ATI AC 97 Sounds (SB400) effort

Andras Kenez

696 posts in this topic

chris can you post your latest code that you compiled with?

i didn't compile any code i was using Dopefishes build, and it works pretty well except the fact that it crashes when you load garageband and anything that tries using the six channel mode, also when you play your first 5-10 sound file its choppy then after its fine, i even changed the mode from 44100.00Hz to 48000 and it still ran fine. also i fail to mention that i have usb mic so i proablly didn't stress out the driver enough... other than that the driver is superb. But i still want my garage band. so if there is anyway to disable the 6ch thing pleease let me know. well for a while the 48000hz work now it KP's but for now @ 44100Hz works fine so far.

go to system preferences -> sound -> output and tell me what your name and port are

mine says name: Line Out port AC97 Audio (PCM)

i'm pretty sure hat's why I don't here sound, but I can see in the console that it is laggy and that the perform audio engine stop is getting called.

A collection of hopefully usefull information, adding search tearms to find and discard useless information:

http://tuvix.apple.com/documentation/Devic..._section_5.html

http://www.opendarwin.org/pipermail/cvs-sr...May/005153.html

(Search "DMA Engine")

http://www.channelu.com/NeXT/NeXTStep/3.3/...tmld/index.html

(Search "IOSleep", some other usefull stuff)

http://www.darwin-development.org/cgi-bin/..._scsi.c?rev=1.2

(Search "DMA Pointer")

EDIT: Whoops, the third link is for NeXT. Meh, maybe it's still got a clue?

I have internal speakers. They are not connected to line out however. My hardware is working because I can hear the pop as the chip turns on, however, there is no sound being outputted to my speakers, headphone, or microphone ports (i checked them all just in case.)

its odd.....i'm trying to figure out why its happening that way.

One quick question:

how do we turn off Debug log, I tried changing #define AC97_DEBUG_LEVEL from 3 to 0 in IOAC97Family/IOAC97Debug.h, but does not seem to work ?

Ed ? Dope ? anyone

Actually, I put in a lot of debugging stuff using IOLog instead of DebugLog. I'll go back and change a lot of that as soon as I can confirm that everything is working properly and I get a coupla other bugfixes done, which will probably be later today. I have a major project that has to be finished in Linux, but I'm almost done with it and will be able to answer Ed and you today.

On my system, the driver exhibits some strange behavior, playing through buffers too fast (i.e. the Chipmunk Phenomenon), and also very entertaining kernel panics after a few minutes of usage. Looks like I got a lot of debugging to do.

yeah i am noticing kernel panics when i play dvds and i got one KP when talking on skype but think that was due to it being on 48000Hz (i think i wish i could figure out what causes the KP)

download the latest attatchment posted from dopefish.

extract it

go into the build/devlopment directory and drag the AppleAC97Audio.kext file to / directory (usually on the left where your hard drive icon is)

then open up a command prompt

type sudo -s

type in your password, hit enter

then type

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

cp -R /AppleAC97Audio.kext .

chown -R root:wheel *

chmod -R 755 *

and then reboot your machine

(with -v if you care to watch the verbose stuff)

And then you can test it and say what happens

kernel panic traces would be nice if you could get them (i don't remember how to get them right now [google is friend])

and that's about it.

Oh, if you type "ATI Audio SB400" in google, we're the first one to come up. (mad props to us)

How do you change between 48000 Hz and 44100 Hz?

In applications go to the utilities folder then double left click on audio midi setup, on the front page it allows you to tinker with audio properties. which reminds me can't the AC97 go lower than 44100Hz -16bit. cause that might have something to do with the driver...., another thing would it bepossible to have it putout to another log file besides system.log and ed i think inorder to veiw kernel panic logs you need a real mac. because the method of logging the panic involve the nvram something normal pcs don't have.