Combo Updates: Current Guide is for 10.5.5 Combo Update
Combo Patches: Current Patch is 1.1.5
BORING THINGS to KNOW BEFORE JUMPING TO UPDATES SECTION BELOW:
- DELTA UPDATE:
- ONLY the previous version can be updated (for example 10.5.5 delta update can update only 10.5.4 system, 10.5.4 delta update can only update 10.5.3, 10.5.3 delta update can update only 10.5.2...)
- COMBO UPDATE:
- ANY previous version of the same family can be updated to whatever version of combo update is ( for example if you are using 10.5.5 combo update, it will udpate 10.5.x (x=0,1,2,3,4==> 10.5.0--10.5.1--10.5.2--10.5.3--10.5.4) to 10.5.5
- VANILLA KERNEL:
- Most people do not understand this!!! Vanilla kernel is an untouched/unpatched/unfingered/unscrewed ORIGINAL KERNEL made by Apple. Not all motherboards (to be specific, motherboards with specific INTEL CHIPSETS) can use Vanilla Kernel.
- Using Vanilla Kernel DOES NOT MEAN, you are able to update official APPLE UPDATES without doing any patched drivers works or terminal works.
- In fact, NO ONE, until now to my knowledge, (apart from official-original MACs) is able to do OFFICIAL UPDATES without using special equiptments (like EFI-X to bypass certain tricks of updates) OR special bootloaders (similar to efi-x concept) OR special tricks (removing drivers and changing parameters from update scripts, or loading special drivers to bypass those update tricks, similar methods are used in efi-x and/or bootloader tricks)
- So, if you do not have certain variations of INTEL CHIPSETS, DO NOT SELECT/INSTALL/USE a VANILLA KERNEL! Your system may/will go into an infinite restart loop, OR it may simply PANIC...
Using Personal Messenger System of the FORUM (PM):
WHEN TO USE PM:
- ONLY-IF the link to update site does not work, you can kindly request the links through PM
- ONLY-IF I asked you to send me files/logs/etc
- ONLY-IF you are sending me files (should be drivers and/or patches) in intention of requesting to add those to currect UPDATE PATCHES
- ONLY-IF I have special contact with you for different purposes (like Verdant: for update talks, and discussing/sharing technical knowledge and opinions). SO you have good knowledge/opinion to share/talk/discuss about updates or tricks/workarounds for different/special purposes of installations/updates.
- ONLY-IF you want to privately say THANK YOU. But make sure you understand I am STRAIGHT [/size]
- Do not use PM, for asking for any type of help on installations or updates (apart from technical knowledge sharing).
- Do not use PM, for asking questions like "is this gonna work on this system?" "what should I do for this system?"
- In best case scenario, your PM, most likely, will be ignored
- If you keep insisting on being insulted in worst case scenario, I will make your wish come true as great as possible, and I mean it.
OTHER BORING THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT SUPPORT/HELP TOPICS IN GENERAL:
- The topics usually are for guidelines and path to finding answers, solutions MAY or MAY NOT be in the guides. I dont know all answers to all questions!!! Make a habit of reading and searching around. There are special topics for special systems. For example if you have AMD system, go discuss issues in an AMD related topic. AMD's for example has different issues! So better to discuss it in its own topic. For example, nForce chipset systems. There are topics for nForce Chipsets regarding, installations and updates. Because nForce Chipsets have their own issues. Although you will find/discuss some of the nForce issues here, it is better to discuss them in their own Topic.
- When you send me a PM, dont press the damn "Send the message" button 100 times, I dont care if it is intentional or unintentional if I recieve more than 2 copies of the same message! Dont expect a copy of your message in "sent items" part either! It wont show, but I receive your PM, so dont do it again and again until you see a sent message receipt... It wont happen! What will happen is I will receive 100 copies of the same message which will fill my PM box, people will complain that my message box is full, and I will be pissed off...
- Dont be a standard robot, and expect to be programmed all the time for every single situation. Get yourself a nice AI software and improve it
- If anyone was using additional patches and/or workarounds before, please let me know of these files, I will try to make an additional package for installing these files for you... And hopefully can add them to the current update package to include them as well for later usage...
HOW --NOT-- TO ASK FOR HELP:
- "I need urgent help, on my laptop/desktop" (there seems to be 1000000s of models from 100s of OEMs)
- "It didnt work, what do i do?" (what didnt work? what did you do? maybe the viagra you tried is not strong enough so ask your doctor a better medicine, ask your doctor not me)
- "I tried what you said but it didnt work, I chosed A and B, thought it would be enough" (I asked you to choose B, C, D, and you wasted my time, if you ask a question, listen to answer! If you dont want to listen, and dont frigging waste people's time)
- "I did everything correctly, as in the guide, but system does not boot anymore, help help" (what exactly you are referring? as you did everything of what?)
HOW TO ASK FOR HELP:
(LAST things FIRST==>??? Because good amount of stupid people do not read whole guides/topics and just get what they want quickly, and take off, and immidiately come back because they bricked their system for not reading important information!
- Please indicate your hardware profile details (more specificaly: CHIPSET, CPU, RAM, HDD/DVD types like PATA/or/SATA, GFX CARD MODEL/Memory?) like similar to mine in my signature (if you do a signature it is much better)
- Please indicate exactly what you did? (not just i followed the guide/steps, say what you did) and if you followed the guide below, what additional changes you made in the "customize" window of last step?
- Also please boot using -v and if possible screen cap of errors you had... or type them somehow...
- If you dont provide details, I cant realy help... without knowing any details to what you have done, and what hardware you have... Also expect to be warned/scolded/insulted if you totally ignored everything said above!!!
Treat these guides/files as a TEST... Although safe, make sure you back up your important stuffs before updates, and test it on an additional partition (see bottom of the page for Additional Guide to Make a Brick Free System) ... Before making this update main stream...
- Please Report Back TEST RESULTS TO THE TOPIC (NO FEEDBACK IN PM) in a propar structured way with all the above information (your system specs, your steps, and last step' customize options)
Here is what to expect finally!
(I should not even waste my time doing all the above writing, but there are way too many noobs to just ignore!)
UPDATE GUIDE/REFERENCE FOR CHOICES:
- (-a-) Prepare for Combo Update
- (-b-) Official Apple 10.5.5 Combo Update
- (-c-) Post Combo Update Patches (with customization options)
- How to Customize: When started the install program, watch the bottom left corner of the install window! It will show a button called "Customize" after you clicked the Next button first time. DO NOT PRESS NEXT BUTTON TOO MANY TIMES! ALWAYS CHECK THE BOTTOM LEFT CORNER FOR CUSTOMIZE WINDOW IN ANY INSTALLER.
4a. NORMAL --INTEL CHIPSET-- USERS
- Install (-a-) first (no restart), (-b-) next (no restart) , and last (-c-) and once finished customized install restart...
- Wait for second restart as usual from original update...
4b. SPECIAL --nFORCE CHIPSET-- USERS
4.1 Install nForce Drivers Package with following choices => nForceATA by slashack and usb fixes/usb mount fix/voodoo beta 2c kernel
4.1.1 RESTART to load 64 bit drivers to avoid crash/freezes
4.2 Install nForce Pre Patch first (Do Not Restart)
4.3 Combo Update next (Do Not Restart) ,
4.4 Post Patch --Customized--
4.4.1 Once finished customized install, Restart...
5. Make sure to install in order, and customize the Post Combo Update Patches...
6. Once done, please provide feedback so that I can fix/improve anything not working as intended in the TOPIC, and please DO NOT PM Me for SUPPORT QUESTIONS... DISCUSS the questions in TOPIC.
EXPLANATION FOR CHOICES
You are using a full official update, so almost all of us needs to have patched drivers. Therefore, CUSTOMIZATION is a MUST
- 9.2.0 ToH: This option is well known 9.2.0 ToH Sleep kernel. It is safe for most people, but i recommend choosing 9.4.0 over this one.
- 9.4.0 StageXNU: This is a safe choice over 9.2.0 ToH kernel. If you don't have any idea, please choose this option!!!!
- 9.5.0 Vanilla: This is for certain INTEL chipsets with Intel dual/quad core CPUS. It includes shutdown/restart/sleep fix. But it may not work correctly if you don't have compatible system. It creates endless reboot on non-compatible systems. So don't complain because of wrong choice
- Voodoo Magic: Voodoo kernels are still beta stages, so if you like to try new things, that is for you. But make sure you have a clue about what you are putting yourself into.
- Intel: ICHx AHCI is needed for controller ID and HDD Icon fix, but for this one to work, you will need to be set to AHCI mode from bios to function correctly.
- VIA: Via drivers will be updated/replaced so to get your functionality.
- Nforce: This is not necessary if you have the latest test version, since it is not official driver, it wont be overwritten.
- Intel: ICHx non-AHCI is needed for controller ID and HDD Icon fix, this one is for people who does not have AHCI option in their bios
- Just Restore: This option is for people who does not have any clue about what they have in their system.
- ATI: This option is for only ATI XT1950 owners with device ids 7280 7288 at the moment.
- Intel: GMA 900, GMA 950 and GMA 3100 models desktop/laptop drivers
- NVIDIA: If you are upgrading from below 10.5.3 versions, you must select either nvkush or nvinject with correct memory amount for your nvidia gfx card. There is also a limited number of gfx strings as well, but use it at discretion! Make sure what you are choosing. NFORCE mobo owners MUST also chooce nforce fixed nvidia gfx driverers as well.
- ALC: ALCinject drivers. Do not know whether they will work or not...
- HDA: Latest HDAenabler drivers, but do not know if they are working or not...
- ADI: This option is not a driver but an installer! So after update, go to Applications folder and run the program to install your driver
- Just Restore: If you don't have any clue about what you are doing, but know that you had your audio working before the update, choose this option.
- Just Restore: This option is safe for most people, but in case it doesn't work with your marvel network card, choose the other option. It may or may not work.
- Marvel Yukon/2: If restore option did not allow you to enable your yukon card, try this option. Again, may/may not work.
- SMBIOS: Choose Mac Pro for desktops, Macbook for laptops. Choose frequency specific smbios options only-If you know what you are doing,
- USB 2.0 Controller Fix: This is the most confused option. This is due to people not knowing the difference between usb not mounting issue vs usb 2.0 high speed controller not working issue! THIS DRIVER IS TO FIX USB HIGH SPEED CONTROLLER NOT BEING RECOGNIZED AT ALL! This driver is NOT for usb flash devices not mounting issue. Make sure you understand the difference. Because usb not mounting issue is related to kernel/system.kext mismatched versions, and does not require patched drivers, unlike the USB 2.0 controller fix.
- ACPI-APIC: If you select non-vanilla kernels, keep this option. If you select vanilla kernel, unselect this option!!!!.
- PS/2 - Battery Meter: Mostly laptop users will get their keyboard/mouse/trackpad and battery meter with this. However there is a chance that it may not work for everyone.
- Additional Fixes: This is only for specific requests. Dont touch it unless you know what it is.
- DSMOS Script Fix: This option will change the "1" script to read from DSMOS, therefore you can restart safely without worrying about it. This option also fixes all driver permissions.
Please, do not post the file links in public... So we dont break the forum laws...
Also if anyone asks any file link, use Private Messaging to answer... No Public Link Release Please...
- some of you may have bad bios issue--where it stops booting after saying some buffer message... like in dDub's case, in this case, you may need to use your old acpi driver, which is saved in /backups folder before the update started which is done by the prepare update package option, also make sure check this web site for possible bios mods/request mods... (http://osrom.net/biosmod/)
A SMALL GUIDE FOR PEOPLE TO TEST DIFFERENT STUFFS W/O BRICKING THE SYSTEM BEFORE MAKING IT MAIN STREAM:
Before you ask how to have multiple partitions?, clue, start fresh! use your whatever dvd to make brand new installationg.
Before you start your installation, take time to go to utilities/disk utility menu and use disk utility to partition your hdd. This is very important for your future developments and for a better rock solid foundation! Make sure you understand that this guide is to use on the same hdd, if you clone the partition to another hdd, it wont boot, until you apply the bootloader to that disk...
- If you have bigger than 80gb hdd space (also dont really plan to dual boot on this with vista, nothing more than xp is gonna flush the system under 80gb space). Choose 3 partition scheme (1-main 2-test 3-downloads or backup or windows-if you want dual booting)
- Name the partitions as 1st main 2nd test 3rd download or backup or windows 4th windows (if you plan to have 4th partition)
- Partition types for main test backup is osx journaled extended, and windows as dos fat
- for example: sizes for 80 gb hdd... 25-25-25 gb (80gb = ~ 75 gb)
- partition type from options menu: MBR!!!! (dont use guid if you wanna have peaceful system until you learn a lot, it will just cause you more trouble!)
- now proceed to install on main system
- system booted fine? accounts created, pass assigned? have all the drivers working? Stable system?
- proceed to real guide for CLONING the system
0-) Beauty of this is you dont need to use dvd now, only diskutility, it will do Live Cloning when you are in osx already
1-) Open Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility)
2-) From the left side, Click On the name of the current OSX HDD/Partition
3-) From the right side, Click on the Restore tab
4-) On the right side, you should see Source and Destination/Target paths
5-) From the left side, drag and drop the name of your current working OSX partition (main as in this example) to the Source path on the right side
6-) From the left side, drag and drop the name of your new OSX partition (test as in this example) to the Destination/Target path on the right side
7-) Do not choose anything on the bottom side unless you didnt erase the new hdd's new osx partition (if you choose the erase option, it will also clone the same name for the main partition, which means you will end up two partitions having the same name, and if you get confused, you may brick your system by deleting main partition, instead of test partition, if you think about it, you will understand what i mean...)
8-) Click on the Restore button on the right bottom side
9-) Now wait for the Restore to finish. (5-10 mins depending on your programs etc the partition size...)
10-) Once it is finished, on your new hdd you have the same exact copy of your current working osx partition but not the bootloader which you dont need anyway on the same hdd... (you can do this process for different hdd combination as well, but you have to install bootloader to that new hdd/partition after the clone process, either manually, or using installers? or osx86 tools...)
- What have you done? You did clone your working partition to another partition without the bootloader. Additional bootloader is not needed when you are on the same hdd and when you have already one bootloader.
- How does it work than? very simple! At boot screen countdown, press F8 key!! it should show you a list of partitions. To boot to main, just choose main and press enter, to boot to your test (clone of main) partition, choose the test partition and press enter (how to choose? use arrow keys damn it, dont ask this kind of funny questions )
- Note: If you cloned your partition to another hdd's partition , it will not show in the list at start when you press F8. But you can still boot from that, if you get the correct disk number and partition number of the clone. What you need to do is type -v rd=diskXsY and press enter (where X=0,1,2... and Y=1,2,3,... check disk utility, right click on clone partition and get info to get the numbers in form of diskXsY)
- Now boot to your test partition, and install anything you want... reboot, press f8 again, and choose test again, to see if it will boot? Is it bricked? no problem, just restart, and use main partition, it will boot fine! Then proceed to disk utility, first use erase menu to wipe the partition, and use the guide again to clone the main partition... no need to boot to dvd and reinstall entire system... this way you will always have solid system! as long as you do test your updates/ and suspicious installs on test partition...
- Sounds Hard to me? Well you didnt even try to read and follow the instruction and try it all, how can you know it is hard without trying damn it?
The Guide and Information here is evolving over time, so always check back the first post here first post of any support topic!!!
DONATIONS are welcomed and appreciated.