Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

Hi,

I installed as per the instructions in this thread however I am still having some difficulty. I get the grey curtain of death seemingly randomly but MAINLY when I attempt to use Safari (Usually when I try to download but not only then). I do not get a panic.log file but in another log file I see "Network transition occurred" sometimes three/four lines of that and then the next line is on the restart when it says the machine was not shutdown correctly.

Here are my machine specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 95W G0 Stepping (Retail 775)

OCZ 4GB PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI Approved (2X2GB)

ASUS P5N-E SLi NF650i 775

Inno3D 8800GT OC edition 512MB Dual DVI PCI-E Graphics Card

D-Link RangeBooster N 650 Desktop Adapter DWA-547

Also, I have no problem in downloading updates directly from Apple using the built in updater.

I hope you guys can help and have the patients to deal with me :)

Thanks,

VJ

Hi,

I installed as per the instructions in this thread however I am still having some difficulty. I get the grey curtain of death seemingly randomly but MAINLY when I attempt to use Safari (Usually when I try to download but not only then). I do not get a panic.log file but in another log file I see "Network transition occurred" sometimes three/four lines of that and then the next line is on the restart when it says the machine was not shutdown correctly.

Here are my machine specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 95W G0 Stepping (Retail 775)

OCZ 4GB PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI Approved (2X2GB)

ASUS P5N-E SLi NF650i 775

Inno3D 8800GT OC edition 512MB Dual DVI PCI-E Graphics Card

D-Link RangeBooster N 650 Desktop Adapter DWA-547

Also, I have no problem in downloading updates directly from Apple using the built in updater.

I hope you guys can help and have the patients to deal with me :)

Thanks,

VJ

Put your specs in your signature...

4 gb ram will give u random panics as well... but this is not for safari specific, usually wen u try to work with large files (1-1.5 gb) or programs that allocates large memory space... it is caused by 64 bit mode, of the nforce ata driver and no solution for that yet, only take off 2 gb ram... and run the system with 2 gb only...

network card: what network card are you using? onboard? or your wifi? and what drivers?

Network card being used: Wifi

Drivers: Atheros Wifi drivers which came with Kalyway disk.

Tried to put system spec in sig but it kept telling me sig was too long (Even when 1 char long!!) I will try again later.

I will remove 1 2GB stick and see what happens. *Would I still get panics if I were to use your Iatkos guide? (Or do you mean no solution AT ALL ?)

***Edit***

Works much better with just 2GB installed however I'm still having Wifi issues. (Still getting "Network transition occurred")

***Edit***

Thanks,

VJ

Network card being used: Wifi

Drivers: Atheros Wifi drivers which came with Kalyway disk.

Tried to put system spec in sig but it kept telling me sig was too long (Even when 1 char long!!) I will try again later.

I will remove 1 2GB stick and see what happens. *Would I still get panics if I were to use your Iatkos guide? (Or do you mean no solution AT ALL ?)

Thanks,

VJ

is your wifi in the compability list? the chip and the model of it? do u know that driver supports your card? or needs other mods/tuning?

2gb ram will avoid the random freeze caused by nforce ata drivers (chipset drivers) but not going to fix totally if your NIC/drivers is the problem part.... so you gotta do your research about your card... if u dont want any hassle, read the nforce topic post#2 about my suggested WIFI card by netgear? it has official drivers and no freeze whatsoever problems...

I'm a complete newbie so I have no idea abotu tweaks and what not. I don't have the money to buy a new card at the moment (broke student...lol)

Some people are saying thatmy card 'D-Link N 650 DWA-547' works with the kalyway disk with the IOFamily kext (Naming this from memory), others simpy state 'Recognised as 'Airport Extreme' Right out of the box.

I think I might just try reinstalling using the Iatkos CD and hope for the best using your tutorial :P

I'll let you know how it goes by around 9PM (GMT)

Thanks,

VJ

if it is supported, most likely you will be uing your old 802.11 family kext, when you do the 10.5.3 udpate, it will back up your files, you have to replace back the 802.11 family driver in order for your card to function still... otherwise if you know it will work with new drivers, dont touch it...if the freezes started after you updated to 10.5.3, than you have to get back your 802.11 driver definetely!

it is in the backupkexts folder in the root of your partition... dont ask me how to do it, just install kext helper, and install with it with least painful way...

I'm a complete newbie so I have no idea abotu tweaks and what not. I don't have the money to buy a new card at the moment (broke student...lol)

Some people are saying thatmy card 'D-Link N 650 DWA-547' works with the kalyway disk with the IOFamily kext (Naming this from memory), others simpy state 'Recognised as 'Airport Extreme' Right out of the box.

I think I might just try reinstalling using the Iatkos CD and hope for the best using your tutorial :)

I'll let you know how it goes by around 9PM (GMT)

Thanks,

VJ

I removed the Atheros Kexts and replaced them with the IO8112 kexts. After which I put my other 2GB of RAM back in and hey presto it all works ! Thank you so much Mysticus !!! Everything is working PERFECTLY now!!

Kalyway 10.5.2 -> Mysticus 10.5.3 -> Mysticus 10.5.4 (Used 10.5.2 IO8112Family kexts)

I also chmoded and chowned my kernel :wacko:

VJ

I removed the Atheros Kexts and replaced them with the IO8112 kexts. After which I put my other 2GB of RAM back in and hey presto it all works ! Thank you so much Mysticus !!! Everything is working PERFECTLY now!!

Kalyway 10.5.2 -> Mysticus 10.5.3 -> Mysticus 10.5.4 (Used 10.5.2 IO8112Family kexts)

I also chmoded and chowned my kernel :)

VJ

well done mate, but i still suggest running system with 2gb only... bcoz 4 gb ram will give random freezes still with large files!, say for example, working with a movie file (zipping extracting or editing) or any other program which will allocate large memory (usually video editing) and also copying large files will cause random freezes... just reminding/warning you so that you know what awaits u in nforce chipset...

