• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

V Plamondon

V Plamondon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Whether or not OSX is right for you really depends on you. If you do the things most people do with their computers and want a system that "just works" and you don't want any hassle, OSX is the strongest contender in my opinion.

If you are chained to specific software due to work or whatnot, you are unfortunately tied to whatever software platform it is on until you find alternatives. In this case, the internet is your friend, research diligently and dig up what alternatives there are.

Now if you want the latest doohickys, bells and whistles, and aren't afraid to roll up your sleeves, then the strongest contenders would be Ubuntu Linux and OSX as they are both capable, well maintained, consistant, stable platforms with huge amounts of open source software available. Which of the two you go with will depend on you. OSX is very polished, has better multimedia support in terms of hardware acceleration, and has much commercial software available, and Ubuntu has better hardware support for non-Macintosh computers.

In the case you are tied down with a lot of Windoze software, you really have a job cut out for you. You might want to set up a dual boot computer, adding the platform you are interested in and install Wine. See what software you can run under Wine and see what alternatives to what you have are available. This situation, switching platforms on the fly, is a real pain, but there are things you can do as the arduous transition from one platform to another begins to make it easier.

As you seek alternatives for your current software, choose multiplatform programs like OpenOffice, FireFox and Azureus to reduce the amount of new software you need to learn and acclimatize to. Treat any Windoze software that runs well under Wine as a multiplatform program and try any freely available open source Windoze programs under Wine as more possible multiplatform software.

cain.

cain.

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Hates spotlight.
Another plus: Firefox 3 looks way better in OS X than in XP, where it's plain ugly, whereas I really like the OS X theme...

cremestar

cremestar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
^...i tired out FF3, and i almost immediaitely reverted back to FF2 - FF3 broke almost all of my extensions and screws up all the themes :(...must....wait...a...while

metalmaniac

metalmaniac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Stability.. still crashes, but nowhere near as much.
The fact you can open viruses, and laugh at them.
Looks clean (Opinion i know, but generally speaking its eye candy)
Spotlight is amazing. I havent used the applications folder or icons in months. I just click in spotlight, type 3 letters of the program im lookin for and click enter. And its done. Or any file. Basically even though finders damn good. I havent really used it in a while.

FF3 does look tasty.
Dock grows on you.
The effects are nice, but not overwhelming as in compiz

Some reasons for ya to chew on

cremestar

cremestar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
speaking of ff3...is there any way to download another OS's default FF3 theme? like for example strata for macs?

cain.

cain.

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Actually, I hate Spotlight. It just does not find my files. Last week I spent two hours searching for an important file MANUALLY before finding it because Spotlight would not find it - and that's though I searched for the exact file name (and it was in a subfolder of my DOCUMENTS), and that's often happened before. Why can't they provide an additional search functionality that looks for files the old-fashioned way if Spotlight obviously doesn't quite know as much as it'd like to?

hecker

hecker

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Actually, I hate Spotlight. It just does not find my files. Last week I spent two hours searching for an important file MANUALLY before finding it because Spotlight would not find it - and that's though I searched for the exact file name (and it was in a subfolder of my DOCUMENTS), and that's often happened before. Why can't they provide an additional search functionality that looks for files the old-fashioned way if Spotlight obviously doesn't quite know as much as it'd like to?

That's weird. Could it be that the drive hadn't been indexed yet?
I'm not a Spotlight fan boy or anything (do they even exist?) but I must say that it has always worked flawlessly for me. Even finding text strings inside of PDF files, etc. in a matter of seconds.

cain.

cain.

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
As I said, it was inside my home folder in a backup of my old external HDD. And I'm not talking about it not working properly on a hackintosh, it's an aluminium iMac...

rhyguy

rhyguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
https://addons.mozil...efox/addon/7540 - Proto for windows/linux

for osx firefox 3 though, use Grapple Yummy Blue
https://addons.mozil...efox/addon/6704
A lot less ugly than proto

boss4908

boss4908

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Why you should use it is hard to say but why you should try it is not. I build my OSX86 for 2 reasons. First and formost " I HATE VISTA" pure {censored}. Second the Mac desk top looked cool. I have been pure Microsoft From DOS to Windows. I would also say XP is still a good OS. So I am not an MS hater. An earlier post was correct to say Windows is broke and it is. Crashes, not compatable, hard to use and just pisses me off. Enough about windows. The new Mac Os is great. Very stable, secure, fast and easy to learn and accually runs MS Office better and faster than Windows. The web brouser is cleaner and faster with no worrys about catching anything surfing. Mac has every app I need and more. The photo and graphics program designers should feel insulted just to be compared to the windows programs I have used for years. Any job you do with windows you can do with OS 10.5 and Its software easier, faster and more secure. Sad to say " I went Mac and ant going back"

cain.

cain.

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
"Once you go Mac, you never come back"? ;D

Daniel Felstead

Daniel Felstead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Graphic design, photography, animation, music,, travel, sight seeing and pretty much anything el...
FACT- Most operating systems are good. Reasons people prefer them though, are different. It really depends what you are looking to do on your system.
HINT- If you're curious about it, go to an Apple store for a talk or just to test drive a Mac, see how you like it and see if OS X suits you more.

cain.

cain.

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I'd rather install OSx86 if I were you - makes for more thorough testing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy