How do you "close" a program

11 posts in this topic

hello my fellow osx86 peeps.

When u click the X button, it seems like it closes the app but it still sitting in the dock and "idling" in the background. I remember seeing an option to actually close the app, but can't remember where. Any1 know what the options I can select to actual "destroy" the program when I click the "X" button?

Thanks.

4 solutions [EDIT] If your app is frozen/does not repsond [/EDIT] :

1) Right Click on your Application in the dock > Force to quit.

2) Command + Alt + Esc > you'll get a contextual menu and be able to close any application. (on PC keyboard the keys sequence might be Windows + Alt + Esc.

3) Open the Terminal, type "top" (without quotes)

Check the app process number to close, then CTRL + C, then type "kill xxx" (xxx represent the process number, still without quotes)

4) Open /Preferences/Utilities/Activity Monitor

Select the app to close and click "quit" (quit or force to quit)

You are trying to make the application behave like a windows application but as far as i know there is no way of doing this. The X button in the corner of OS X applications is for closing the window only. You close an application by going to file->quit. (or command+q as previously stated) There is no button for closing an application.

This is the one of the first things a Windows user must get over! On the upside, the memory management in OS X works so well, most of the time, you can forget about closing/terminating applications. :) Just close the windows when you're done and don't worry about the little black arrows. Unlike Windows, you can fill your dock with little black arrows with nary a slowdown. Such usage typically brings a Windows machine to its knees--even one with gigs of memory.