[Solution] Unknown AHCI, Orange Disk Icons in 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 for Intel and JMicron

Gujal

152 posts in this topic

看不太懂啊??my motherboard is msi-p35-neo2-fr(ich9R) ,Can i install

Yes you can use it. Even if your machine does not have ICHx or Jmicron, installing these kexts does not break anything.

I had everything working in 10.5.4 but after the update to 10.5.5 my hard-drives became orange (external). Everything in my system uses SATA so I grabbed the two .kext files in the v2 zip that was posted and added them (using hidden EFI Partition method) with all my other kext (except for the AppleHDA.kext that goes in the /System/Library/Extensions folder). In System Profiler I can see them being recognized but for some reason they are showing up as orange. In 10.5.4 they were correct using your first fix.

Any ideas?

Attaching an image to show what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

Put this kext in the Extensions.mkext to get rid of the orange icons with the hidden EFI partion or equivalent way or booting.

IOAHCIBlockStorageiconfix.kext.zip

Installed it thanks to OSX86 tools and I backed up the previous files.

Result: working great on a EP35 DS4 Rev 2.1

WARNING

On this motherboard if you use (2nd part in Bios) SATA/IDE in AHCI mode this will cause Kernel Panic !!! you won't not be able to start again the OS

Here is how it works

first part of RAID/SATA on AHCI -

RAID 0 - 3 IN NATIVE

but You have to disable SATA/IDE (2nd part in bios) or put on IDE ... ( had some eject trouble KP when used IDE choice) SO in Brief NO AHCI HERE or you will have a wondefull HP even in -x -f -s mode !!!

For the rest it's working...

It works fine on my P5E. No more orange Icons. Thx!

But now Coverflow is not working correctly anymore and jpegs and movie files are shown as normal jpeg icons and quicktime icons instead of showing a small preview icon. Any ideas why ? :)

Hello, this fix works always perfect for my System (Asus P5B-E with 2 SATA HDDs and on SATA DVD Drive, installing from patched 10.5.4 or 10.5.5).

What`s the difference to other similar fixes - like in this thread (is this a similar fix SATA related?) I made the experience to install only the kext`s i really need or which directly are related to a problem. Sorry for misunderstanding something - quite new but learning and reading all the days :)

EDIT: Now again my 20x Installation in 5 days of OS beside work, and only installed this Orange Fix and nothing more. No IDE Jmicron stuff or so, and now Restart, Reboot and Shutdown works. FINE work dude! Horay!

What`s the difference to other similar fixes - like in this thread (is this a similar fix SATA related?) I made the experience to install only the kext`s i really need or which directly are related to a problem. Sorry for misunderstanding something - quite new but learning and reading all the days :(

The difference is that this is using Apple's AHCI kext, no binary modifications. The other kext is a community developed /patch kext to use SATA IDE Mode (not AHCI)

AHCI mode has the following advantage over IDE

1. Native Command Queueing

2. Hot plug/unplug

3. Ripple Power up

The difference is that this is using Apple's AHCI kext, no binary modifications. The other kext is a community developed /patch kext to use SATA IDE Mode (not AHCI)

AHCI mode has the following advantage over IDE

1. Native Command Queueing

2. Hot plug/unplug

3. Ripple Power up

Ok, everything clear now. I don`t have to fix IDE SATA mode, since i don`t have any IDE drives anymore, which caused with the IDE fixes shutdown and reboot problems (using modified JMicronATA Kexts). I also have in my Vista installation AHCI support now, so i don`t have to go to the BIOS anymore.

I found also a good way for me, because i have a IDE / SATA to USB controller here, were i can also use my old IDE Hdd`s and my LiteON DVD drive. It isn`t that fast, but it is enough for what i need. And i don`t need this big IDE cables in my case.

Thanks for help and this good AHCI installing workaround. Greetings!

Hi i am new to this i am currently downloading iDeneb 10.5.5 its going to take at least a day so i am getting all the info i need!!!

i have an

Asus P5Q motherboard

Intel Q6600 Procssor

ATI redeon HD 3450 Graphics card

and 8Gb of ram

i have tried to intall iATKOS 4.1i 10.5.5 this morning but it just came up with loads of writing and an error and asked for A: (floppy drive) do you think this is a bios problem and i need to update it??

on that subject do i put the .ROM file onto a floppy and intall it through tools in the bios??

Thanks for the helpfull post!!!

Damn, my leopard 10.5.5 worked nearly fully, except the unknown ahci controller, but it worked.

I used the ahcifixv2 withkexts from this topic as I have 10.5.5, so I just deleted the old ones and replaced them with yours.

checked permissions and I got read and write permissions.

Then I used disk utitlity to fix the permissions.

Rebooted, I get to the white screen with the circling thingie. And after a while I get a red stop sign.

So can't boot anymore in leopard.

Is there a solution for this? booting with some options? Or a sort of safe mode boot as in windows? So that I can repair this?

My mobo is Gigabyte GA-P45-DS4 with ICH10.

Please can somebody help?

edit : tried do boot with F8 boot: -f, this works and I enter Leopard, everything seems to work and I got no longer the unknown ahci controller,

but ICH10-R.

But I can't do a normal boot, only with -f it works.

What can I do to get rid of this (not using -f) and boot the normal way?

tried do boot with F8 boot: -f, this works and I enter Leopard, everything seems to work and I got no longer the unknown ahci controller,

but ICH10-R.

But I can't do a normal boot, only with -f it works.

What can I do to get rid of this (not using -f) and boot the normal way?

As per Gigabyte Website, GA-EP45-DS4 has South Bridge: Intel® ICH10R. So the kext is correctly recognizing your chipset

Try installing the patched kexts again using KextHelper. This should install with correct permissions and may fix your problem

Hey Gujal...

Your solution worked like a CHARM. Thanks.

I've been trying to get my Marvell RAID Adapter on my Intel D975XBX2 (badaxe2) mobo working. I wonder (since you seem so up on this) if you could lend a hand?

A copy of my LSPCI dump:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 82975X Memory Controller Hub [8086:277c]

00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82975X PCI Express Root Port [8086:277d]

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 01)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [8086:27d0] (rev 01)

00:1c.4 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 5 [8086:27e0] (rev 01)

00:1c.5 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 6 [8086:27e2] (rev 01)

00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:27c8] (rev 01)

00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:27c9] (rev 01)

00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:27ca] (rev 01)

00:1d.3 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:27cb] (rev 01)

00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller [8086:27cc] (rev 01)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge [8086:244e] (rev e1)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801GH (ICH7DH) LPC Interface Bridge [8086:27b0] (rev 01)

00:1f.1 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller [8086:27df] (rev 01)

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller [8086:27c1] (rev 01)

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:27da] (rev 01)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8800 GT 512 [10de:0602] (rev a2)

03:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6145 SATA II PCI-E controller [11ab:6145] (rev a1) <- This is the second (RAID) Controller in question...

04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller [8086:109a]

05:04.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) [104c:8024]

This post shows what another user used in his info.plist:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=654510

but the addition he used;

<key>GenericAHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundeIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>

<key>Chipset Name</key>

<string>AHCI Controller</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAHCI</string>

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x01060000&0xffff0000</string> <==I only change this!!!

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>800</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Marvell 88SE61XX SATA/RAID controler</string>

</dict>

aside from mis-spelling controller,has the IOPCIClassMatch string in a format different from what you have in the string that worked for my first onboard controller: (ICH7RHCI) <string>0x27c18086</string> .

Would you be so kind as to show me the format I would have to use to get the Marvell Controller working?

It's the LAST DEVICE that isn't working on my BadAxe2.

Thanks for your time and consideration...

Regards,

Rick

Hey Gujal...

Your solution worked like a CHARM. Thanks.

I've been trying to get my Marvell RAID Adapter on my Intel D975XBX2 (badaxe2) mobo working. I wonder (since you seem so up on this) if you could lend a hand?

Would you be so kind as to show me the format I would have to use to get the Marvell Controller working?

It's the LAST DEVICE that isn't working on my BadAxe2.

Thanks for your time and consideration...

Regards,

Rick

Try adding the following in to my Info.plist and report back. If it works correctly I will add it to my release.

<key>MarvellSATA</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>
		<key>Chipset Name</key>
		<string>Marvell 88SE6145 SATA II</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AppleAHCI</string>
		<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		<string>0x614511ab</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>2000</integer>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
		<key>Vendor Name</key>
		<string>Marvell</string>
	</dict>

Didn't work.

Boots fine after mod - shows the controller in profiler.

But - If I attach a drive to the controller and try to boot, I get this error:

Nov 17 20:39:30 RickMac kextd[10]: IOKitWaitQuiet() timed out waiting to write kernel symbols

System will continue to boot, but profiler errors when trying to view SATA, and drive does not show in finder...

I dunno if this secondary controller is ever going to work. Is there a drop-in card (not necessarily RAID) that will work so I can add more drives into my system - in the event we cannot get this working?

Thanks for your help...

Rick

Hi to everyone

interesting what's cooking around hire, :) Just I would like to ask if following what Master Gyjal show in this topic  could help to fix the 3G RAM problem with  Motion crash.

Everything was working fine before I upgrade from 2G into 4G RAM and now Motion and Livetype Crash when I try to open the application..and this is happening because the extra RAM.

Some applications only show 3G available when they opened and check the system,but System profiler show that I have installed 4G...so what's going on ? will this trick fix this problem ..?

Many Thanks

3042675186_b2b1c347b5_o.jpg

Version 10.5,5 Mac OS X  Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07 

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I'd post a message thanking you Gujal - the updated kexts fixed my icon colors like a charm.

I'm running an EP35-DS4 with an E-FIX module - and that was the only thing that didn't work correctly after a fresh install off the original OSX Retail Disc. I appreciate the hard work you've put into keeping this current too - people like you are what make this community so great.