Apple Aluminum Keyboard, USB Hub on Low power!

7 posts in this topic

My new Apple Aluminum Keyboard is working great (updated to firmware 1.0).

The problem is whenever I plug any USB 2.0 device on the keyboards USB port (for example my pen drive). It shows this error

usblowno0.png

But if I plug any other device which doesn't need high speed bus (for example my USB Bluetooth dongle), it works perfectly.

Why it is happening? Any solution?

that isnt a problem thats how its made meant for mouses and small devices, the usb 2.0 wont work only low powered ones I have the same keyboard.

It is not a problem, is designed that way.

Solution: Do not connect "High powered" USB devices, even my iPod nano (1st gen) report the same.

Dongles, Memory sticks are ok (low powered).

• 1 month later...

Hey thanks, both of you.

Well, the HI powered devices works only if the keyboard is connected with an aluminum iMac :S

It is clearly mentioned on the Apple Keyboard webpage, *sigh* I never read the last lines :blink:

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah but surely that's not going to put everyone off, right? If it works in high-power mode with some other Mac, that just means that when that Mac detects this keyboard attached, it shoves more amperage down the line to feed the keyboard's hub. So, all we need to do is hack an extension cable to bypass the power feed to the keyboard from the USB controller and directly give the keyboard however much amperage is coming out of the aforementioned Mac! Sure, it's an extra wall-wart, but it lets us use the keyboard to its full potential.

Now, anyone got a multimeter, an Apple Aluminum keyboard and an Aluminum iMac?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, another problem. Since I started using this keyboard, my iPod and usb drives started doing weird stuffs (not getting detected at all, not ejecting properly, data loss, file not transferring, system unstability... the list goes on). When transferring files, if I unplug the Apple keyboard, everything starts working fine immediately.

Anyone else having this problem as well?

It is not easy to move into an A4 Tech keyboard after using Apple keyboard for a while :censored2: