hp Pavilion dv6000 series AMD

..TheOne..

359 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I dont have the AMD dv6000, got the intel one but one thing I had to do for the install on every dist I tried was to force the system to use 1 cpu for the install, once it was up on the real kernel it worked, but the installs always flipped out otherwise.

For the beginner, when your at the bootloader, hit a key to enable you to type commands:

cpus=1

It will run slower since its only using one core, but I've installed leo4all about 10 times on my dv6700 and it worked flawlessly using cpus=1. (if your wondering why so many, I was tinkering with QE/CI =)

Fox

Hi guys,

I dont have the AMD dv6000, got the intel one but one thing I had to do for the install on every dist I tried was to force the system to use 1 cpu for the install, once it was up on the real kernel it worked, but the installs always flipped out otherwise.

For the beginner, when your at the bootloader, hit a key to enable you to type commands:

cpus=1

It will run slower since its only using one core, but I've installed leo4all about 10 times on my dv6700 and it worked flawlessly using cpus=1. (if your wondering why so many, I was tinkering with QE/CI =)

Fox

Thank you for sharing. I have constantly saw this cpus=1 thing around intel based topics and tutorials, but from my experience this is not a problem on AMD machines.

• 1 month later...

Compaq V6205NR

AMD Turion 64 MK-36 2GHz

2GB 667 DDR2 RAM

80GB HDD

Broadcom 4311 Wireless

Nvidia GeForce Go 6150

Conexant HD Audio

Triple boot Vista32, Ubuntu64, Leopard 10.5.2

Used Leo4All V2 and V3 successfully. Did a bare minimum install using NForceTest chipset driver, then installed video card drivers after first boot. At first I had trouble booting because of Firewire problems, so I deleted all IOFirewire kexts and now the computer boots with no problems.

I still don't have any integrated wireless though. I can connect no problem when I use the install DVD. I tried modifying the NetworkInterfaces.plist but after a reboot it would revert to it's previous settings. I had a USB Wireless card laying around so that's what I'm using for now. Also still no sound and the fan runs 100% all the time. If you guys have any ideas on how to fix that it would be much appreciated.

I have found some ACPI-related kext that can make wifi work, or recover it from any failed installation. I'll post this pack here, with the instructions of use included.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------INSTRUCTIONS.rtf

Symptoms:

1) I've got 1024x768 screen resolution and it is impossible to select another one from System Preferences.

2) My wireless card is on and it's recognized by OSX, but when I search available networks, it doesn't find anything.

Solutions:

1) Install included NVDriver.kext, NVidia.kext, NVinjectGo.kext using kext helper. Remove IONDRVSupport.kext from /System/Library/Extensions folder. Reboot and open System Preferences panel. Now you can choose your correct screen resolution.

2) Install included AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleAPIC.kext using kext helper. Reboot. Now you have your shiny Wifi working!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=29687

Compaq V6205NR

AMD Turion 64 MK-36 2GHz

2GB 667 DDR2 RAM

80GB HDD

Broadcom 4311 Wireless

Nvidia GeForce Go 6150

Conexant HD Audio

Triple boot Vista32, Ubuntu64, Leopard 10.5.2

Used Leo4All V2 and V3 successfully. Did a bare minimum install using NForceTest chipset driver, then installed video card drivers after first boot. At first I had trouble booting because of Firewire problems, so I deleted all IOFirewire kexts and now the computer boots with no problems.

I still don't have any integrated wireless though. I can connect no problem when I use the install DVD. I tried modifying the NetworkInterfaces.plist but after a reboot it would revert to it's previous settings. I had a USB Wireless card laying around so that's what I'm using for now. Also still no sound and the fan runs 100% all the time. If you guys have any ideas on how to fix that it would be much appreciated.

Well, it's almost everything right there if you care to read trough...

For wireless use the contents of the package I posted in the comment quoted here.

For audio simply use Azalia kexts.

Read comprehensively and try these solutions. Come back later to let us know the results.

Quick update...

After installing those kexts my wireless works great, but now I'm having problems booting. If I try to boot normally I get an IOKit error "IOKit failed to quiesce". If I boot in safe mode, it boots however I have no keyboard or mouse. The only way I can get it to boot is to have a USB keyboard plugged in. Once it boots, I can unplug the keyboard and everything is fine. Any thoughts? I've tried a couple different PS2Controller kexts and none have worked.

Well, I'm getting all of the aforementioned releases with hopes I can install on my dv6110us with AMD 64. Nothing has worked thus far. Mostly the system hangs at root device or some such thing.

Has anyone had any luck with this particular notebook / laptop? If so, please post detailed procedures.

Thank goodness I have a great setup on my Dell 530.

Hey Annunaki, what are your specs? Mainly chipset, GPU, and wifi card. I've used both Leo4All V2 and V3 with great success.

Well, I know it is an HP DV6110us

1.6 GHz AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-50

1024MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA)

The rest of the specs are here:

DV6110us Specs

I don't know the exact specs as of yet, but I will get them.

---

UPDATE

LEO4ALL V2 has recognized my hard drive and is now installing on a second partition! I'll let you know how it goes.

@all:

I'm glad to see that my topic has came back to life, it started quite well, then replys stopped suddenly, but now this is getting better. Thanks to all of you. Stay around to continue helping each other!

@ka24altima:

Since I noticed that you have a triple boot with Vista and Ubuntu, I'd like to ask you a somehow out-of-topic question:

On Vista, my internet connection gets broken all the time... it doesn't matter if I'm connected via wifi or ethernet, it's always the same. And when it happens, I can get it back only by manually disconnecting from the network and then reconnecting.

I've noticed that this connection losses happens after less than a minute with no transfers (no uploads/downloads, no web browsing). Also, I've noticed that if I start downloading anything big, connection stays alive until it finishes.

Have you ever got this kind of behavior? If true, then have you fixed it? How did you do it? If you don't have this problem... tell me, do you have Windows Updates activated? Do you have Vista SP1 intalled?

Thanks a lot.

DV6110us LEO4ALL V2 update...

Bad news. I partitioned 20GB of my hard drive to Fat32 and proceeded to load LEO on it after formatting the partition with Mac OS Ext (journaled) using Disk Utility. After install, it had to reboot. I fully expected the system to boot back to XP as I had not specified anything different for boot. However, when the machine rebooted, I got the dreaded "Operating system not found" error. I booted with an XP cd and proceeded to use fixboot c: and fixmbr. This did not work. So, I'm going to load an Ubuntu Live CD and retrieve all the files I need from XP and wipe the whole dang thing and start over. This time I'm going to format the whole drive for use with LEO.

I think I was supposed to do something special with the boot or MBR...there was a guide to partitioning somewhere, or something, but my excitement and impatience got a hold of me too tightly. My wife has already chastised me for not backing up her files properly before diving in head first.

Anyway, wish me luck!

why don't you try using a gparted live cd and set the leopard partition as active boot and see if darwin loads! i would try that before waxing a whole hard drive and starting from scratch!

Because I think I fsck'd the OS X partition boot sector when I first typed in fixboot. The dialogue said something like target drive e: and I said "go". I pulled the trigger too fast. Anyway, when I loaded Ubuntu, the 20G drive showed nothing but trash files by this point. All of the important files have been copied onto a 1G usb drive now so there's nothing left to lose. I don't care if I wipe XP at this point. Heck, this is kinda fun toying around. If I install Mac and all attempts fail miserably, I can just wipe the drive again and load crappy XP and restore the wifey's files.

Oh, dang. Just realised one of the missus' requests that can't be fixed. She asked me to back up her "MediaMan" files that catalogs her book library. That proggie is WinSux only. Oh well. I'll load it again myself in Delicious Library 2 if the Mac setup works :( .

She likes that program the best anyway.

This is kinda funny/interesting. I seem to have the best results getting this thing to load when I have a usb mouse attached to the lappy when loading LEO. When I do that, the mouse is recognized and the trackpad works. If I don't, it seems that the trackpad does not work and connecting a mouse at that point does not benefit.

Anyway, the install works best so far like this...

Attach usb mouse.

Boot lappy with LEO and hit ESC at boot and Enter to boot CD.

Hit Enter key as soon as possible after install is recognized to ensure full boot to install GUI.

Select Disk Utility to format target drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Let the install process do its thing and have a smoke.

Sometimes the install hangs which I attribute to the weird laptop NVIDIA SATA thang. Whatever though. The folks who put this distro out ROCK! I'm further along than I have ever been. If this works, my wife, or I will be the envy at the local coffee shop. People will say..."dude, is that a Dell? Your desktop theme is kickin'! It looks like a Mac or something.

---

So...Anywho...ain't it funny...HP laptop designed for XP/Vista with an AMD processor, files recovered by Ubuntu, getting ready to be formatted to run Mac OS X Hackintosh, designed originally to be run on an Intel processor. And this forum post was made possible by using a dual screen Dell-Intosh 530 w/mac keyboard running OS X 10.5.4. Whoa-hoa!!! What a strange alternate reality-type world. Not only that, but it is possible to set the lappy up as a dual, triple, quad or more boot system to many other OS's!! Praises be to the folks that make the impossible...well, er...possible!!!

---

5 minutes (read country minutes) to go before install complete on the "waxed" drive...

3 minutes...

More to come...

Rebooting after install.

Eject DVD.

Crazy scrolling text stuff.

Even more now ludicrous scrolling {censored}.

Stop.

Waiting for root device.

Heffel I know...

Still trying a zillion different methods just to get it to the "Big Gray Apple".

So far it's just a bunch of text like "still waiting for root device" and such.

Each method I choose brings up a different list of text, but the result is the same..."still waiting..." AHH {censored}!!!

If I don't touch anything, the system says it's missing some .plist thingy. Where's the magic elixer?

Who has gotten further than this...really. And how??

Starting over with wireless turned off...

Blah, blah, blah...

Now I feel like a moron. ;)

For some stupid reason I did not see the "Customize" button during install. I should know better as I have installed OS X on many other machines. Dur-da-dur.

So, I'm trying a couple of options during install. I selected NForce Test for one. I don't know which audio to select so I checked most of them for now. The AMD fix is checked. And the Geforce Go is checked.

Let's see what happens now...

SUCCESS!!!

Though not perfect, it is the first time OS X has been successfully installed. I am typing this from the laptop over a wireless connection.

Wireless works!

Keyboard works!

Trackpad works!

2 outstanding issues for now...

no sound.

graphics suck at 1024x768. The colors are a bit washed out...and it is certainly not showing "millions" of colors. Gradients look like the settings are more like thousands of colors.

Anyway...it's a far cry from nothing!

Thanks to those who have helped. Special thanks to those who put these disks and patches together!

So now the issues are starting to present themselves.

The keyboard, trackpad, mouse and network card work in a hit-or-miss fashion each time the laptop is rebooted.

It always hangs for about 5 minutes during boot saying "waiting for IOKit to quiesce".

Sometimes it all works, sometimes part of it, sometimes just the desktop shows.

I loaded the GEForce Go kext from NVInject, cleaned out the old kexts, repaired permissions, but still have the same crappy 1024x768 screen.

And still no audio.

I'll keep at it tho.

The IOKit error is usually caused by Firewire kexts. If you can live without Firewire or your laptop doesn't even have it, delete all the IOFirewire kexts, there's 5 of them I think, do a permissions repair or two just to be safe, and see if that helps. If not, try booting into single user mode with a USB keyboard plugged in, just type exit when the prompt comes up. That's what I have to do since my PS2 controller won't start on boot because of the kexts I installed to get wireless to work.