Hi all.

I´d like to say that my Apple USB Ethernet Adapter arrived and it´s working pretty fine, but I´m facing a little problem. My Windows Vista recognizes my adapter but ask me to install drivers... but the adapter didn´t came with drivers...

Apple site don´t have drivers for Windows (kinda obvious, but I should look for it there).

Any idea about what should I do to make it work for both systems??

Thnx in advance for the help provided.

[]´s

Hi all.

I´d like to say that my Apple USB Ethernet Adapter arrived and it´s working pretty fine, but I´m facing a little problem. My Windows Vista recognizes my adapter but ask me to install drivers... but the adapter didn´t came with drivers...

Apple site don´t have drivers for Windows (kinda obvious, but I should look for it there).

Any idea about what should I do to make it work for both systems??

Thnx in advance for the help provided.

[]´s

try this

The source of info is from here

i hope u know how to point to drivers when asked by vista, or manualy installing drivers? coz dont expect help on that...

@ Mysticus.

You don´t need to be worried.

This task is easy. LOL.

I read about this drivers, but when I downloaded the file and looked into it, doesn´t have specific driver for Vista, but I´ll try the WinXP ones...

Thnx for the info.

[]´s

Hello Mysticus C*,

my problem on HP6710b (C2D 7500, 4GB ram, x3100):

Leo4all V3 runnig Ok with 1680x1050, QE+CI OK, Vanilla 9.2.2

installed your update ( chosen Vanilla 9.3):

OK all installed fine (saw 10.5.3 in about mac), reboot

--) the screen jumps from blue to black and I still can see the HD led working so I guess the system is on but no display ?

any help ?

bye

Hello Mysticus C*,

my problem on HP6710b (C2D 7500, 4GB ram, x3100):

Leo4all V3 runnig Ok with 1680x1050, QE+CI OK, Vanilla 9.2.2

installed your update ( chosen Vanilla 9.3):

OK all installed fine (saw 10.5.3 in about mac), reboot

--) the screen jumps from blue to black and I still can see the HD led working so I guess the system is on but no display ?

any help ?

bye

were u using gfx strings? or nvinject before? did u try/select nvinject during install?

just efi for vanilla + bootloader, standard leo4allv3 install, patch for x3100.

no gfx strings via efi!

and no nv it's INTEL X3100..

edit: solved !

used F8, -s then ./options (from leo4all) removed intel video, reboot, OSX started with 1024x768, reinstalled 5 pcs. X3100 kext, repair, reboot, OK !

Installed the Apple 10.5.4 update (delta) --) OK !

see below :D

post-55980-1217691753_thumb.png

Update News: Apple started seeding the 10.5.5 to the developers already... Although it has major issues at this stage, it will not be very long for the update to be out... :D Looks like some frameworks change again and some drivers... So gotta watch out some of you... It will be a bricking one in a way :) when it is out, I will trim it down again, on this topic.... Like in title I said, all teh future updates will be on this topic, mainly in first post!

Hello.

I experience a similar problem as Komano where by it gets stuck at Waiting for Root Device. I think it is my Sata HD problem.

I do not want to change my HD to AHCI mode, as I might be using an extra IDE hard disk. Any other methods that I can use to solve my problem? I'm using the Standard Install without any customization. Thanks in advance. :)

Here is the error..

dsc00411ac8.th.jpg

Hello.

I experience a similar problem as Komano where by it gets stuck at Waiting for Root Device. I think it is my Sata HD problem.

I do not want to change my HD to AHCI mode, as I might be using an extra IDE hard disk. Any other methods that I can use to solve my problem? I'm using the Standard Install without any customization. Thanks in advance. :)

Here is the error..

there is nothing wrong with using ahci mode, all you need is to install drivers for windows if it is concerning you...

open device manager, uninstall ide drivers, install acpi drivers, and restart change bios to acpi, tahts it...

there is nothing wrong with using ahci mode, all you need is to install drivers for windows if it is concerning you...

open device manager, uninstall ide drivers, install acpi drivers, and restart change bios to acpi, tahts it...

AHCI you mean? :) I'll try it now. Which IDE Drivers do I exactly uninstall? Only the IDE controller one?

And also, does this mean I cannot use my IDE drive anymore? Thanks.

All thanks to you! I got my 10.5.3 installed already. But a new problem surfaces. :P

After installation, boots, but screen is blank. So I did the following...

Notes: if you have problems on reboot with video gfx (blue or black screen)

All you have to do is just press F8 at Darwin's prompt and then type -s (single user mode) then

at root type mount -uw /

and /movevideodrivers

then it will be prompt to move video drivers by class ( nvidia ; ati ; or intel gma) voila!

type yes to confirm or enter to skip !

Managed to get my screen back, but at 1024X768.

I tried installing nvkush, nvinstaller, but didn't help. Stuck at 1024X768.

I didn't install anything prior to this update. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help.

u dont need to remove any drivers... 8600 cards works with the drivers... but i m guessing you didnt choose the nvidia drivers from the update? you skipped the nvinject section?

(also yes, ahci, writing too fast didnt realize i wrote acpi, instead of ahci :) )

u dont need to remove any drivers... 8600 cards works with the drivers... but i m guessing you didnt choose the nvidia drivers from the update? you skipped the nvinject section?

(also yes, ahci, writing too fast didnt realize i wrote acpi, instead of ahci :) )

Yep, I didn't. But I did a reinstall and everything is working great now! (Except for sleep.) Thank you very much! :)