Lack of 'Mac' - wwdc to bring os X 10.6 to PC?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Neilis

Neilis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
It's unlikely, but not impossible.

It's pretty obvious that Apple has been downplaying their mainstream computers more and more recently. They are focusing quite heavily on selling music players, cell phones, and set top boxes. That and of course the iTunes store. As their attention to their computer side of the business becomes less and less, they may just decide that having OS X on regular PC's will drive the sales of their other devices high enough that it justifies loosing sales on some of their own computers.

Besides Apple is just about to that point of public recognition where if Dell had an Apple OS option shown on their purchase screen, a LOT of people would quite likely opt for that. Afterall, iPod and iPhone are all the rage, so why not get Apple's OS on my new computer?

At least this is a better fate than what I kinda see Apple ultimately doing, which is that they will eventually just discontinue their mainstream computer product lines altogether, and focus solely on their music/mobile products.

While we're at wishlists, I would LOVE to see an official iTunes port for Linux (which is where I see MOST general purpose desktops going within the next 20 years anyways).

metalmaniac

metalmaniac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I dunno, I mean you could argue either way from the same facts.
You could say that itunes hasnt been released on Linux, to draw more Tuxheads to Mac, as it is essentially prettyBSD. (not too hard too switch)
You could argue that OS X is being downplayed because theyre now betting so much of thier technology on next generation technology.
Windows 7 and multi-touch os x are obviously already realities. Maybe Snow Leopard is interim. After this line of products has been used up, maybe we'll see tablet touch screens all over the place. (Apple are Hardware after all)
Maybe theyre not caring about OSX86 as its free avertising. Since Intel Mac OS X sales have gone way up for mac.
Maybe they're lacking branding because macintosh has its entire history behind it.
If they refer to new macs and say oh its got OS X Leopard, and look heres OS iPhone. People will forget the Mac label. Maybe its a fresh start.
Maybe its so that the iPhone and the mac product lines can be seen as equivalent. I mean we'll not know for a while.
Will apple let mac run on PC's. Doubt it.
Without Mac, there'd be no Mac philosophy, and no iPhone, no Apple TV.
To me its like saying will Apple let iPhone 2.0 OS run on any mobile.

Juts my opinion.

metalmaniac

metalmaniac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Heres a great article

http://www.roughlydr...leopard-7-free/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy