Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

Got a PM from Mysticus C with the link promptly and thank you very much.

Installed the 10.5.3 update and the installation went fine.

But upon reboot, I have this infamous "still waiting for a root device" error. :)

Normally, I've had this error when installing some OSX86 versions.

For example, I had this error when I tried to install IATKOS V4. I've searched the

forum but could not find the answer for my system.

So I decided to go with Kalyway 10.5.2 which was installed without any problem.

So, I am puzzled why all of a sudden I have this error after the update.

Since I have time machine backup, I decided to restore the previous system from

the backup. Restore went fine. But this time I have "Chain Booting Error" upon

selecting OSX86 from dual boot(with Vista 64). Ahh... :(

I am using different HD for leopard and Acronis shows the HD is both Active and Primary,

which is the same setting before the update.

I am having no problem booting Vista though.

My system.

Dell XPS 630

Q6600 quadcore OC'ed to 3.22 GHZ( works only with CPUS=1)

Nforce 680 mobo

PATA DVD drive(replaced SATA DVD because it was causing install problem)

4 SATA hard drives

Dual Nvidia 8800 GT 512MB in SLI mode(works with 9f9installer.pkg but only one card is used)

Nforce ethernet( worked partially, bought cheap PCI ethernet card and worked like charm)

I can suggest you to make a full clean, partitioning, and read the brick free integration guide in the first post...

also make sure, read my nforce topic's first and second posts so that you understand the cautions regarding what works and what not, what alternatives and what you should consider...

i can recommend to use kalyway 10.5.2 for main system, but you can also use Jas 10.5.4 if you dont wanna have update hassle... (if you want to use Jas, you will need my ppf patch for it, to be able to boot from the Jas DVD, because DVD is missing nforce driver from boot... you can grab the ppf from nforce topic, from the page before last page...)

all the problem you mention, stating that you already messed up some stuffs in one of the processes... i cant tell which... Start completely clean and fresh, wipe entire hdd, and make new partition... follow the guide in post 1 here

Thanks for your suggestions Misticus C.

However, when I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 in the first place, I had already

done 1 clean partition on the HD since the HD is not shared with Vista 64.

Any idea why I would get "still waiting for a boot device" error after the update ?

And why I would get "chain booting error" after Time Machine Restore ?

When I searched this forum, I found many people having this "chain booting error" after

Time Machine restore just like me. I am beginning to wonder if there is a issue with Time Machine(in OSX86) itself. Anyone successfully restore from Time Machine without a hitch here ??

Finally, it seems like any small mistake or wrong update(or maybe update with wrong install options?) will cost you with full re-installation. I've already spent a lot of time installing Leopard, different kexts, drivers and many Mac programs - all this many many times with many many other versions. You name the version, I've tried them all. IATKOS ver 1,2,3, Kalyway, Jas, Leo4all all versions. There is none that can work perfectly with my system. Is it the DELL system that is really cursed ? :D

It's really frustrating to start all over again after spending so much time and effort already. I am sure I am not alone with this and many people have gone through the same thing. I know this OSX86 thing is suppsed to be an experiment, and I really admire the work that has been put into this thing by smart people like Mysticus C. But I am beginning to think that this OSX86 has too many rough spots around the edges and this "experiment" is just costing too much time and effort for me. Just look at the sheer volume of posts on this forum by people crying for help. I mean, installing an OS should be a breeze like installing Windows - all devices should be recognized instantly... joke. :D But again, maybe it's my damn DELL Nforce system that is causing all this problem, who knows, as there seem to be many people who claim everything worked right out of the box. I want to know what religion they believe in. I will switch my god. :D

Well, I am not complaining here. Just my two cents. It's been really fun to have seen Leopard work on my PC, with limited capabilities though. I think I am going back to my old reliable Vista(yikes!). Next time I want to meddle with Mac, I will just go out and buy the damn Mac from Apple. Unless some smart people like Mysticus C can release a real stable version... Thank you all.

Thanks for your suggestions Misticus C.

