[Solution] Unknown AHCI, Orange Disk Icons in 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 for Intel and JMicron

Gujal

152 posts in this topic

[

Hello Gujal,

I have tested your AHCI Mode Configuration and I can say it works fast for me, the jmicron controller crashes randomly, if I have more than 3 GB installed. I´m very sorry about this, but there seem to be no solution at this time. I have a small issue with parallels. If I want to add a virtual diskimage there´s a dialog box, where I can choose this file . In AHCI Mode this dialog box is locked, so I can´t select anything.

I tried the same in "old" IDE Mode and here I can select the harddisk file. I tried other dialog boxes in several applications and they all work in AHCI Mode. Only parallels won´t work. Do you have an idea what this could be ?

Thank´s for your work

Greetings from

Gary

I have tested your AHCI Mode Configuration and I can say it works fast for me, the jmicron controller crashes randomly, if I have more than 3 GB installed. I´m very sorry about this, but there seem to be no solution at this time.

Hi, Gary, I had the same problem as you, on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. The only way to use 4 GB of memory without having any freezes/lockups after more than 3 GB of memory are used is to stay away from Jmicron altogether. Which means you would have to give up the use of the IDE port on the motherboard (disable it in the BIOS). Fortunately for me, my hard disks were SATA and I could choose between a DVD RW on IDE and another on SATA. I tried the one on SATA and tested exaustively. I'm happy to say everything is stable, no more freezes whatsoever.

What you gain: - you can use 4 GB of memory instead of 3 GB;- you can use all 4 SATA ports instead of 2.

What you lose:- the IDE connector on your motherboard.

For me, no question about it, IDE had to go. As for you, I guess it depends on the hardware configuration you have. Good luck.

Thanks, I now have regular drive icons (although I liked that orange color instead :P. Note to all users, you must have a password on your account to do this. If you do not, you will go anywhere.

I have a P5K Premium (ICH9R) with Kalyway 10.5.2 with the 10.5.3 update :)

Thanks for documenting the fix.

It appears it might have also solved my SATA drive from randomly freaking out on shutdown as well.

Typically if I let the box go into sleep mode, come back out and then later shutdown/reboot, the heads on the SATA drive would thrash about and would hang the box.

The same versions of the kexts you list are there after a 10.5.4 update so copying the Info.plist over was no problem.

@westwaerts

Installed Intel Matrix Storage drivers in XP. Either press F6 during install and put a floppy with the driver or create a custom XP cd by integrating the driver into the standard XP install CD using nlite.

Someone in this forum had also documented a way of installing the drivers after XP had been installed. Have a look around

intel matrix drivers:

at the intel site i dont read they support ich8, only ich8r.

does it work for you ? which version did you install ( 6,7,8 ) ?

yep i have the instructions for installing them afterwards.

The drivers from ASUS P5B Downloads Intel® Matrix Storage Manager Driver v6.0.0.1022 worked fine.

Version 7 and 8 from Intel worked for me after adding the PCI Ven & Dev id to the inf files.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmmm I'm afraid it doesn't work for me. Though I see the hardrive as aluminum icon but in the profiler it says "Unknown AHCI Controller". I tried to copy the files using Kexthelper and Terminal but no luck. Can someone tell me what am i doing wrong here?

Here's my spec btw:

Proc: E7200 @ 2.5ghz

Mobo: ASUS P5Q

Video: EFX 8600 GT 256mb

RAM: 4gb 800mhz but only recognized as 667mhz

HD: 250GB SATA

Thanks!

I really screwed up. I removed the .dir and installed them as kext. Now i think I have the wrong .kext in there because this isn't working (even when i go in and just drop the .plist file).

I feel like an idiot. How does one get the old kext files back? I have the original install CD

Doesn't fuly work for me. It gets rid of organge icons, but disks attached to my external eSATA drive is now silver instead of orange, and system profiler only recognizes my Jmicron controller, not the ICH9.

Shuttle SP35P2

Intel P35 + ICH9R

(4) on board 3.0Gb/s bandwidth SATAII (RAID 0,1,10,5)

(2) 3.0Gb/s bandwidth eSATA in back panel

(1) UltraDMA 100 channel master from JMicron JMB368

As far as I know all SATA on this model are controlled by ICH9R, so your kext may be incorrect for my config since I beleive yours is set-up for Jmicron controlling external SATA?

So Gujal, can you please share how to edit these kexts for different SATA configurations such as mine?

TIA!

Hmmm I'm afraid it doesn't work for me. Though I see the hardrive as aluminum icon but in the profiler it says "Unknown AHCI Controller". I tried to copy the files using Kexthelper and Terminal but no luck. Can someone tell me what am i doing wrong here?

Here's my spec btw:

Proc: E7200 @ 2.5ghz

Mobo: ASUS P5Q

Video: EFX 8600 GT 256mb

RAM: 4gb 800mhz but only recognized as 667mhz

HD: 250GB SATA

Thanks!

Asus P5Q is ICH10 I think. I have to update the Info.plist for that. The current file only works up to ICH9R. Will do it soon.

Doesn't fuly work for me. It gets rid of organge icons, but disks attached to my external eSATA drive is now silver instead of orange, and system profiler only recognizes my Jmicron controller, not the ICH9.

Shuttle SP35P2

Intel P35 + ICH9R

(4) on board 3.0Gb/s bandwidth SATAII (RAID 0,1,10,5)

(2) 3.0Gb/s bandwidth eSATA in back panel

(1) UltraDMA 100 channel master from JMicron JMB368

As far as I know all SATA on this model are controlled by ICH9R, so your kext may be incorrect for my config since I beleive yours is set-up for Jmicron controlling external SATA?

So Gujal, can you please share how to edit these kexts for different SATA configurations such as mine?

TIA!

The Info.plist defines the following

ICH9AHCI, ICH9MAHCI, ICH9MRAID, ICH9RAHCI, ICH9RRAID.

If your SATA Controller is setup as AHCI in BIOS, it should show up. Have a look at the Info.plist file especially the IOPCIPrimaryMatch string. You can boot into windows to see what the VenID and DevID are for your controller.

OK. Updated the Info.plist file for ICH10 and ICH10R. The PCI IDs came from http://pciids.sourceforge.net/, so you guys can add it for more controllers as required for e.g, nForce.

Have attached the complete 10.5.5 kext too with modifications as it seems quite a few people have troubles installing just the plist file.

Attachments in the First Post

I had everything working in 10.5.4 but after the update to 10.5.5 my hard-drives became orange (external). Everything in my system uses SATA so I grabbed the two .kext files in the v2 zip that was posted and added them (using hidden EFI Partition method) with all my other kext (except for the AppleHDA.kext that goes in the /System/Library/Extensions folder). In System Profiler I can see them being recognized but for some reason they are showing up as orange. In 10.5.4 they were correct using your first fix.

Any ideas?

Attaching an image to show what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

post-230597-1223657115_thumb.png

I had everything working in 10.5.4 but after the update to 10.5.5 my hard-drives became orange (external). Everything in my system uses SATA so I grabbed the two .kext files in the v2 zip that was posted and added them (using hidden EFI Partition method) with all my other kext (except for the AppleHDA.kext that goes in the /System/Library/Extensions folder). In System Profiler I can see them being recognized but for some reason they are showing up as orange. In 10.5.4 they were correct using your first fix.

Any ideas?

Attaching an image to show what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

Can you try backing up IOAHCIFamily.kext from your /System/Library/Extensions folder and install the one modified by me into /System/Library/Extensions folder, for testing. May be 10.5.5 expects the kext there.

And there are no changes to IOAHCIFamily.kext between my earlier version and v2. I have only modified AppleAHCIPort.kext in the new version to support ICH10 and ICH10R

yay thanks! cant wait to go home to try it... post the results as soon as possible. Thanks again and more power!

Edit:

Just want to post that it's working as charm right now. At long last! Thanks a lot Gujal!

Slight OT: I hope Taruga will also come up with full audio kext for ASUS P5Q just like for the ICH10 by Gujal. ;)

OK. Updated the Info.plist file for ICH10 and ICH10R. The PCI IDs came from http://pciids.sourceforge.net/, so you guys can add it for more controllers as required for e.g, nForce.

Have attached the complete 10.5.5 kext too with modifications as it seems quite a few people have troubles installing just the plist file.

Attachments in the First Post