extensions and do a 'cp -rf' to copy to a backup location where you can back up your original ATIRadeon9700.kext .

2) Then do this again except this time 'cp -rf' a copy to your working desktop.

3) 'cd' to your working desktop where your ATIRadeon9700.kext is and 'mv' to rename it to just ATIRadeon9700 w/o the .kext at the end. Now it's a folder.

4) do a 'chmod -R 777 ATIRadeon9700'

5) now you can access and edit the files and after done editing, rename using 'mv' ATIRadeon9700 back to ATIRadeon9700.kext

6) 'mv' to move the edited kext back into your Extensions folder where it's suppose to be over the original copy assuming you've backed up the original somewhere

7) 'rm' to delete Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache

8) run /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app and repair your OSx86 drive's permissions and reboot

Can you explain this please (This simply means the file at /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext.)

When I use the hex editor. I enter striaght into the kext and i see contents, then Info.plist and a macos directory inside that there is a file called Appleradeon9700 or something like. Please tell me what exactly i edit in ATIRadeon9700.kext. The Kext itself or the stuff inside it.

Can you explain this please (This simply means the file at /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext.)

When I use the hex editor. I enter striaght into the kext and i see contents, then Info.plist and a macos directory inside that there is a file called Appleradeon9700 or something like. Please tell me what exactly i edit in ATIRadeon9700.kext. The Kext itself or the stuff inside it.

You hex ATIRadeon9700/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700

do i have to use 9700 kext file for use with 7500, too?

It's probably in 8500 kext ......look for your device ID # in it.....

Also if your card is recognized as PCI in X86 but is AGP, this hint wont work until you get the card loaded/recognized as an AGP card!!!!

I'd like to try this to work for the Radeon 7500, however I believe that I'll have to do the patching on the ATIRadeon.kext, what string should I be searching for in hex editor? HELP!!! It seems a lot people are finally getting their cards to work, its about time lowly 7500 users get some break too!

I'd like to try this to work for the Radeon 7500, however I believe that I'll have to do the patching on the ATIRadeon.kext, what string should I be searching for in hex editor? HELP!!! It seems a lot people are finally getting their cards to work, its about time lowly 7500 users get some break too!

Hi, I've just installed 10.4.4 -> 10.4.5 and it took me some time to get internet working. I had to copy over IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.3 and IOATAFamily.kext so I could mount my external USB drive. Even with the edit I've used with 10.4.3, I still have no OpenGL. When I replace all the ATI kexts from 10.4.3 to 10.4.5 system, I get a black screen. I really don't see a point in upgrading >10.4.3. I'll reconsider once 10.5 releases.

for ATI 7500 you might want to look at this if haven't already:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...pic=11134&st=20

*EDIT: I tried to run xbench on this 10.4.5 and it crashed when it tried to bench my OpenGL. Man am I going back 10.4.3*

I GOT IT WORKING UNDER 10.4.3 81111g :blink: ! THANKS GRIFFSTA!!! I finally got Quartz Extreme and CoreImage support! Watching DVDs and running OpenGL games are now possible with this edit. My qtz base screensavers works and I can do RSS screensavers, things are snappier and smooth on graphics. Launching the widget now shows the aqua effect. No changeable resolution yet though but who cares just use "Graphics Mode"="1600x1200x32". wooHoo on this ATIFireGL V3200. GRIFFSTA U ON FIYA! :thumbsup_anim:

Always on fiya Griffsta and Maxxuss! :gun:

Interesting how this concept works. Sometimes editing plist doesn't work means binary edit is required. I'm off to seeing if I can get my CompUSA WLAN USB dongle to work since it's got a similar chip as the DWL-122g.

Hi, VoRTeX15O

Thanks for the post and I got my CI QE working on my T43p with 1400*1050 resolution.

I have the same ID 3154 too. But should the hack be 3d 54 31 00 00 according to the YYXX rule?

It should be because I got it working only with the "3d 54 31 00 00" replacement.

However, I got severe artifact when I grasp a window and move. Looks like old day television without signal. When I change to "system graphics", it's gone. Did I miss something else? Can anybody make me even happier without the artifact? Thanks.

It's probably in 8500 kext ......look for your device ID # in it.....

Also if your card is recognized as PCI in X86 but is AGP, this hint wont work until you get the card loaded/recognized as an AGP card!!!!

and how do I do that? -- I have been driving myself mad trying to get 1280x1024x32 on 10.4.3 x11111g

-- I have an ATI AIW 9600 Pro AGP that had the correct device/vendor IDs loaded ad I have full CI and QE running but no matter what I do I cannot get it to run as AGP to get to 1280x1024x32 which is the only thing really stopping me from using OSX fulltime.

I would really love some help and not points to other posts as I have read these forums too many times to count to see if I missed a steo etc. or not. The fact I am running as well as I am right now is because I read the forums - but everyone who seems to ask these days always gets the read here, or look here or something - its doubly hard too bec. some fixes are for 10.4.1 and some for 10.4.3, and others still at 10.4.4 and 10.4.5...

and how do I do that? -- I have been driving myself mad trying to get 1280x1024x32 on 10.4.3 x11111g

-- I have an ATI AIW 9600 Pro AGP that had the correct device/vendor IDs loaded ad I have full CI and QE running but no matter what I do I cannot get it to run as AGP to get to 1280x1024x32 which is the only thing really stopping me from using OSX fulltime.

I would really love some help and not points to other posts as I have read these forums too many times to count to see if I missed a steo etc. or not. The fact I am running as well as I am right now is because I read the forums - but everyone who seems to ask these days always gets the read here, or look here or something - its doubly hard too bec. some fixes are for 10.4.1 and some for 10.4.3, and others still at 10.4.4 and 10.4.5...

Have you tried to enter the graphics mode switch at the boot prompt? Does it work for you? If so, search on editing the com.apple.Boot.plist file for making it permanent...

no that does not work ... returns Video Mode Not Supported

Darwin reports VESA2 and the ability to do 1280x1204x32 but the OS does not. It reports only a maximum of 1024x768.

What I am really in need of is a guide to getting my card to be recognized as AGP instead of PCI. I have gone through several walkthroughs already with no luck. I have my vendor and device IDs but no such luck as of yet.

For example - the one fix regarding editing the AppleI386PCI.kext does not exist in 10.4.3 therefore you have to edit the IOPCIFamily.kext with no luck there either.

Now its entirely possible that I edited this file incorrectly. However, I have seen 2 conflicting posts regarding the order of vendor and device IDs in this file.

Also, the editing of the Koverge fix is not possible because the HEX code thats quoted

3D 60 5B 00 00

does not exist in the 10.4.3 version of the Radeon9700.kext file ***UPDATE*** found the keys and changed them but now system wont boot into GUI...

===============================================

Is there anyone out there with an ATI AIW 9600Pro AGP card working fully at 1280x1024x32 with CI and QE ????

FYI the vendor ID = 1002 and the device ID = 4150

The PCI to AGP vendor ID = 8086 and the device ID = 2571

Do I need to provide more information to someone for more help?

Thanks.

This was a popular hack for the PowerMac 9600s with the ATI Radeon 7000's. I have lost the original link to this information and haven't checked osx86 on this yet. I would first attempt to change the video settings so that the computer would first recognize the video card as mainly an AGP than PCI. Chances are OSX already defaults to AGP. I think this is worth noting:

"English: From other forum:

Hey guys,

I discovered another tweak for MACOSX, very interesting stuff, especially

if you own an ATI card, and running on AGP. This is interesting, because

this hack enables Quartz for PCI, too. And most of our Cards are by now

detected as PCI Cards due lack of drivers. afaik. cmiiw.

Hack to Enable Quartz Extreme on Radeon "PCI" Cards

1. Open the terminal

2. type sudo -s to become root

3. type nano /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Configuration.plist

Here you'll find a section that needs changing for PCI card users (again still requires a Radeon card)

<key>GLCompositorRequiredClasses </key>

<array>

<string>IOAGPDevice </string>

</array>

Change IOAGPDevice to IOPCIDevice

OR (thats what I did)

Add a line that it looks like this

<key>GLCompositorRequiredClasses </key>

<array>

<string>IOAGPDevice </string>

<string>IOPCIDevice </string> </array>

4. Save the file.

5. Tell me the results "

Hi, VoRTeX15O

Thanks for the post and I got my CI QE working on my T43p with 1400*1050 resolution.

I have the same ID 3154 too. But should the hack be 3d 54 31 00 00 according to the YYXX rule?

It should be because I got it working only with the "3d 54 31 00 00" replacement.

However, I got severe artifact when I grasp a window and move. Looks like old day television without signal. When I change to "system graphics", it's gone. Did I miss something else? Can anybody make me even happier without the artifact? Thanks.

Do you have the 14" or 15" ThinkPad?

You guys have any advice for me? I have the ATI FireGL V5200 (based on the Mobility X1600). This should be the same as the MBP video card.

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c4

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded