Applications and CPU Limitations

11 posts in this topic

I was reading over at maxxuss' site about his patch that removes the 5-way conferencing limitations on non-Intel Dual Core Processors. I'm using it now and this would really benifit those with SDSL 3mbps or above. Mainly for those companies and families spread out across the globe. What interests me is this quote:

First Apple, now Skype, and who’s next in the lame Let’s-lock-out-AMD game? Is someone afraid here? Let me guess…

Let's speculate a bit? I'm assuming Intel will want to do this for obvious reasons :P. Then I think Apple Pro applications will incorporate some type of CPU limitation scheme. Lastly, maybe Adobe and Macromedia apps will do the same?

I thought he was maybe referring to Bill Gates being worried that intel and osx would get closer, and reduce the efficiency of windows on intel hardware. I regularly predict the ending of films and get it totally messed up, so don't pay too much attention ......

Well you can translate it any way you like. I think there will be more and more of these types of limitations. Limitting hardware to software and vice versa will be common i'm afraid. I'm thinking more componies will be in court the next couple of years.

Well you can translate it any way you like. I think there will be more and more of these types of limitations. Limitting hardware to software and vice versa will be common i'm afraid. I'm thinking more componies will be in court the next couple of years.

And more companies will be sued for this, don't forget that skype has been sued and subpoened for this lame {censored}

What interests me is this quote:

First Apple, now Skype, and who’s next in the lame Let’s-lock-out-AMD game? Is someone afraid here? Let me guess…

Let's speculate a bit? I'm assuming Intel will want to do this for obvious reasons ;). Then I think Apple Pro applications will incorporate some type of CPU limitation scheme. Lastly, maybe Adobe and Macromedia apps will do the same?

I thought he was maybe referring to Bill Gates being worried that intel and osx would get closer, and reduce the efficiency of windows on intel hardware. I regularly predict...

Well, M$ dropped the Intel 64-bit Itanium version of Windows in favor of AMD's Athlon64 64-bit code for their Windows xp 64 bit edition Itanic XP and before with AMD64 instruction for hardware enabled DEP with sp2.

Let's walkon down your road of possible predictions, shall we?

If Apple borders up their Mac OS X against the AMD cpu's,

which for the record we certainly wouldn't want to happen,

and future unibin software get's anti-AMD code included...

But uncle Bill starts to see Intel os X as a serious thread for Windows (that is still, what...? 95% of x86 market-share?) on the x86 market...

What keeps him from enable a pact with AMD for Athlon optimised Vista and future os's?

I realise this is a daring path to walk, since this definitely is an os X-fanboys site, but hear me out;

I get the sense that most of the people overhere are also AMD-fanboys over Intel (why else would Maxxuss' AMD instead of Intel cpu patches be so populair?) and sans directx support for the Intel Mac, gaming will never be populair as under Windows. For crying out loud: Ati-support only Intel Mac is solely OpenGl enabled...OpenGl has been nVidia's weapon of choice over Ati for ages, go figure :blink:

Add this fact that no nVidia support under Intel Macs is a big sinful no-no, since there are more pro-nVidia peops, than there are pro-Ati peops, who obviously would want driver-support for their brand new Geforce 7900GTX $$$ nVidia gpu that goes beyond drawing a GUI (what the heck do you think 3d GPU's were made for...duh!).

Or else they would have no other choice then to turn to the Vista & > os.

Make that an AMD optimised/freedom of GPU choice for nVidia, Matrox as well as Ati/gaming rig that also does great at buisness apps versus the Intel optimised x86 os X

...and who do you think will draw the shortest straw?

IMO Apple has the "superior os", that's why all people on this board want it to run on they x86 rigs in the first place, but what it all comes down to is I think Apple's switch from 'their' G-range/powerpc market to the (basically) 'Microsofts' x86 market could only be great if they respect x86's primairy unwritten law: freedom of choice. :guitar: Choice for the CPU (be it Intel, be it -the superior?- AMD), choice for the GPU (be it Ati, be it nVidia, be it Matrox, be it...?).

Amen! :)

If Apple borders up their Mac OS X against the AMD cpu's,

which for the record we certainly wouldn't want to happen,

and future unibin software get's anti-AMD code included...

AMD processors aren't supported to begin with. Also, universal software is already optimized for Intel.

AMD processors aren't supported to begin with. Also, universal software is already optimized for Intel.
True, very true. But at first, every SSE2 (patched SSE3) x86 cpu (be it Intel/be it AMD) would do, but from what I read at the top of this thread ia that there are specific Intel checks to tackle now.

Let's speculate a bit? I'm assuming Intel will want to do this for obvious reasons :whistle:. Then I think Apple Pro applications will incorporate some type of CPU limitation scheme. Lastly, maybe Adobe and Macromedia apps will do the same?

I really think that it will be Adobe. 98% sure...

Because in the past they already optimized the code for Intel. So why not take it to the next step.

True, very true. But at first, every SSE2 (patched SSE3) x86 cpu (be it Intel/be it AMD) would do, but from what I read at the top of this thread ia that there are specific Intel checks to tackle now.

I'm just surprised that they didn't just limit it to Core Duo and Core Solo processors when they released 10.4.4 anyway. I have a feeling that this is because the PowerMacs probably won't use them, but maybe the Pentium D when they are released (since they don't have the low power/heating requirements of the iMac, Mac mini, and notebooks).

Well, if you look at it closely, it's just like many applications out today, isn't it? There will be programs that will run on both Win9x and WinXP, but their XP counterparts will have more features available, because of the differences and advancements (or lack of...hehe...) between the two OS's. Just like these programs, Skype is taking advantage of the extra power in the Duo processors. From a development standpoint, this makes sense. Why would you want to give "inferior" processors access to things that only more powerful chips can handle?

The thing is...these "inferior" chips *can* handle these extra features. So why the hell limit the capabilities in the first place? IMO, it makes no sense, and I only applaud the work of people like Maxxuss to fix these things!

To expand on what MrBond was saying, I can not comprehend it either. Shouldn't they limit it to your bandwidth? I have run maxxuss' Skype patch to 8 video phone conferences. My CPU had no trouble at all. It was my bandwidth and my 9 year old Intel webcam giving me the problems. There is still one or two problems with the patch but i'm sure it will be fixed sooner or later. Thanks for all the work done on the patch.