Leaked nVidia GTX 280

teknojunkie

21 posts in this topic

Leaked GTX 280 PICS

20080521_76388dd9c9d976eac98f0KBDqtIzrLWM_jpg_thumb.jpg

GeForce GTX 280:

512-Bit 1GB GDDR3 240 Stream Processors PhysX Ready CUDA Technology PureVideo HD technology Full MS DirectX 10 Support Open GL 2.1, SLI, PCIe 2.0 Support

20080521_7e79679ed25b3c81c9dcgYWoPVhGOPwb_jpg_thumb.jpg

GeForce GTX 260: 448-Bit 896MB GDDR3 192 Stream Processors PhysX Ready CUDA Technology PureVideo HD technology Full MS DirectX 10 Support Open GL 2.1, SLI, PCIe 2.0 Support

20080521_9a129865370dc6d25fd84UdiSROzbPJ2_jpg_thumb.jpg

"I don't have a whole lot of info for you because I can't read this page and translation services aren't much help either. These are supposedly leaked GeForce GTX 280 photos. I am not sure about the authenticity of the pics or info but it is always fun to speculate on this kind of stuff. I snagged a couple pics to whet your appetite, hit the link above for all the pictures." ~hardocp.com

GT200_core_1.jpg

000783327_1.jpg

000782915_1.jpg

000782916_1.jpg

NVIDIA "GT200" is pretty much ready

More than a few NVIDIA partners have been revealing information about the upcoming "GT200" chip from NVIDIA. The G8x architectures has been with us for an extremely long time, and with the G9x refresh, NVIDIA has had more time than ever to complete the true next generation architecture, known as both "G100" and "GT200". Apparently, NVIDIA has been working hard because the story is that NVIDIA could present its next architecture any day now, if it wanted to, but instead it's going to keep riding the G92 wave until AMD is ready to launch the R7x series.

The only kind of information about the performance that has leaked was posted by German HT4U.net, which stated that GT200 would sport twice the FPU performance of G92. This doesn't say much about the actual performance though, but we would be very surprised if GT200 doesn't stand up to R7x.

courtesy of http://maxishine.com.au

• 2 weeks later...

i hope that this video card quickly get support for the Hackintosh... This will be my future videocard to play with Stalker Clear Sky and some other games so it will be nice to

utilise it in both osx86 and pc-vista platforms... :rolleyes:

Hope that the guys behind the coding of the nvidia video drivers for osx86 begin to work on them as soon as they receive it.

The "guys" don't code nvidia drivers for OSX, Apple does.

Leopard 10.5.3 doesn't support it, though Snow Leo does :P

I hope so... I hope that some1 manage to get gtx280 working as fast as i've seen for the 9800GX2...

i thought that to get a new videocard like 9800gx2 was a big task... instead the "guys" :D managed to

do that pretty quickly... Luck? :D I got great hope for this new video card and the ability of the community

to find a way to make it work on 10.5.3 ^__^

GTX280 isn't that impressive if you look @ real-world PC benchmarks compared to 9800GTX.

I'm hoping for support of Radeon 4870

I just ordered the eVGA 280 GTX SSC edition. Getting it tonight. My only worries atm is if OS X 1.5.2 nvdia drivers i have for my 8800gt will work with the 280 gtx.

depends if it has the same chipset it should work.

depends if it has the same chipset it should work.

It is based on the G92, so there shouldn't be much of an issue making it work

I'm sure once aqua-mac gets his hands on one, he'll get it working. Once that happens, I'll be picking one up myself :(

this thing isn't a g92 tho, if a 9600gt wont work this likely wont too.

also the 'real world benchmarks' you speak of comparing it against a 9800gx is actually the gx2 model (with 2 GPUs). this card is indeed impressive, however it only really shines when running at really high resolutions. if you're stuck at 1440x900 there's basically no point getting more than a 8800gts.

You know, I've always wondered why that is. Is it because Mac marketshare is too low for nVidia to spend the time writing OS X drivers? If so, maybe that will change as more people switch to Macs. It's frustrating because it seems that the video card manufacturers stop at nothing to insure their Windows drivers are as highly performing as possible, and then they don't even bother getting most the cards even working on Macs.

I said Apple, but 99% of the drivers are written by NVIDIA, just help by Apple for 1%, that's all ;) But still, they need some green light from Apple when coding these drivers and aren't 100% independent like Windows drivers.

Leopard 10.5.3 doesn't support it, though Snow Leo does :)

Actually, Nvidia and ATI write the basic driver and also provide source code and patches to Apple.

Am I right in saying it could be a while before support becomes available for the ATI 4850 or 4870 or is it anybody's guess at this stage? How about historically speaking? The former seems to blow the 8800GT away and the latter seems to see off the 9800GTS. The 9800GTS overclocked (the spec of which is apparently close to the GTX) seemed give all comers a run for their money but I would need to up the rest of my spec to house it. I'm not sure my Coolermaster 450W could entertain any of the above, let alone an 8800GS or GT. Any thoughts welcome. Keen to upgrade. In terms of budget I was keen to go for a Samsung 22" pebble and something that won't make my decent but modest Coolermaster explode.

• 4 weeks later...
I just ordered the eVGA 280 GTX SSC edition. Getting it tonight. My only worries atm is if OS X 1.5.2 nvdia drivers i have for my 8800gt will work with the 280 gtx.

So, how has your luck been Jaggy? What happen? Did it work?

Any news/word/ideas on when the GTX 260 will be supported UNOFFICIALLY thanks to the community in 10.5.3 or 10.5.4? Is anyone or any groups working on custom drivers?

• 6 months later...