ATI AC 97 Sounds (SB400) effort

Andras Kenez

696 posts in this topic

Dope long time man... multi channel doesn't work in the 6ch configuration if you would like to work on it some more pm me i will glady be a testbed for your driver... considering how we got the sound to work i think we can get this to work as well even though i do i have a slight system change (new processor) it shouldn't effect the sound. so yeah lets get this going again like old times

Hi,

I have my sound card recognised correctly both with Beta drivers and even with original 10.4.8 drivers. Problem is that i can not get any sound from it. Speakers plugged in the green output from the sound card. (I have only blue, green and red outputs from the soundcard).That is on my HP machine.

One thing that I have noticed on my other machine Dell Dimension 8400 (Fully working hackintosh) that Intel AC 97 ICH6 sound card (works 100%) but i get sound only if I plug speakers in the black output on the sound card. The green jack does not give any sound as it should.

My question is if sound (output) from ATIIXP AC97 is wrongly directed as it seems to be in the case with Dell dimension.

Regards Nenad

P.S I have tried to play with all possible settings that You recommended but without any success.

*bump* I see people are downloading this, do I get any feedback?

It didn't work for me. System Profiler says "No Built-in Audio." Volume slider appears as well as Line Out in the Sound application. I just don't get any sound out of any of the jacks. The driver linked in post #532 by Mohd Yusuf did work, sound comes out of the jack. System Profiler still says no built-in audio but the sound works!

Motherboard is an ECS RS400-A, audio is Realtek ALC655 with ATI SB400 South Bridge.

It didn't work for me. System Profiler says "No Built-in Audio." Volume slider appears as well as Line Out in the Sound application. I just don't get any sound out of any of the jacks. The driver linked in post #532 by Mohd Yusuf did work, sound comes out of the jack. System Profiler still says no built-in audio but the sound works!

Motherboard is an ECS RS400-A, audio is Realtek ALC655 with ATI SB400 South Bridge.

The reason it says ytou don't have built in audio is the fact you don't own an official mac. Only official macs report built in audio.

Here's a dmesg.txt attachment, produced with thedopefishlives driver installed, checked all the ports for audio, nothing there. Tried playing an audio CD, Quicktime movies, youtube, and system sounds. Nothing. The other audio driver I mentioned in a previous post does work, just some of the controls are grayed out. But all audio works for the earlier driver.

the second dmesg.txt is for the earlier AppleAC97Audio.kext that works.

dmesg.txt

dmesg.txt

Basically, what I need is a complete log from the time the kernel boots until the user gets dumped into the graphical environment. What I'm looking for, specifically, is a _complete_ trace of the driver's debug output; the logs that you guys uploaded are chopped. I'm not sure how to get that, though.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I've tried using the without power savings kexts and they all seem to still mute my system. Is there anyone who has a confirmed kext that has no power saving features? If so, please send me a PM!

Thanks.

zsharp,

I think you have the same external line out problem like me and various others. For now there is no working sound, but in Linux it works by un-selecting External Amp, and this is kind of where we are stuck because we don't know (or as far as I know) how to disable external amp/line out in OSX.

Best Wishes :thumbsup_anim:

Ryan

Thanks for all who made and discussed the driver!

It's work for me.

Laptop Samsung P29

ATI Radeon Mobility 9000IGP (not working yet), ATI chipset

SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio VenID=1002 DevID=4341

but it is not Realtek, it is Analog Devices ("IOAudioDeviceManufacturerName" = "ATI IXP SB400 SND / ADS74")

so plugin AppleAC97CodecAD198x is loaded and work for input and output.

• 3 weeks later...

now i download the binary, follow the instructions, only to find that when rebooting my notebook says that the .kext was installed/configured improperly.

My sound is Conexant Cx20468 @ ATI SB400 AC'97

could someone please point me in the right direction of getting this to work!

:) Update:

i followed the instructions on the osx86 wiki about installing audio kexts

when the computer loads i now get a volume icon on my top bar on the right.

But in the System Profiler it still says "no built in audio" and i still have no sound.

My laptop only has spots for external speakers and a mic. My speakers work in niether nor do my built in speaker play sound.

you should change kext permissions..

sorry i'm on my linux box now, please search in forums

hint:

in terminal (superuser mode):

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/path_to_your_extension/name_of_your_extension.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/path_to_your_extension/name_of_your_extension.kext

touch /System/Library/Extensions

reboot.

i think.

i did everything, still no sound. The system profiler says no built-in audio but i have a sound icon and i can adjust the volume and it says i have a line out device AC 97 (PCM).

regardless, :o for the quick response

i just cant get this working ive experimented with the kext for power saving and without and all the specific kexts inside of them (amd, atiixp, etc.) There has got to be something to get this working :blowup:

I've tried (i think) everything in this thread--no go. Asus A8AE-LE here (SB400 AC 97). Anyone with this mobo? I'm using uphuck 1.4a 10.4.9.

One strange note about my setup: I was struggling to install OSX for days before I got it working. One failed install (refused to boot, no gui) the into music started playing with a black background. That might have been with JaS 10.4.8. Is there anyway I can use the drivers from that distro to get my sound working? What do I need?

Turns out I'm an idiot... I had on-board audio turned off in my bios!

I got the 1.1 beta driver to load and it shows up in Sound Preferences (AC97 Audio (PCM and SPDIF)). No audio comes out though.

I have the following kernel dependecy errors:

AppleAC97Audo:

com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily

AppleAC97AudioATIIXP:

com.apple.driver.AppleAC97Audio

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily

I will keep investigating.

It seems I just keep answering my own questions. I got it to work! I simply used bachok83's kext (located here), rebooted, and it works! I've yet to test input or digital, but i have faith! It appears I now have a 100% functional hackintosh! Complete with two burners, firewire, card reader, internal ethernet, on-board audio, sata, ata, etc! And it only took a week of my life :P

Thanks to all that made this happen.

Now to back this bad boy up...