However, when I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 in the first place, I had already

done 1 clean partition on the HD since the HD is not shared with Vista 64.

Any idea why I would get "still waiting for a boot device" error after the update ?

And why I would get "chain booting error" after Time Machine Restore ?

When I searched this forum, I found many people having this "chain booting error" after

Time Machine restore just like me. I am beginning to wonder if there is a issue with Time Machine(in OSX86) itself. Anyone successfully restore from Time Machine without a hitch here ??

Finally, it seems like any small mistake or wrong update(or maybe update with wrong install options?) will cost you with full re-installation. I've already spent a lot of time installing Leopard, different kexts, drivers and many Mac programs - all this many many times with many many other versions. You name the version, I've tried them all. IATKOS ver 1,2,3, Kalyway, Jas, Leo4all all versions. There is none that can work perfectly with my system. Is it the DELL system that is really cursed ? :)

It's really frustrating to start all over again after spending so much time and effort already. I am sure I am not alone with this and many people have gone through the same thing. I know this OSX86 thing is suppsed to be an experiment, and I really admire the work that has been put into this thing by smart people like Mysticus C. But I am beginning to think that this OSX86 has too many rough spots around the edges and this "experiment" is just costing too much time and effort for me. Just look at the sheer volume of posts on this forum by people crying for help. I mean, installing an OS should be a breeze like installing Windows - all devices should be recognized instantly... joke. :) But again, maybe it's my damn DELL Nforce system that is causing all this problem, who knows, as there seem to be many people who claim everything worked right out of the box. I want to know what religion they believe in. I will switch my god. :)

Well, I am not complaining here. Just my two cents. It's been really fun to have seen Leopard work on my PC, with limited capabilities though. I think I am going back to my old reliable Vista(yikes!). Next time I want to meddle with Mac, I will just go out and buy the damn Mac from Apple. Unless some smart people like Mysticus C can release a real stable version... Thank you all.

Hmm.. my last post looks funny with duplicate message. Yeah.. it's got to be the damn DELL. :)

Night Ocean:

You have done my update? and it caused still waiting for root device error? This is a case with jmicron controllers, if you have an jmicron controller on your mobo and your osx hdd is on the jmicron controller... If it is on the nforce controller, there should not be a problem at all, as nforce is not original apple driver, and it is not updated with my update package or by any update package...

Chain booting error is most likely due to restoring full hdd... usualy wipes out the bootloader... but i ve not heard from other people using timemachine they got that error (chain error leads to bootloader issue)

I understand your frustration, but it is a learning curve... Just listen to what I said in previous post... regarding the brick free system...

Just use 1 full hdd for your osx, that way you can be sure to not brick both osx and vista at the same time... when things gone wrong...

If you follow my guide proparly and understand what you are doing, you will never brick the system again...

start clean/fresh (trust me on that)

+ start your dvd

+ dont go to install window, just to go utilities/disk utility

+ make appropriate partitioning, (read post#1 for partitioning guidance about MAIN system and TEST system)

+ once partitioning is done, continue to install/customize

and once install finished, make sure everything is working before you do the cloning!

+ (read post#1 for details) you should have now at least two partitions min, 1) MAIN 2) TEST (3.4.5... is up to you)

+ use disk utility/ restore function

+ drag n drop MAIN to Source ---- and TEST to Target/Destionation path ---- uncheck erase option if it is selected (if erase option is selected partition name will also be written, which will confuse you later, meaning you will have two MAIN named partition, to avoid this, always do erasing seperately! before going to Restore function)

+ finaly restore will be finished...

+ from now on, always use F8 to select/switch between your Main and Test partitions...

Caution: Always make your cloning (restore) from Main to Test... and not from Test to Main... The reason for this is that you have a bootloader in MAIN partition, and it can boot other partitions, but if you restore on top of a bootable partition using disk utility it will destroy the bootloader... You will need to manually restore it... Which is not very hard, but requires additional steps...

@breaking bad: when/how is your freezes happening? and if you can, can you provide system log file?

Hi mate.

My system freezes not the same way. Sometimes it freezes when I´m using Photoshop, other times it freezes when I´m just listening to music or surfing the internet... that´s why I don´t know what is causing this random freezes.

I don´t know if I´m able to send you log files, since when my system freezes I have to reboot to make it work nice again. I don´t know if OSX would do a log file even rebooting the hole system. If yes, please lead me to the right place so I can set it to make a log file when the freezes come again.

[]´s

P.S. - I installed the whole system again to a blank partition, installed almost the same softwares to see how the system will behave.

cd /var/log/

cp system.log ~/Desktop

this should copy the system log to your desktop... upload it to someplace, and provide the link..

THNX mate.

I enable the system log file to my system and as soon as I get system freeze I´ll upload the log to MediaFire and post the link here. ;)

[]´s

I installed 10.5.2 perfectly on my P5N32-SLI Premium WIFI board with 100% working audio, video, wifi, ethernet, restart, sleep & shutdown.

I chose the NFORCE KERNEL during the install...

is the nforce kernel available with the update package?

I tried the 10.5.3 update but it starting giving me errors and system stability just blew after... so i reinstalled 10.5.2 and everything is fine again...

So my 2 questions are: If no kernel is chosen during the install, which kernel will be installed? Is the NFORCE Kernel available as install option?

The only other kernel which works freaking great with my board is the 9.2.0 TOH kernel (Makes my SATA DVD Drive work perfectly where the nforce kernel makes it just weird, have to use IDE DVD)

Thanks!

I installed 10.5.2 perfectly on my P5N32-SLI Premium WIFI board with 100% working audio, video, wifi, ethernet, restart, sleep & shutdown.

I chose the NFORCE KERNEL during the install...

is the nforce kernel available with the update package?

I tried the 10.5.3 update but it starting giving me errors and system stability just blew after... so i reinstalled 10.5.2 and everything is fine again...

So my 2 questions are: If no kernel is chosen during the install, which kernel will be installed? Is the NFORCE Kernel available as install option?

The only other kernel which works freaking great with my board is the 9.2.0 TOH kernel (Makes my SATA DVD Drive work perfectly where the nforce kernel makes it just weird, have to use IDE DVD)

Thanks!

did you try my update package?

my update package by default, installs 9.2.0 toh sleep kernel which works on your mobo, because i used to own the same mobo before!

I dont know what is the deal with your system, if you can check kernel version, in terminal by typing

uname -a

and copy/paste what it says, we can see... But i m not sure you are using my update package? because there are other users with the same update pkg, and didnt have issues like u said?

anyways, wait for the 10.5.5 update :P coming tonight or tomorrow...

@Mysticus

Mate, here it goes one log file from my system.

Unfortunatelly isn´t the freeze system log file, but it´s one that my system generated after go to sleep and just wake up by reseting the entire machine. :)

My system started not to wake up after go to sleep.

[]´s

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=23ffe75...2db6fb9a8902bda

did you try my update package?

my update package by default, installs 9.2.0 toh sleep kernel which works on your mobo, because i used to own the same mobo before!

I dont know what is the deal with your system, if you can check kernel version, in terminal by typing

uname -a

and copy/paste what it says, we can see... But i m not sure you are using my update package? because there are other users with the same update pkg, and didnt have issues like u said?

anyways, wait for the 10.5.5 update :) coming tonight or tomorrow...

So if I don't choose a kernel it installs the TOH sleep kernel by default? cool. I'll wait for your 10.5.5 update and give it a shot... I'll post results.

Quick question again... If I install the TOH Sleep kernel, will it overwrite my NFORCE Kernel (well i know it will) but do I need to manually remove the other one or it does it all automatically?

Update News: I figured out another way of installation of updates (found some files around), which makes updating extremely easy ;) and for anyone much better... But The new method will be in 3 stages... ;)

1) Install Patch 1: Combo Update Enabler

2) Install Original Combo Update Directly (no fingering with terminal :) )

3) Install Patch 2: Combo Patches (this is gonna be the customized patches for every combination of hardware, so once original update done, you will be able to reinstall all your custom patches/drivers...)

4) Restart and wait patiently :)

For stage 3, this is gonna be last call to send me your REQUESTED PATCHES/DRIVERS.... (no AMD related requests please, only Intel CPUs)

Tomorrow evening, I will release the update package..

In the mean time, people can download ORIGINAL APPLE 10.5.5 Combo Update

Stay Tuned, will worth the wait :)

Used this to go from a stock Kalyway 10.5.1 install to 10.5.3 and it worked great. Then used directions in Update thread to update with 10.5.5 combo update.

What hardware are you using and what kernel also with 10.5.5?

Are you talking about the guide above your post?

Guys, I PMed at least 50 people, and only 1-2 people give feedback...

For the next update package (10.5.5 which is coming very soon) I will need people's feedback in areas where there are problems with after update effects... so i can add additional options for drivers and or patches... if no feedback given, most likely same troubles will continue to happen...

@breaking bad: when/how is your freezes happening? and if you can, can you provide system log file?

I used the 10.5.3 combo update and then the 10.5.4 updater and everything seems to be working great - Thanks Mysticus and all!!

dastrom

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 ghz

Intel Badaxe2 D975XBX2KR motherboard

200 GB sata hd x2

2GB Ram

Nvidia TC6200 video card

DVD-RW

Update News: I m doing last bit of check ups, and will release the update in about an hour or so :)

Thanx for patience... Hopefully will worth the wait... :)

Sure it will be........ :)

I got so tired and 90% was done, but no energy to finish it up now :blink: gotta work tomorrow, so will finalize it tomorrow evening definitely :P

What to expect?

Pre Update Patch

(This one will help you all who is scared of terminal commands before the update, after this NO MORE WORRIES ABOUT IntelCPUPowerManagement kext anymore :) )

Original Combo Update (yes! download it from the link I provided earlier to be ready for tomorrow's test! No mingling in terminal! Direct Install from Original Update!)

Post Update Patch

(This one will (hopefully) ensure no TROUBLE after first restart --dsmos and cpupowermanagement will be dealt so no terminal needed on your side :) Also see %90 finished update screen shot below, for type of patches. You still have time to see more drivers, if you provide me links to the files! Until tomorrow evening...)

updjh1.png

Sorry for the delay/inconvenience once again :) Not much time after work for fun anymore :)

Hey, I'm sorry I won't be able to provide the link but when you install the Aitkos v4i DVD, he has drivers in there for SATA and Nforce-SATA... can u add that to this? Those 2 actually make my SATA DVD drive work perfectly where the Kalyway 10.5.2 install won't . If you can't, is there a way to extract it from the DVD? Also, are there any NFORCE Chipset drivers you can add? You wrote earlier that you had my same board before, you wouldn't happen to have the NFORCE 590 Chipset drivers would you?

I got so tired and 90% was done, but no energy to finish it up now :P gotta work tomorrow, so will finalize it tomorrow evening definitely :)

What to expect?

Pre Update Patch

(This one will help you all who is scared of terminal commands before the update, after this NO MORE WORRIES ABOUT IntelCPUPowerManagement kext anymore :) )

Original Combo Update (yes! download it from the link I provided earlier to be ready for tomorrow's test! No mingling in terminal! Direct Install from Original Update!)

Post Update Patch

(This one will (hopefully) ensure no TROUBLE after first restart --dsmos and cpupowermanagement will be dealt so no terminal needed on your side :) Also see %90 finished update screen shot below, for type of patches. You still have time to see more drivers, if you provide me links to the files! Until tomorrow evening...)

updjh1.png

Sorry for the delay/inconvenience once again :) Not much time after work for fun anymore :)

No worries......you do so much that is helpful for nForce MOBO owners and other MOBO owners......take your time.......BTW under which option will the Taruga_AD1988b_rev3 patch be found?.....personal interest here..... :blink: