Battlefield 2 **Cider** On-line play?

SquithyX

107 posts in this topic

I seem to be having problems with the graphics (every time I run the game it tells me I need to update my NVIDIA drivers in game). It also has a black background, is this normal? (i.e. no video in the background).

Every server I join kicks me instatly because of unknown window api calls but other then that (lol) it runs.

Two things I'm curious about: Could we somehow mount the BF2 mini iso and be able to game without the CD in?

Also is there a way to enable the expansions to work for this? I copied over both booster packs and Special Forces but I'm not sure if they work

When I go to drag the two files from the CD into the next alias I get an error stating that I can not because the original item cannot be found. I am given the option to fix the alias, but like the computer, I have no idea where the original item is.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance for you help!!!

i got the same problem whit this... do enny one know a "fix" or how to make it work?!?

Hey I tried installing BF2 on the mac side and followed your steps. But when I click Battlefield 2 Modern Combat to try to open it, my mac says you need Mac OS X 10.5.2 or better to play it. I am on Mac OS X 10.4.11 and am using a MacBook Pro. I can't seem to get the thing to work. I installed BF2 on bootcamp and got the 1.41 patch on as well. I then switched over to the Mac side and copied the Battlefield 2 folder into the "Battlefield 2 Folder Here" Folder and copied TMP00001 and 00002 (or whatever) from the CD to the "CD/DVD Files Here" Folder and then I went into the system.reg, and put in my CD key from the case and it still will not open or anything. What am I doing wrong? I downloaded the Battlefield_2_Modern_Combat_Mac.dmg file and copied the stuff inside on to my mac and then placed the files into those on my mac. I know it sounds a bit confusing :D. But please I would love to get this running on my Mac side, as I constantly get disconnected from the internet on my Windows side but not my Mac side. Thank you.

PS. I also get the same error as SanGecko and Dan1Jel

Heya,

Just wanted to say thanks for this great work! It took me a while to download the 1.41 patch hehe, but it was well worth it! I have it working + online support thanks a lot for this ;)

I do however have one little question.... Is it possible for me to get the FPS displaying while i play, and is it possible to force a windowed mode?!

Thanks for the great work!

Heya,

Just wanted to say thanks for this great work! It took me a while to download the 1.41 patch hehe, but it was well worth it! I have it working + online support thanks a lot for this :(

I do however have one little question.... Is it possible for me to get the FPS displaying while i play, and is it possible to force a windowed mode?!

Thanks for the great work!

It seems like no one talks here or helps each other. This thread is dead (or maybe this forum is dead lol).

Anyways, I believe if you type -windowed on the command line parameters it will launch in windowed mode. I'm not sure though so search Google to check on this. As for FPS I dont think there is a built in FPS. I used XFIRE for that in Windows. There is no Xfire port for Mac but someone is releasing one soon.. home made of course.

Is there a way to play Special Forces using CIDER?

You can pass arguments to the BF2.exe executable by running cider from the shell. If you wanted BF2 to start up with the Special Forces mod, then you would type in the following...

"./Battlefield 2.app/Contents/MacOS/cider" -- BF2 "+modPath mods/xpack"

Of course that's assuming that you're in the same directory as the Battlefield 2 application.

I whipped up a little AppleScript that will allow me to start up in Special Forces. Just open up the AppleScript Script Editor, and type in the following line:

set results to do shell script "\"/Games/Battlefield 2.app/Contents/MacOS/cider\" -- BF2 \"+modPath mods/xpack +restart 1\" > /dev/null 2>&1 &"

Then save it as an application by changing the file format to "Application" in the Script Editor "Save As..." dialog. Be sure to provide the correct path for cider. I keep Battlefield 2 in my Games directory, so you will want to change that part of the path if you have it somewhere else. Once saved, you can simply double-click it to start BF2 in Special Forces.

Thanks for your effort. I tried using NVInject but it didn't get any better. I still have those graphic problems. They are even worse than with Modern Combat v2 - which has worked best for me so far. Here is a screenshot of what my problem looks like.

Another thing is, that I get an ingame message that I should update my graphic card driver in order to run the game correctly.

I have a G-Force 8800GT, and I have the same graphics issue. The only way I can get rid of it is to reduce the Terrain detail to the lowest setting. I've read where others are having the same issue, and there's a comment in this thread that hints at the problem being caused by z-buffer errors. I've tried playing with the d3dgl options in the config file, but the only thing that seems to help is to reduce the terrain detail.

On a related note, I am able to reproduce this graphics issue under Boot Camp, and I challenge anyone to explain why it happens. If I change the name of the BF2.exe executable to something else, say burfle.exe, then I get the black spots. When I change the name of the executable back to BF2.exe, then everything is fine. :censored2:

I took the screenshot when I was running v4. I will try to delete those folders and reply if it works or not.

EDIT: When I delete the BF2 Preferences Folder in MacHD/Users/XXX/Library/Preferences the game won't even start anymore. The splash screen appears but after a few seconds the game quits without showing any message. When I copy the folder back to this directory the game would start fine again.

I started trying to get BF2 running under Cider just recently. Since I own BF2142, I started with that as my application base, and managed to get things running fairly quickly. When I ran into the black spots graphics issue, I tried the Battlefield 2 Modern Combat V4 app that SquithyX put together, hoping that it would solve the issue. It behaved just as you described. The splash screen would appear, and then the game would silently quit after a few seconds. I finally figured out that the problem was caused by this line in the config file:

"cmdlineadd" = "+widescreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 800"

Since my system has no notion of a 1280x800 display, the game would just quit when it couldn't open the display. After I changed the line to "cmdlineadd" = "+restart 1" then it worked just fine.

i tried it aswell.. and when i press "cd / DVD here" i get a display massage, that i need to repair, delete it, and when i press repair, i need to choose an App... why wont it work for me ?

i am on iMac..

why cant enny one help me with this problem :D i want to get my BF2 to work, but i cant... plz some one?

Can we use the new version of CIDER that came out with Spore and repatch the game via that? Perhaps that would fix some of the graphics problems?

I noticed that the blackspots seem to be the patches of grass or other flora in the map itself. I'm guessing this means there is no way we can run all the settings on high :/ (I have an 8800 as well).

Is there anyway atleast to get rid of that msg. Also does anyone know of an XFire clone that we can use to play with our friends on XFire. Since BF2 has no ingame buddy system its hard to tell friends where you are playing. I know some Germans are working on an xfire clone but its in prealpha and has no website.

Have we figured out a way around the PB kicks for API yet?

HERE COMES VERSION 5!

Ok, hello again

I have been away again - it is becoming quite hard to find time for this project but i am still trying!!

The Alias problem should now be fixed with this update.

The current version of cider I am using is 1430, which is as far as i know it the newest version - from the Spore game :(

The problems with the onlien play are as follows:

evenbalance - the ppl who make PunkBuster, dont support BF2 on Mac, so we need to use the Windows versions of these files...BUT Mac and Win have different memory addresses and allocations so Punkbuster is kicking us due to that. I am trying to use the linux versions of the files presently as Mac is more like Linux that Windows, But still not having much look.

In the mean time, there are the newest PunkBuster files included with this download for you to try - they may let you play for 10-20min before being kicked.

Battlefield 2 Modern Combat v5

On a side note, how many ppl are having graphic problems and what graphic cards you running, as it seens to be the nVidia cards with the problems?

When i'm trying to connect to a server the game just crash, but in singelplayer it works fine.(except the graphic problems).

Before when i was trying to connect to a server it was saying "cd key invalid", and now I have fixed it with your helps and now it's crashing.

Did you have the same problem before or was it the cd key? or is it just me?

Another question when manually update the PB:post-275833-1219254574_thumb.png

Which extension ?

Well I have it running don't really play online cus i dont have a valid key (shh! lol) but everything works flawlessly for me on v4 but i have black spots where the grass is and stuff. i will try v5 and post results. o yea i have a 8800m gts and its a hackintosh on nvinject 0.2.1. leopard 10.5.2, i know i still need to update. i failed like 6 times on hackintosh update tho.

For all those out there with the graphic problem, if you could please try replacing your config file in

Battlefield 2 Modern Combat > Contents > Resources > Preferences

with this one config.zip

You will then have to delete the Battlefield 2 Modern Combat Preferences folder (or update the config file in there) and let me know if it works any better / worse. :)

Tibo111 - Does it give you any error? Also have you deleted your old preferences folder so it has the updated system.reg file?

The PB update files are to replace the ones in the Battlefield folder (from windows) and they go in the "pb" folder.

no it doesn't say any error its just crash, but not so fast. I think i will reinstall it in bootcamp.

And your new config file works better! (Singelplayer) but not 100%...

It's still some black spots on the ground. But maybe it is the texture settings, what should i use?

For all those out there with the graphic problem, if you could please try replacing your config file in

Battlefield 2 Modern Combat > Contents > Resources > Preferences

with this one config.zip

You will then have to delete the Battlefield 2 Modern Combat Preferences folder (or update the config file in there) and let me know if it works any better / worse. :)

No joy here. I still get the black spots, and the only way to get rid of them is to reduce the terrain detail to the "low" setting.

I think I'll have to wait until Apple updates the 8800GT driver, or until Dice releases the new patch for BF2, or both.

• 2 weeks later...