hp Pavilion dv6000 series AMD

..TheOne..

359 posts in this topic

Hello to everybody!

Since the old Tiger dv6000 & dv9000 thread is almost dead months ago, and there is a "intel only" thread for this series, I decided to start a new one where we can find answers to our questions and easy directions and help to get Leopard running on our AMD hp Pavilions.

Let me tell you that for what I've seen there are also some hp tx1000, tx2000 and dv9000 series with almost the same components, so they're all welcome to help & ask.

My Specs:

hp Pavilion dv6420la

AMD Turion 64 x2 TL 56

1 GB RAM

NVIDIA Geforce Go 6150 Graphics

Broadcom Wireless 4312

Microdia Webcam

Ricoh 5on1 media card reader

160 GB hard drive

Right now this is what I have:

Installed iso: Leo4allv3 (almost same results with Leopard_AMD_EFI_r2)

Install methode: Dual boot (Leopard 10.5.2 & Ubuntu 8.02) to internal drive.

Working:

Keyboard & Touchpad working ok.

Native 1280x800x32 screen resolution. (Using kexts from attachment, follow instructions)

Webcam working out of the box.

Audio working out of the box. (Using Azalia audio drivers from installer)

USB ports working out of the box.

DVD+RW working out of the box.

Not working:

QE/CI (We really need to develope an open driver for GeForce Go 6150)

WiFi (Detected but it's not finding any network, oddly, it found and connected to networks

during installation process) Actually working now, see the edit.

Ethernet (Detected and it also makes my modem go active... but can't connect to the internet)

So, welcome and be free to share your experiences!

Edit (8/8/08):

Solution for making WiFi and screen resolution work (dv6420la file attached)

I have found some ACPI-related kext that can make wifi work, or recover it from any failed installation. I'll post this package here, with the instructions of use included.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------INSTRUCTIONS.rtf

Symptoms:

1) I've got 1024x768 screen resolution and it is impossible to select another one from System Preferences.

2) My wireless card is on and it's recognized by OSX, but when I search available networks, it doesn't find anything.

Solutions:

1) Install included NVDriver.kext, NVidia.kext, NVinjectGo.kext using kext helper. Remove IONDRVSupport.kext from /System/Library/Extensions folder. Reboot and open System Preferences panel. Now you can choose your correct screen resolution.

2) Install included AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleAPIC.kext using kext helper. Reboot. Now you have your shiny Wifi working!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dv6000resolutionfix.zip

dv6420laPack.zip

can i ask how you got through the sata hard drive issues with your install? i too have an nvidia chipset and none of the install dvd's can see my hard drive. i understand our chipsets are a little different but you still should have had the same issue that i currently have! any help with this would be greatly appreciated! how are your hard drive access speeds?

Amen. LOL

I, too am having difficulties with every version of OS X I have tried in getting my hard drive to load. Sometimes it won't even get past the POST screen. I am getting frustrated and am about to go buy a new laptop if I can't get this to work. BTW, my hardware is:

HP/Compaq v6719nr

AMD Athlon (not Turion) 64 X2 TK-57 @ 1.9GHz

2Gb Kingston DDR2 667

160Gb SATA (i believe it's a toshiba, not sure) HDD

nVidia nForce 630m/GeForce 7150m

Pioneer 20x Super Multi Drive

I picked up this box hoping that it would serve as a Hackbook, but my efforts have been to no avail thus far. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi everyone!

Thanks congratulations for joining this newly created thread.

You're absolutly right...

I started this project like a year ago, and at that time I had that nasty issue.

Non of the isos i got could see my internal sata drive. I only managed to install OSX

to an external hard drive (into my 20 GB iPod actually :D ).

So, here's the deal:

It's pretty sure that the isos you've used had old MeDevil Nforce chipset driver (Nforce4 or lower).

So, installation didn't see SATA drives.

Newer isos have MeDevil NForce5 driver, so they are useful.

You need to get:

Leo4allv3

or

Zephyroth Leopard_AMD_EFI_r2

Good luck!

i have both and neither of them see my sata hd! so i guess it comes down to getting the correct nforce kext for the mcp67 chipset and injecting it into the leopard iso. so far there isn't one!

i have both and neither of them see my sata hd! so i guess it comes down to getting the correct nforce kext for the mcp67 chipset and injecting it into the leopard iso. so far there isn't one!

What are your specs?

Its always good to remember that when you first get into the installation process and you are asked to select a drive, there will be no drives showed.

You need to go to disk utility (from your menu bar) and format a partition to Mac OS X Journaled. After thath, quit disk utility and it will be showed as an option to install OSX.

i am not new to this, my specs are in my signature, i did have a sony viao (intel based) running 10.5.2. now i have this one and it's a whole other ball game now. maybe i should have stuck with the intel chipset! i just can't stand the video cards! most of them suck ass

i did got mine working as well, but the problems i encountered from time to time made me quite mad, mouse and keyboard is like a lottery - which i think most of the problem are due to the incompatibilty of the board and the software hackintosh driver running it, so i delete it, although i never had any problem installing though.

i have a sata hdd and ide dvd drive - miracles do happens sometimes

BAD

ethernet never worked -kept saying self assign IP

usb - i have to intall manually most times

wifi connect but still no internet

audio working but output

no card reader

GOOD

GRAPHICS - just brilliant

remote control working

bluetooth working

screen brightness control

both cores detected

firewire working

i am waiting for kalyway 10.5.3 anyways

Well, I made a clean install using Leo4allv2, and this time, I've got wifi working perfectly.

Now, the only thing missing is enabling QE/CI, altought I have not tested card reader, firewire port, video outs, and modem.

The ir remote works too.

Currently I don't have power management installed but I'll try soon.

I have Zephyroth 10.5.2 rev. 1 installed but I can only get it to boot externally from usb. Although I have previously had it boot internally but it won't anymore, I don't get why it can't anymore. When trying to boot internally after install i get "still waiting for root device" but when booting from usb the install is fine. Normally i wouldnt mind but booting externally makes it so i lose access to my dvd drive and usb transfer rates really slow things down. any ideas?

i have hp pavilion dv5000

Zephyroth 10.5.2

ProcessorAMD Turion 64 2.2 GHzData

bus speed200 MHz

RAM

2GB

VIDEO

ATI Radeon Xpress 200

120 GB ATA hard drive

@norcalrivercat:

Well, as your laptop has ATI graphics instead of the usual NVIDIA geforce go 6150, I think it may be slightly different than dv6000 AMD series...

So tell us, what chipset do you have? Is it the same nForce chipset?

Otherwise you may get different results cause you need a driver for your specific chipset in order to get sata internal drives working as they should.

Also, it may be useful to know what kind of install you made. Is it a single boot? Double? What operating systems?

@all:

Well, I've just confirmed something I suspected yesterday:

On hp Pavilion dv6420la you will get Wifi working by installing trough Leo4allv2.

Once you do this, if you install PowerManagement.bundle to get the battery icon on the menu bar, you loose your Wifi, and you loose keyboard and touchpad, so DON'T INSTALL PowerManagement.bundle

theone it is quite an achievement to get that thing working on your system, if only you can share your technique, mine is a dv6152eu - broadcom wireless

what kext did you use - forcedeth?

@norcalrivercat:

Yes, I'm talking about the motherboard.

@ricki:

Ok, I'll tell you:

It's pretty simple anyway:

*Get Leo4allv2 DVD

*Boot with it in. (I didn't need to select verbose mode neither that pressing power button for a second, just let it boot all alone)

*At installation, format your partition to Mac OS X Journaled with disk utility.

*Select customize option.

*From the list select only:

--languages you need

--Nforce test driver (for the motherboard & internal SATA drive support)

--Azalia audio (optional, for me it didn`t work until I reinstalled it via kexthelper once I had a working install)

--Forcedeth-v driver (for ethernet LAN... it didn't work for me but it was one of the thing selecteed)

--AMD patch

*Don't select any graphics driver or you may get a kernel panic.

And that's it, after 30 minutes my installation was done, I rebooted, filled OSX setup assistant.

I had no sound (fixed installing azalia audio kext)

I had 1024x768 resolution (fixed to 1280x800 with the package I attached on my first post)

I had Wifi recognized and working, it found and connected to my network.

I had no battery icon on menu bar, but DON'T instal powermanagement.bundle or wifi, keyboard and touchpad will stop working.

So thats a little guide to get my results.

maybe you guys can help me in this thread

I have a dv6700 -- dv6815nr

Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60

Motherborad: Quanta 30CF

HD: 160GB SATA

I have tried :

Kalhaway: it boots but when I go to 'disk uility' I cant see the HD... it only shows the DVD driver

Leo4allv2: does not boot -- it hangs, then press enter and show 'waiting for root device' and then frezees there

Leo4allv3: same as v2

any ideas what can I do?

thx

maybe you guys can help me in this thread

I have a dv6700 -- dv6815nr

Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60

Motherborad: Quanta 30CF

HD: 160GB SATA

I have tried :

Kalhaway: it boots but when I go to 'disk uility' I cant see the HD... it only shows the DVD driver

Leo4allv2: does not boot -- it hangs, then press enter and show 'waiting for root device' and then frezees there

Leo4allv3: same as v2

any ideas what can I do?

thx

Even if your bios setup has CD/DVD as first booting option, it may be needed that when you power up the laptop you press ESC to select to boot from DVD, then when Darwin starts, press F8 and type -v and then enter.

This way you should be able to boot into leopard installation from Leo4allv2 or Leo4allv3.

Tell us how it all goes.

well actually the dvd boot... but I meant it will erroing/panic It wont load the gui installation process like kalhaway dvd does...

the leo4all dvd will just hang 'still wating for root' :)

thx for answering

edit: I have tried iAtakos and is the same as leo4allv2/3 -- it boots darwing but it hangs after the touchpad driver is loaded...

question tho, how long does it take to load leo4all dvd? I waited like 3 minutes and the keyboard was totally unresponsive :)

well actually the dvd boot... but I meant it will erroing/panic It wont load the gui installation process like kalhaway dvd does...

the leo4all dvd will just hang 'still wating for root' :guitar:

thx for answering

edit: I have tried iAtakos and is the same as leo4allv2/3 -- it boots darwing but it hangs after the touchpad driver is loaded...

question tho, how long does it take to load leo4all dvd? I waited like 3 minutes and the keyboard was totally unresponsive :guitar:

Well maybe that's the problem.

Actually from my experience with Leo4allv2 and v3, it takes like 4-6 minutes to actually start the install GUI.

I've also noticed that most of the time if you press any key or touch the trackpad (after typing "-v" and pressing enter on Darwin) while you wait it to boot, this causes an error loading PS2 kext wich is the one that enables keyboard, and then it doesn't boot, getting stucked/looping after some time on "Still waiting for root device" or "SATA found 0 drives".

Try this, follow the usual process and then don't press any key for a while. After you see that your wifi led turns from orange to pink (I now, it should be orange or blue, but on OSX it gets pink... both colors combined I guess), wait like one minute more and tthen if everything goes fine, the Caps lock key will be responsive as well as the trackpad lock button.

If you manage to get to this point, surely it will boot.

Well maybe that's the problem.

Actually from my experience with Leo4allv2 and v3, it takes like 4-6 minutes to actually start the install GUI.

I've also noticed that most of the time if you press any key or touch the trackpad (after typing "-v" and pressing enter on Darwin) while you wait it to boot, this causes an error loading PS2 kext wich is the one that enables keyboard, and then it doesn't boot, getting stucked/looping after some time on "Still waiting for root device" or "SATA found 0 drives".

Try this, follow the usual process and then don't press any key for a while. After you see that your wifi led turns from orange to pink (I now, it should be orange or blue, but on OSX it gets pink... both colors combined I guess), wait like one minute more and tthen if everything goes fine, the Caps lock key will be responsive as well as the trackpad lock button.

If you manage to get to this point, surely it will boot.

Okas thx but I got the same result.... this is what I did:

1. boot from DVD

2. press F8 and then -v [enter]

3. let it there for 10 minutes and nothing

I noticed thos that the drivers for the atheros card is not being loaded and thats where it stays (however, in the kalhaway disc it does not either load the atheros driver but I can see the GUI installation)

I took some pics of my screen... pls see http://files.taytax.org/osx86/ -- thats where it stays and you can actually hear when the DVD drive stops spinning :)

thx for you help btw

Okas thx but I got the same result.... this is what I did:

1. boot from DVD

2. press F8 and then -v [enter]

3. let it there for 10 minutes and nothing

I noticed thos that the drivers for the atheros card is not being loaded and thats where it stays (however, in the kalhaway disc it does not either load the atheros driver but I can see the GUI installation)

I took some pics of my screen... pls see http://files.taytax.org/osx86/ -- thats where it stays and you can actually hear when the DVD drive stops spinning ;)

thx for you help btw

All right so, try booting in safe mode. At Darwin press F8 but this time press -v -x parms.

That should prevent unnecesary drivers from loading, so it may not get stucked at that.

I have found some ACPI-related kext that can make wifi work, or recover it from any failed installation. I'll post this pack here, with the instructions of use included.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------INSTRUCTIONS.rtf

Symptoms:

1) I've got 1024x768 screen resolution and it is impossible to select another one from System Preferences.

2) My wireless card is on and it's recognized by OSX, but when I search available networks, it doesn't find anything.

Solutions:

1) Install included NVDriver.kext, NVidia.kext, NVinjectGo.kext using kext helper. Remove IONDRVSupport.kext from /System/Library/Extensions folder. Reboot and open System Preferences panel. Now you can choose your correct screen resolution.

2) Install included AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleAPIC.kext using kext helper. Reboot. Now you have your shiny Wifi working!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=29687

All right so, try booting in safe mode. At Darwin press F8 but this time press -v -x parms.

That should prevent unnecesary drivers from loading, so it may not get stucked at that.

thx man... but that did not work either... same result <_<... I think osx86 is not for my HW yet :) -- I'll keep trying tho

thx again

Quick and Dirty Guide: (For installing OSX onto an HP Pavilion dv2710us AMD Turion X2 laptop notebook.)

Use Kalyway 10.5.2 Intel/AMD EFIV8 DVD.iso. It's the only one that boots on the HP dv2710us notebook for me.

1. Partition the HD using the disk utility. Use HFS Journaled.

2. Close the Disk utility and continue onto the installer. Choose the disk/partition to install to and then make sure you

choose "Options" and select the items to install.

Choose all the AMD kernels, no graphics, no audio, no lan, etc.

Choose only the AMD test 2 patch and -legacy switches. Then install

Once complete and it reboots do this: (Post Install Stuff)

1. Hit F8

2. Type speedstepkernel -v -x -s and hit enter.

- type "/sbin/fsck -fy" and then press enter

- type "/sbin/mount -uw /" and then press enter

- type "passwd root ##" and press enter

- you will know be prompted to put in your password twice. Do so and press enter.

- type "touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone and press enter

- type "exit" and press enter. you will now be booted into Leopard.

Once at the login screen, type "root" for username and the password you set for the password. Congratulations. You are now in

Leopard.

Full Explanation Version of the Guide:

Hi Guys,

Here's my guide (progress so far) in installing OSX 10.5.2 onto my HP Pavilion dv2710us AMD Turion x2 laptop notebook:

So far only Kalyway 10.5.2 Intel_AMD (sse2/sse3) EFI V8 .iso boots for me all the way into the installation GUI and can

actually succeed at installing OSX onto this laptop. Other distro's can't.

I tried Leo4All V3, Zephyroth 10.5.2 EFI R2, and even the "Kalyway Format & Make Bootable HD for Leopard" disks and had no

luck. Leo4allv3 & Zephryoth R2 don't boot all the way into the installation GUI and just sit there saying they are not able to

find the boot disk. The make bootable DVD does boot but the disk utility is all greyed out and unusable for the ext hd.

Some key points:

1. Even the Kalyway EFI V8 iso still isn't seeing my internal SATA HD. Dunno why! Help! I'm still scouring the forums for

answers to this. If you know, please point me in the right direction.

2. Because of the above, I'm installing onto an external USB2.0 HD.

3. Once installed I have to boot using the speedstep kernel. The mach kernel and the modbinkernel don't seem to boot into the

OS. I use these options: speedstepkernel -v -x to boot into the os once I do the post install steps listed above in the quick guide.

4. I have to use the F8, then -v -x option when booting the iso. Othewise I can't get the GUI installer to load. This loads

the mach_kernel to do the install. But I boot later with the speedstep kernel.

5. When dsmos: Starting... appears be patient. It'll load in a few minutes. (5-10 minutes.)

"Customize" Button:

Here's what I'm choosing:

1. Additional fonts: Checked.

2. Language Translations: only Japanese. Choose what you want.

3. Kernels: Since this is an AMD laptop, I'm choosing the only three AMD kernels: kernel_9.2_sleep, kernel_9.2_speedstep, and

kernel_9.2.2_modin (modbin kernel 32 bit). I have only been able to get the laptop to boot so far with the speedstep kernel.

YMMV. Let me know your results.

4. Graphics_Drivers: So far I'm not loading this during install. Without loading it, I get 1024x768x32 with no graphics

accelleration once booted into the OS. I need to read about how to find and install the correct .kext for the GeForce Go

7150M chip. If you can direct me, please do. I want to figure out how to do this manually after a bare install. I'm very

interested. I will be testing more installs and checking if any from the auto installer work, but will have to post results

later.

5. Audio_Drivers: I unchecked all and was able to get the OS to boot bare. But need to do further testing to see if any of

these work. This laptop has a Conexant HD 221 audio chip. If anyone knows... please tell me the .kext to use and how. Thanks.

I've heard the Azalia works, so am going to try that next.

6. Network_Drivers

Networks_Cards: Not sure yet. Leaving blank for now.

Wifi_Cards: Not sure yet. Leaving blank for now. Anyone know if I can just load all these and see if it picks up one?

I'm leaving unchecked so they don't hang the bootup process until I can narrow them down and see what's hanging.

7. Mobo_Chipsets: It says I should "keep all select!". heh. So I am... I guess it grabs the correct one?

8. Thirds_Applications: (third party applications). I'm choosing all so they're there if I need them. No idea how to use any

of them yet.

9. SSE3_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC: Not sure if I even need this or what it fixes. Leaving unchecked for now.

10. Patches:

Hardcoded_SMBIOS: Not sure which one to choose. The Lastnetkassmbios is "recommended" in the installer. I left this

blank on the first bare install and the OS booted. So am wondering what benefit it gives me, which ones work, which ones work

best, and will they hang the OS? No idea. Anyone?

11. AMD_1052_Patches: I chose the AMD_1052_Patch_test_2 and it booted fine. Don't know if _1 would be better, worse, or not

work at all. Will have to test later. I did use the boot_with_legacy_flag checked on the bare install. It says "most AMD CPUs

will not boot properly without this flag". I checked it on the bare install and booted, so I guess that's good. But I'm

wondering what I'm losing, and if it'll work without it. All needing to be tested... takes time... sigh.

Interested in all help, input, etc. you can provide.

Need to find correct .kexts for this laptop and procedures on how to install them manually. Please post on any details above you know and can answer. It'll help me and everyone else behind us looking for these answers too.

Rational