AppleSMBIOSEFI for Tiger and Leopard

242 posts in this topic

I'm running iATKOS 5i updated (combo update) to 10.5.7 with Chameleon 2.0 RC bootloader. Since the 10.5.7 update, System Profiler says "There was an error while gathering this information." AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext is still in /System/Library/Extensions.

Is there a fix for this?

Delete System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPiPlatformReporter.spreporter

Issue will be solve ;)

Delete System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPiPlatformReporter.spreporter

Issue will be solve :wacko:

Didnt solve the issue.

i get the following error in syslog after i start system profiler:

2009-06-14 20:51:04.261 system_profiler[232:10b] *** -[sPPlatformReporter marketingStringForMHz:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x34bd40

2009-06-14 20:51:04.263 system_profiler[232:10b] Exception while calling [sPiPlatformReporter updateDictionary:]

*** -[sPPlatformReporter marketingStringForMHz:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x34bd40

I think i got the reason for this.The new binary for SPPlatformReporter does not have marketingStringForMHz in it while the old one did(10.5.4 and maybe 10.5.5):

xXx:~ xxx$ strings /System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPPlatformReporter.spreporter/Contents/MacOS/SPPlatformReporter |grep -i market

marketingStringForSpeed:units:

xXx:~ xxx$

I guess the solution "could be" to replace it with old SPPlatforReporter.sreporter.

Can anybody please post the output of :

strings /System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPPlatformReporter.spreporter/Contents/MacOS/SPPlatformReporter |grep -i market

It's possible that AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext isn't compatible with the new 10.5.7 AppleSMBIOS.kext. If you really want to stick with it, maybe you can get it working again by bumping the dependencies version numbers in info.plist.

For everyone on 10.5.7, I recommend deleting AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext and use Chameleon 2.0 with smbios.plist in /extra instead:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1156867

Hey Beerkex'd :unsure:

about the issue, I am using smbiosefi on 10.5.7 and works nice with boot_think bootloader of xiezhy which has no smbios override. But one thing, smbiosefi cannot be loaded when booting with "-f"

Hi U, congrats on the new release!

I want to try that bootloader too, but I can finally run retail now and everything is (finally) working so well that I don't want to mess with it too much.

I'm considering getting one more hard drive exclusively to have an installation to f**k around with.

It only took about a year of hackintoshing to get to this point...I don't need to look up every terminal command anymore and I can find my motherboard CMOS reset jumper in the dark!

Hey Beerkex'd :(

about the issue, I am using smbiosefi on 10.5.7 and works nice with boot_think bootloader of xiezhy which has no smbios override. But one thing, smbiosefi cannot be loaded when booting with "-f"

Hi uphuck and Beerkexd,

I solved this issue now.Like i suspecetd,the new SPPlatformReporter(from 10.5.7) is changed,it no longer contains "marketingStringForMHz" so i replaced the same with one with old one and it worked.

The link is here - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1182454

Post#390.

I am using Chameleon 2 RC1 with smbios.plist in /Extra

Now i just need to find a method to display my audio details in System Profiler.

Guys,

Is it possible to use DSDT for only specific hardware components,like in my case,just the audio to be dispalyed in system profiler,i only see the device id.

I am using VoodooHDA.kext.

• 3 months later...

Guys/ gals,

My SystemProfiler also encounter error where no data display upon activated. It sound "There was an error while gathering this information."

My system as in my siggy, retail DVD 10.5 updated to 10.5.8 & vanilla kernel, method running is using DFE disk chameleon. Is there any fix?

TY

• 6 months later...
If you used munky's boot from Efi partition method you can put andy's kernel and kexts in that partition without modifying your retail install.

i think your missing the point Beto2k7 - I believe TheMechanic said he didn't want to mess with his vanilla because he wanted a vanilla kernel, not a patched kernel.

I guess development for AppleSMBIOSEFI is gone into the abyss now? I've tried hundreds of AppleSMBIOS options, editing, patched files, and this one was by far the best, and able to bring me the most true values injected into system profiler.

Thank you Chun-Nan!!

Althgouh it was nice to edit memory type and memory speed with kernels flags, would be super awesome if we could edit a few further options like

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<key>SMbiosdate</key>

<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<key>SMmanufacturer</key>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<key>SMserial</key>

it would surely rock

AppleSMBIOSEFI is obsolete.

You can inject all that stuff if you use a Chameleon 2 based bootloader and /extra/smbios.plist. Make sure you have a vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext and that there are no other SMBIOS injectors present.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1400949

If you can't get this to work on your system you must be doing something wrong because it works for everybody else.

• 8 months later...
Hi guys,

Here is the beta AppleSMBIOSEFI I have been working on. It will work with original AppleSMBIOS but will try to fix or add some values that original AppleSMBIOS misses. Therefore, you don't have to worry about AppleSMBIOS being updated.

It is based on original AppleSMBIOS and it only works with EFI system right now. It is for both Tiger and Leopard. In addiation, it should fix "About This Mac" crash problem and wrong "Bus Speed" issue.

You can change the memory speed. Just boot with "memorySpeed=n" (n is the speed number you want)

You can change the memory type. Just boot with "memoryType=n" (n is the type number you want, 18 is DDR, 19 is DDR2)

Example:

memoryType=19 memorySpeed=533

Again, it is just the beta version and you still need the original AppleSMBIOS with it.

Chun-Nan

==============================

static const char *

SMBMemoryDeviceTypes[] =

{

"RAM", /* 00h Undefined */

"RAM", /* 01h Other */

"RAM", /* 02h Unknown */

"DRAM", /* 03h DRAM */

"EDRAM", /* 04h EDRAM */

"VRAM", /* 05h VRAM */

"SRAM", /* 06h SRAM */

"RAM", /* 07h RAM */

"ROM", /* 08h ROM */

"FLASH", /* 09h FLASH */

"EEPROM", /* 0Ah EEPROM */

"FEPROM", /* 0Bh FEPROM */

"EPROM", /* 0Ch EPROM */

"CDRAM", /* 0Dh CDRAM */

"3DRAM", /* 0Eh 3DRAM */

"SDRAM", /* 0Fh SDRAM */

"SGRAM", /* 10h SGRAM */

"RDRAM", /* 11h RDRAM */

"DDR SDRAM", /* 12h DDR */

"DDR2 SDRAM", /* 13h DDR2 */

"DDR2 FB-DIMM" /* 14h DDR2 FB-DIMM */

};

==============================

AppleSMBIOSEFI.zip

Update: 5/6/2008

1. It will use value of "cpu->externalClock" first. If that value returns 0, it will use value of "FSBFrequency".

2. Add "FSB" flag. You can change the FSB value in case the value is still not correct. Just boot with "FSB=n" (n is the speed number you want) However, it doesn't update the value back to "FSBFrequency" yet.

AppleSMBIOSEFI_b2.zip

Update: 7/2/2008

1. based on AppleSMBIOS-28

2. Added "serial-number", "board-id", and "system-type". The default serial-number is "W1234567890".

3. Released AppleSMBIOSEFI from memory after adding the values.

4. It should work both on Tiger and Leopard. (I used Tiger to compile the source code.)

AppleSMBIOSEFI_28.zip

AppleSMBIOSEFI_28Air.zip

P.S. CoolbookController won't work with AppleSMBIOSEFI_28 because model is set to "MacPro3,1". Try AppleSMBIOSEFI_28Air instead or change the model to the ones supported by CoolbookController.

It's almost 2011 but I just want to thank Chun-Nan, this work fixed my "About This Mac" crashes. Good Job!!

Thanks a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone was asking for 32/64 bit support the other day on the moofspeak irc channels (even though you can use smbios.plist) so here it is:

compiled (32/64) http://nawcom.com/SMBIOSEFI.kext.zip

source code http://nawcom.com/SMBIOSEFI-src.zip

Have fun. It's best to install it into /System/Library/Extensions, not /Extra/Extensions.

It'd be interesting to hear from someone who uses this instead of /Extra/smbios.plist and why.

Yeah, someone on one of the IRC channels claimed that using smbios.plist didn't work, even when setting up their system as MacPro3,1 - yet this worked fine, and wanted it 64-bit. I have a feeling he didn't know how to setup the smbios.plist, but regardless, this made him shut up. So I felt like I should post it here as well. People should be using smbios.plist now, since it does the same exact thing.

Yeah, someone on one of the IRC channels claimed that using smbios.plist didn't work,

Some bootloaders may not inject all needed SMBIOS fields even present in smbios.plist. Use correct one.

• 8 months later...
Someone was asking for 32/64 bit support the other day on the moofspeak irc channels (even though you can use smbios.plist) so here it is:

compiled (32/64) http://nawcom.com/SMBIOSEFI.kext.zip

source code http://nawcom.com/SMBIOSEFI-src.zip

Have fun. It's best to install it into /System/Library/Extensions, not /Extra/Extensions.

Hello,

Nawcom I have Sony Vaio VPC-EB3M1E and I made change in your kext to MacBookPro6,1. Everything work now but I have problem with memory detecting: DRAM instead of DDR3 and 0 MHz instead of 1066 MHz. I changed in SMBIOSEFI.cpp:

memTypesData->appendBytes("DRAM", 5);
to
memTypesData->appendBytes("DDR3", 5);

and

memSpeedData->appendBytes("0 MHz", 6);
to
memSpeedData->appendBytes("1066 MHz", 6);

I added info to smbios.plist too but nothing works ! What can I do now ?